Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will there be any organ brands left in ten years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by daryljeffreyl View Post
    An Allen church or classicial, or theatre organ, sold to an individual person, and placed in their home or place of resident, would by my definition be considered a home organ sale.
    And I can agree with that,as that seems to be happening more and more these days! I'm a member of the Allen Organ Owners Group on Facebook,and I see photos almost everyday of owners have a large three manual theater or classical organs installed in their homes,...so to me,...that would be considered a home organ sale as well.
    Late 1980's Rodgers Essex 640

Comment

I have huge three manual Allen in my home too. and it takes up a room. you surely can't miss it when you walk in the house

Comment

Originally posted by auronoxe View Post

There is one difference that I really like:

I played home organs for about 15-20 years. Then I switched to a (at that time) high end Roland G800 arranger keyboard. And I liked it a lot (at that time I have been transporting it several times a year). About ten years ago I bought an old Aurora Organ in addition again. And then I knew what I missed all the time:

The slight trembling and slight shaking of the organ when I play the bass through its speakers That lets the instrument come alive. You can feel it with your fingers, with your whole body. It is not the same with the external speakers of the keyboard. (At least not if you play with a volume that does not disturb your neighbours ...).
        I can't agree more with you. after swapping to keyboards about 6 months ago i feel the same. I have some very good monitor speakers but you just dont "feel" part of the music/sound as you do with an organ
        Chris Nabil - Owner of a Roland Atelier 900 Platinum.

Comment

[QUOTE=KC9UDX;n57941

How would you convince someone that the cheap keyboards they call "pianos" can't do everything they'd want to do with a real organ?[/QUOTE]

When most people see the large price difference between new keyboards and organs, they will buy the keyboard. Unless you can transfer the used organ yourself to your place of residence, moving costs are expensive. Used organs can have issues that need to be serviced. You can buy a new keyboard model , and have it shipped to your house for free, unless it is an extremely cheap keyboard model. Keyboard are a different instrument, but extremely high quality, and ,in my opinion, give you more bang for the buck. If someone prefers the organ over the keyboard, and there was little difference in price between the two, they would likely choose the new organ. With the large price difference, most people won't choose the organ. Second choice doesn't mean that keyboards are inferior to organs. Keyboards are high quality instruments, priced right, but a different instrument. Some people just prefer keyboards over organs and won't switch under any conditions.
          Last edited by daryljeffreyl; 01-07-2019, 03:37 PM.

Comment

I agree just like piano is a much different instrument than the organ. I know that some folks put keyboards in a rack and use a MIDI pedalboard Sounds a lot like an organ and is much more portable I personally love the organ and will always have one. but if were a traveling musician in a band I would use keyboards and a midi pedalboard . For what musicians get paid it ain't worth the trouble of carrying a huge organ around

Comment

I do feel that the organ will be more of a cottage industry where people build them from old consoles and computers or more companies like artisan will make kits to install. I think Hauptwerk is a big indicator of where it's all going. my opinion.

Comment

Are Bohms decent? greatest or not good[/QUOTE]

The sound quality of any instrument, including organs, is subjective. The person buying the instrument must listen to the instrument and determine, for themselves, if they like the sound of the instrument.

Comment

I think organs nowadays are like cars, 98 out of 100 are going to be good, but then you will get the odd one that for some reason has issues. I looked at Bohm before replacing my old Wersi with a new Sonic, and heard pros and cons on both sides, to the point where one Bohm owner was on first name terms with the engineer after having so many problems. Similarly, the speakers inside the LS models of Wersi are awful, just as they were with my previous Wersi, so had to go with a pair of Adam A8X externals, which Sound wonderful.

So is this representative of Bohm, absolutely not, and I think either a Wersi or Bohm are going to be very similar, and for me it came down to the cabinet design and touch screen capability on the Wersi, which I loved. And yes Seamaster, I love the metallic black car paint!
                  Current Organ: Wersi Sonic OAX800
                  Previous Organs: Wersi Verona, Wersi Beta DX401, Yamaha FE-70, Yamaha B-75N
                  Previous Other: Wersi MAX-1, Wersi OX7, Korg N5, Yamaha DX27

Comment

Originally posted by andyg View Post

I know what you both mean, and you may well consider a classical or theatre model installed at home as a 'home organ', but as far as this Forum is concerned, the 'rule' (for want of a better term) has always been that the Home Organ section is only for entertainment style instruments like Lowrey, Yahama, Thomas, Kawai (and any of the other 40+ brands that once existed). Electronic theatre and electronic classical organs already have their own respective sections, and that's where discussion of these should really go.

In terms of sales numbers, I can't recall ever seeing separate figures for sales of theatre models from Allen or Rodgers, just 'units'.
                    If sales of home organs, per your definition, continue to decline each year, it may be more practical, perhaps, to define organs by who purchases them- a homeowner or an institution, such as a church. Then further subdivide organ sales in the following way: Home-digital or electronic, Home-pipe organ, Institutional-digital or electronic, and Institutional-pipe organ.

Comment

Originally posted by dressur4 View Post
                      Listen to Rudy Rosa on his KEYBOARD setup you will most certainly feel that keyboards are NOT inferior I like any keyboard instrument I love rock keyboardists to the classical organ I love them all.. and yes most certainly different but none better than the others I personally like classical and home organs the most. But because I like something better then something else. there are others that feel different
                      I agree. I am guilty of using poor choice of words in some of my threads. The keyboard is a different instrument than an organ, but certainly not inferior. I have both. A person may prefer the organ to the keyboard due to the fact that they learned to play the organ first. Keyboards seem to offer more features for their selling price than organs. Keyboard manufacturers, starting in 1980's, seemed to hold down their prices. They recognized that consumers were price sensitive. A Yamaha Tyros, or Genos, may seem expensive, by keyboard standards, but is a bargain compared to a new home organ.

Comment

Originally posted by andyg View Post
                        As someone who worked on some of the very first electronic keyboards, and has been involved with their design and development ever since, I have to say that they very definitely are not second best. They're different, played in a different way and taught in a different way. And the results that they can produce - especially when you have a high-end keyboard in the hands of someone who really knows how to play them - can be stunning.

Better than the organ? No. Inferior? No. Just different.
                        I am guilty of using poor wording in some of my threads. Keyboards are high quality instruments, but different from the organs. I have both, though mostly older ones. Some people may prefer organs because they learned to play an organ first, before keyboards. Starting in the 1980,s, keyboard manufacturers seemed to hold down their prices. They seemed to recognize that consumers were and are price sensitive. A Yamaha Tyros, or now Genos, may seem expensive, by keyboard standards, but is a bargain by home organ prices.

When someone chooses a keyboard, over the organ as their second choice, this does not mean that they consider the keyboard inferior to the organ. Price may be a major reason. Second choice doesn't mean inferior.

Comment

Working...
                        X