Single manual spinet organ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single manual spinet organ

Has anyone ever seen a single manual spinet organ? I believe I saw one at the old sears store in Nashville when I was in high school back in the early sixties.

I've seen many. I know a guy who still has one. Just the other day I gave him a hard time about the fact that it can't be seen under all the stuff that's being stored on top of it. It was his go-to instrument when we were in a band together. (Mine was the Yamaha PSR-410).

Comment

Several manufacturers made such instruments--I know of Baldwin, Thomas, Allen (under the RMI label), and Rodgers--others, too, I'm sure.

Comment

Hammond certainly, and Wurlitzer possibly, if memory serves.

Comment

Well, there are hundreds of keyboards, like the PSR series from Yamaha, but as to single manual organs in consoles. Well, make that dozens of them! It depends on whether you're thinking of the 'fun machine' ones with split keyboards and auto accompaniment or the straight ones, or indeed chord organs (a few of them, too).

But as for a spinet organ with one manual and spinet pedals, you've got me scratching my head! I'm sure there must be some.
          It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
          Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
          Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
          Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Excuse me for asking, but isn't that a single manual spinet lying on the ground next to the dual manual spinet organ centre bottom? :-P

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	606868

Did'nt somebody on this forum used to say "burn em" :embarrassed:
            Neil Jenson 'Connoisseur' 3/35 VTPO. Gulbransen Rialto II.
            Building a full set of WERSI W3 voice filters and designing new Hammond X-66 voice filters for a new MIDI controlled organ.
            Various Leslie speaker projects including 'Rotosonic' L102, L103, L212S and building a new L122 cabinet.

Comment

My first electric organ was a Yamaha SK100. I went from that to a Hammond RT3.

Name:	934705F9-D357-49F2-B14E-70D9EF23C849.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	606869
              Hammond C3, M102, H112, XB3, XB5, X5, TTR-100
              Lowrey Heritage DSO-1, Yamaha E70
              Farfisa Compact Duo Mk2, Vox Continental 300, Gibson G201, Korg BX3 Mk1
              Leslie 122 x2, 145 x2, 910
              www.drawbardave.co.uk

Comment

• Organplayer66
                Organplayer66 commented
                Editing a comment
                Now that was an upgrade!

Originally posted by Doddy.van.Straaten View Post
              Excuse me for asking, but isn't that a single manual spinet lying on the ground next to the dual manual spinet organ centre bottom? :-P

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31682[/ATTACH]

Did'nt somebody on this forum used to say "burn em" :embarrassed:
              Possible, but there's a thread on this forum that attempts to ID every instrument in the photo. I think that may be a Hammond J and we can only see one manual.
              It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
              Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
              Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Originally posted by andyg View Post
                Well, there are hundreds of keyboards, like the PSR series from Yamaha, but as to single manual organs in consoles. Well, make that dozens of them! It depends on whether you're thinking of the 'fun machine' ones with split keyboards and auto accompaniment or the straight ones, or indeed chord organs (a few of them, too).

But as for a spinet organ with one manual and spinet pedals, you've got me scratching my head! I'm sure there must be some.
                I've seen a handful of them in the trash over the decades. Transistorised, cheap, and the kind that I left in the trash without too much guilt.

I distinctly recall seeing them without chord buttons, or any fancy automation, because I've never seen one like that in the trash. But now you've got me thinking, I'm not sure if any had pedals or not. Full wooden consoles though, not keyboard-on-a-stand. Split keyboards maybe.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Drawbar Dave View Post
                My first electric organ was a Yamaha SK100. I went from that to a Hammond RT3.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31683[/ATTACH]
                With that compass does it still qualify as a spinet?

Comment

Originally posted by Doddy.van.Straaten View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31682[/ATTACH]

Didn't somebody on this forum used to say "burn em" :embarrassed:
                  You mean "burn 'em with fire"? Yup. Seamaster's still around and he still says that. Personally, I find it sad that these organs were destroyed but oh, well...

Comment

The most depressing thought: which have been destroyed more: guitars on stage or organs by random organ-unappreciators?

What's been on my mind though is that the more I think about it, it's entirely possible that all the single manual organs I've seen might be split-keyboard, making none of them spinets.

Comment

Here's a single manual, Hammond Piper.

Name:	Hammond_Piper_burning_1.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	606871
                      Unwanted Bitcoin? Dispose of them safely here:14hjbheQVki8eG75otRK4d2MQBarCCWQfJ

Comment

Originally posted by beel m View Post
                        You mean "burn 'em with fire"? Yup. Seamaster's still around and he still says that. Personally, I find it sad that these organs were destroyed but oh, well...
                        To be fair, I only say it of organs that should have been burned before they passed the factory gates.

Comment

Originally posted by picothinker View Post
                          Here's a single manual, Hammond Piper.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31692[/ATTACH]
                          There's one for sale locally for $150. Normally I wouldn't even consider it for that price. But you're making me want it.

Comment

There are some models that should have been strangled at birth, for sure, and others that have lived a long life and are now irreparable. I think we can set them ablaze with a clear conscience.

Only trouble is, we may not agree on the ones that should not have escaped into the organ world! :) We often have a soft sport for organs we've owned and I have colleagues who are rather attached and sometimes very protective about makes that they've worked for - perfectly understandable as, good or bad, they've paid the mortgage and put food on the table! :)

Comment

Working...
                            X