Kawai Organ XR 9000

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kawai Organ XR 9000

Does anybody know something about the 3 keyboard Kawai Organ XR9000 or 7000?
    When was it made? What did it sell for?

Approximately 1990 to 1991. If it has three manuals, then it's the XR9000. A derivative of the previous SR series organs (1987-1990), it used the second generation of Kawai's Additive Digital Dynamics system (ADD 2), which meant it could produce certain voices, like Piano, more accurately. It also had a set of General MIDI voices (lower manual only, I think). Rhythms and accompaniments were also updated from the SR series. They dispensed with the real Leslie unit in favour of electronic tremolo (yet again, and I would definitely spoken out against that had I still been on the R&D team at the time!). Can't tell you what the US selling price was. We only ever had one of each model, 7000 and 9000, in the UK and I doubt if either were sold at retail price, so I've never seen or played one, only seen the videos and read the info.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

Comment

Andy, I found in the reading of an user manual that to reset the organ was the same reset as the Lowrey...Hold same keys down and turn organ on.
      There were some other things that were like the Lowrey. Just found it strange.
      The Kawai XR9000 is selling for, or I should say they are asking around $900 or best offer. I have seen 2 of these this last week for sell here in the US.
      That seems very high for the age of the organ. Pay $1,000 and get a very nice Lowrey. Haven't looked at the Roland, yet.

Comment

Not surprising really, as Lowreys were all Kawai instruments post 1989. There are bound to be some similarities. Voicing and tone generation will be rather different, though, depending on which Lowrey you compare it with. Kawai had two technologies back then. ADD 1 or 2, which was 100% additive synthesis. And VM (Variable Memory), which was a mix of PCM sampled attack of the sound with synthesised (from sampled waveforms) sustain of the sound. Kawai used ADD, while Lowreys in the NT series used VM. Later Lowreys moved to more sampling, as did Kawai with the later DT series organs.

I agree, $900 is several hundred $ too high for an almost 30 year old organ.
        It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.

Comment

The video manual has been uploaded to YouTube, if your Japanese is up to it:

Comment

Not much out there on video to show the sounds off, just a couple of people who have absolutely no idea what they're up to. I guess there's still a lot of me in it, along with the updated stuff.

Comment

I am always looking at organs. I came across these Kawais for sale. It seemed the starting price was high for the age of the organs. I did see in the manual that it had things like the Lowrey. I always go to youtube to watch videos on the different organs and I agree that the videos had a lot to desire and I do not understand Japanese.
              Thanks for the help on understanding this organ. I will stick with my Wersi and Lowrey for now. Wife tells me 2 organs are all I need for now. I am still looking.
              There are so many old beautiful organs out there, I hope they don't go to the dump.

Comment

I think it's not bad as a midi controller. Anything newer with 2x61+25 will be much more exensive and here you get additional 44 also.
                Just a 25-pedalboard cost like 1200 Euro or more.

Comment

It would be a very basic, but functional MIDI controller for something like Hauptwerk. But it still isn't worth that much money and there are other MIDI equipped 61-61-25 alternatives from that era or slightly later that still don't cost much (if anything) more and might well be rather more flexible in terms of their MIDI spec. Depends on your location, and on how much of a hurry you are, of course!

Comment

Working...
                  X