Kawai XR150 missing keyboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kawai XR150 missing keyboards

I have a Kawai XR150 that previous owner removed upper and lower manuals and sold on craigslist. He played it via MIDI from another unit. Now I would like to reinstall the keyboards if I can find them somewhere, and play the Kawai via intended upper and lower manuals. Other than eBay and Craigslist, any suggestions as to where I might look? Anyone have a unit that is being parted out? I know I could just get a better organ, possibly cheaper, but this one is already in my house, not looking forward to moving it out and something else in.
    Thanks!

The organ is almost 40 years old, so spares are non-existent. You would have to therefore find another working XR series organ, take out the manuals and associated wiring, then dump the rest! And then you'd have the fun of putting it into the XR150. That just doesn't make sense.

In fact there's so much hassle involved here to try to rebuild a low-spec organ, that I honestly wouldn't bother trying. If you want to stay with the Kawai stable, find something better, like the SR4 or, if you've got room for something with a bigger footprint, the SR6. An SR4 should be almost free, the SR6 has held some value but its price is volatile. I sold my last one for just £28, but some have sold more recently for over £150. Not much money for a fantastic organ that originally sold for £7000.

PS: I helped design the SR series, but the XR150 is like nothing I ever sketched out. Perhaps like the 'mythical' SR1 model that no-one ever saw - the first model in the range was the SR2.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

Comment

Originally posted by andyg View Post
      If you want to stay with the Kawai stable, find something better, like the SR4 or, if you've got room for something with a bigger footprint, the SR6. An SR4 should be almost free, the SR6 has held some value but its price is volatile.
      Thanks for excellent advice. My room is small, and I like the small footprint of the XR150, just 46" (117 cm) X 18" (46 cm) without bench. Would SR4 have about this same footprint? Any other recommendations for organs of this smaller physical size?
      Thanks again,

Comment

An SR4 would be an inch or so wider, but no more than that.Probably the same depth, front to back and maybe an inch or so taller. SR3 would be the same as the SR4. SR2 would be the same size as your X150. SR6 would be rather bigger! No, make that much bigger.
        It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.

Comment

You are an excellent candidate for a NON-WORKING Kawai. I have heard nothing about Kawai keyboard faults so any organ of similar vintage should offer what you need and broken organs tend to be very attractively priced! So take Andy's advice (XR series) but don't worry about it being in playing order. The electronics are almost always what fails, not the manuals. If you succeed, you will then experience the shortfall from the better models he recommended but if it's your first, you'll probably find it acceptable until your skill and taste improves.
          Roland Atelier AT-90s, AT-80s, AT-70, 30, and 15. Roland VR-760 combo
          Yamaha S-90, Kurzweil PC-3x, Casio Privia PX-330, Roland E-80, G-70, BK-5, Leslie 760, 820
          Moved on:
          Allen 3MT/Hauptwerk, Technics GA1, Yamaha HX1, AR80, numerous Hammonds, including 2 M's, an L, 2 A-100's, XP-2, XM-1/1c, & an XK-3. Roland Atelier AT-30, 60r, 80, & 20r(2 units), and a slew of Leslies (147, 142, 760, 900, 330).
          Korg Triton Le-61, Casio Privia PX-310 & 110, and Kurzweils: PC-2x, SP-88, Pro-III, K1000

Comment

Now I realize I am missing more than just the manuals, the entire finish metalwork that surrounds the manuals, and mounts the upper manual is missing. So I would need to find another XR150, broken or working, and the chances of that seem slim. I think it would make more sense to look for the SR4, or something in another brand of a similar size.

Comment

There are a few other makes that made small models. I'd stick with Japanese makes for reliability reasons. That means Yamaha, Kawai and Technics. As well as the Kawais I mentioned, there are the small Technics EN and EA series models, the smallest are tinier than your XR150. Yamahe had the MC and MR series, as well as the HC and HE series.

From what you now tell us, I'm afraid yours in destined for the dumpster. There's little, if any, value in parting it out as there will be few, if any, other XR150 owners needing parts.

Comment

Working...
              X