Forum Top Banner Ad

Collapse

Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many Lowrey TBO (or TBO-1) owners do we have here?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How many Lowrey TBO (or TBO-1) owners do we have here?

    I picked up my TBO several years ago for $50, delivered to me. It still has some minor issues, but most functions are working. (I'm always fixing other people's gear, so mine gets put to the back burner sometimes.)

    I find the TBO a very musically useful organ. You can dial in lots of cool sounds, especially if you like 60s psychedelia.

    There is some unevenness to how the keys on the upper manual behave, and I have considered trying to undertake replacing all the capacitors that affect attack/sustain, but that would be a big job. Has anyone done it?
    I'm David. 'Dave' is someone else's name.

  • #2
    Moved to Home Organs, David.

    The TBO tends to get overshadowed by the venerable DSO and DSO-1 but it's still a darned good organ. Just missing that 5 1/3' Quint.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

    New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

    Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
    Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

    Comment


    • #3
      That's cool. I considered originally posting it to Home Organs, but I was thinking that it's probably a more popular instrument among Combo Organ enthusiasts since it shares many circuits and sounds with the Gibson G-101 and Gibson G-201/Lowrey T2. I have it alongside my Vox Continental, Farfisa Compact Duo, and Rheem Mark VII.

      At least it doesn't heat up a room quite as much as a DSO.
      I'm David. 'Dave' is someone else's name.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by David Anderson View Post
        At least it doesn't heat up a room quite as much as a DSO.
        Very true, and the tube consoles could probably heat the whole house! :D

        In some ways I wish I'd bought the TBO-1 when I started playing pro. I wanted a TLO-K Holiday, but we'd sold it and couldn't get another for a week or two, and my new hotel gig started the next day! So I bought the Hammond T500 we had on the shop floor. Berkshire plus 760 plus Roland TR-77 drum box were also on the shop floor.....

        Played that combo a few times in hotels and pubs back in the very early 70s. Great sound.


        It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

        New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

        Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
        Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
        Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
        Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by David Anderson View Post
          That's cool. I considered originally posting it to Home Organs, but I was thinking that it's probably a more popular instrument among Combo Organ enthusiasts since it shares many circuits and sounds with the Gibson G-101 and Gibson G-201/Lowrey T2.
          David:

          I'd be interested in hearing more about how similar it is in sound and function to the Lowrey/Gibson combos.

          Alan

          Co-author, "Classic Keys: Keyboard Sounds That Launched Rock Music."
          See a preview: ClassicKeysBook.com
          Buy it now: www.amazon.com/dp/1574417762

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Alenhoff View Post
            I'd be interested in hearing more about how similar it is in sound and function to the Lowrey/Gibson combos.
            They were produced at the same time in the same place and, thus, use the same tone generator cards, LDR assemblies, etc... The differences are mainly in the details of the features, the ranges of the manuals, etc... The Doors' "Hello, I Love You" sounds the same played on a Lowrey TBO as it does on a Gibson G-101.

            I'm David. 'Dave' is someone else's name.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by David Anderson View Post

              They were produced at the same time in the same place and, thus, use the same tone generator cards, LDR assemblies, etc... The differences are mainly in the details of the features, the ranges of the manuals, etc... The Doors' "Hello, I Love You" sounds the same played on a Lowrey TBO as it does on a Gibson G-101.
              David:

              Thanks for the info. I'll file it away for some time when I'm in desperate need of a part for my G101.

              Alan
              Co-author, "Classic Keys: Keyboard Sounds That Launched Rock Music."
              See a preview: ClassicKeysBook.com
              Buy it now: www.amazon.com/dp/1574417762

              Comment

              Working...
              X