No announcement yet.

Help Please --- re: Roland AT800

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

True, it's only the root bass note in the pedals that determines which diminished 7th or 7th flat 9th that you hear. Of course, when using automatics, that's not the case. Most, if not all, auto systems will require you to play a diminished 7th in root position to get the correct bass notes. As far as I'm aware, only Yamaha allow for 7th flat 9ths in various inversions, in their wonderful AI Fingered Mode. I have that on my Yamaha keyboard and I have successfully MIDI'd it up to the AT900P to drive the keyboard's automatics. But when playing the AT900P, if I do use the Arranger, the chords I naturally play will produce some odd sounding chords that the organ can't decipher!
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

Comment

• ToH
      ToH commented
      Editing a comment
      May it be possible to control the PSR:s registration memory from the registration buttons of the Atelier?

Oh Boy! Chords....

Agree totally on learning the fingered chords. Then inversions that allow smooth transitions. I play both the Roland and the Lowrey, and they have radically different chord recognition. Always takes me a moment to get my brain working on the rare occasions I use a style. I combat this a little by using the Roland pedal recognition. Once you get used to this, it really helps to get the bass correct and use all of the available chord types. The Lowrey has no pedal recognition, but when using a style, you can always manually play the bass and the style bass line stops. It resumes after you stop playing the pedals. So for a chord such as G/F, play the G chord on the Roland and the F pedal. (you have to turn pedal recog on for this to work) No sound results from the F pedal as you can't select a bass voice and use the style bass line. But, the style bass line will recognize you want an F bass and if you listen, the correct sound will result. On the Lowrey for the G/F you just play an F and usually this root sub has a series of subs, a walk up or down, or a turnaround that is perfect for 1-2 bars of manual bass. Then back to the style bass when you stop playing pedals.

And for a "Lowrey Punter" (a hobbyist that doesn't play the pedals) there is the infamous "pedals off" button so hitting a pedal doesn't foul up the style bass line. One of the nicer Lowrey features is you can use one natural and one sharp pedal (typically well up in the 2nd higher octave) to control functions such as fill in, sustain, and my favorite, sostenuto. With the 2 touch bars and 2 expression switches, this is a lot of flexibility.

Agree on the Yamaha also, having one-finger, fingered, and then advanced fingered really helps players at all levels. The Electone style second expression for articulation effects is something I'd love to see on the Genos, even though it has the art 1 and 2 buttons. I know an add on product with 2 exp pedals wouldn't be cheap, but what a useful tool for high end arrangers.

And you can play 7b9 chords on the Lowrey. Just need to use all five fingers. Same deal for the 13th chord with a flat nine. and the 7th with a #9. I know I am on my own island on this, but the Lowrey does a great job with unusual chords.

Last comment for anyone starting out on an organ or keyboard using fingered chords is to work in different keys. It is very difficult to break bad habits if you play for a few years in C, F, G, Bb, Eb, and D. Scales and arpeggios...
    Ron Wilson in Indy
    Allen R311, Lowrey Sterling, Roland 80-SL, Hammond Elegante & BV, Technics SX-FN3 & Too Many Keyboards...

Comment

Working...
    X