Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wurlitzer 4460 clarification

Hi all,

I picked up a Wurlitzer 4460 yesterday thinking it was a free reed, I really wanted to try one out. According to the Electronic Organ Reference List (a resource that I highly value), the Wurly 4460 is a free reed spinet with 13 pedals. The one I picked up (it says model 4460 on the plate) is a full 5 octave 25 pedal console. Removing the back, I see a sea of 12FQ8s. I don't see a blower in there, although I suppose it might be hiding behind the wall of steel plates and 12FQ8s, I haven't looked back there yet.

In the discussions of this organ on the forum, some seem to refer to reeds, some seem to refer to tube oscillators. There weren't two different 4460s were there (with the exception of with and without reverb maybe)?

Marty

My copy of the EORG List (Version 8.2, dated May 2012) shows it as a 25 pedal, 61 note manual organ using vacuum tube frequency dividers for the tone generators. An older version of the list might have had an error in its listing or perhaps you misread--or followed the wrong line.

Comment

The Wurlitzer 4460 is an all Tube organ. I know about all the models of Wurlitzer. I have the spinet version of the 4460 which is the 4100 and it is all Tube.

James
      Baldwin Church Organ Model 48C
      Baldwin Spinet 58R
      Lowrey Spinet SCL
      Wurlitzer 4100A
      Crown Pump Organ by Geo. P. Bent, Chicago, Illinois

Organs I hope to obtain in the future:

Conn Tube Minuet or Caprice even a transistor Caprice with the color coded tabs
      Gulbransen H3 or G3, or V.
      Wurlitzer 44, 4410, 4420, ES Reed Models, 4300, 4500, Transistor Models

Comment

I suspect that you misread the list. On the line above there is the 4430, which is a free reed spinet model.
        It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
        Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
        Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

Comment

Yep the 4460 is from the 1960s. I had one for about ten years. I also had the Leslie cabinet (which I wish I still had) and the Sideman rhythm machine. At the time it was the top of the Wurlitzer line.

Comment

Thanks guys, I didn't realize there was more than one version of the list out there. My copy is version 6.0 from 2003. Maybe it has collector value? . In version 6.0 the 4460 is listed as 1961, FR 13 pedal, just like the 4430 above it and the 4462 below it. All the same. A work in progress I guess. Cham-ed, if you want another shot at it all, I've got two 4460s, apparently fully functional, two benches, one Wurlitzer Spectra-tone rotary speaker cabinet (not Leslie), a Sideman rhythm machine, and a chimeatron (it needs work). It would be a bit of a trip from Champaign to Lake Geneva Wi, 3 1/2 hours each way, but not too bad. I like it, but I could use the space back. I had it out in the rehearsal room at the music school, a few people tried it out, but nobody fell in love with it. With this crowd, it's B3 and Leslie or nothing. I'm really in need of a Leslie for my Hammond collection.

Marty

Comment

Hi Marty,

I have nothing to add to the Wurlitzer discussion ( and I don't need anymore organs at the moment either ), but I just wanted to welcome you to the forum. There are a number of Wisconsinites on here, and it is good to see another Cheesehead.
              Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 !!! ), E-5AR, FX-1 ( X 2 !! ), FX-20, EL-25 ( X 2, 1 chopped, 1 not ). Allen 601D, ADC 6000D. Baldwin 626. Lowrey CH32-1. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with Vista ), Allen L123 ( with Navigator ). Rodgers 755.

Comment

Hi Larry, thanks for the welcome. I'm pretty new here. I'm not a hard core organist, my instrument of choice is usually bass guitar, although I started on piano. But now that I'm semi-retired, I'm fooling with organs, I was born to play keys, I have big hands, I can span 15 notes . I have to admit, my influences were Light My Fire, In A Gadda Da Vida, Whiter Shade of Pale, Gimme Some Lovin', and anything by Keith Emerson or Little Feat. Hammond and a Leslie moves my soul .

Comment

Working...
                X