Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wich is better organ? Lowrey Lincolnwood Deluxe or Baldwin 45 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wich is better organ? Lowrey Lincolnwood Deluxe or Baldwin 45 ?

I want buy old tube organ, and I have now two offer.

1. Lowrey Lincolnwood Deluxe tube organ
    2. Baldwin 45 tube organ.

Which better organ?
    Which voice is better?

All 2 organs need to repair.
    Which one is worth buying?

Thnks for reply Jancsi

Got pictures of the contenders?
    Until The Next Dimension,
    Admiral Coluch.

-1929 Wangerin Pipe Organ Historian
    -Owner 1982 Rogers Specification 990

Comment

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-...507769-74-2457
      From Baldwin I haven't picture yet,
      Seller say tomorrow willl send me.

Comment

I don't know anything about Baldwins. But Mensch! Would I love to have that Lincolnwood Deluxe.

Comment

Lincolnwood, in a heartbeat! Beats the Baldwin in every respect, IMHO. Bigger spec, more up to date, better looking and, to my ears, a better sound. A real 'classic'.
          It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
          Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
          Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

Comment

• beel m
            beel m commented
            Editing a comment
            And, no trouble-prone Baldwin 'variable-resistance key contacts' with replacement parts NLA. BTW I grew up on Lowreys and liked the SSO-25 a lot. Go for it!

Thanks for reply.

Jancsi

Comment

The Lowrey Lincolnwood SSO25 is indeed a superb opportunity. A great organ with a huge tonal breadth. But check out what the 'defekt' is. If it's dead tones, it's an easy fix as it's usually broken neons which are relatively easy to replace. If the problem is 'ciphers', i.e. tones 8' and up (i.e. sustaining tones on these models) that play with the tabs engaged but with none of the notes being played, (the organ will have tones droning when turned on) then this is much more problematic. I'd refer to it as vintage Lowrey's equivalent to Hammond manuals being affected by foam. Other valve Lowrey owners have posted this problem occurring on this forum, but the source of the problem is hard to diagnose.

Comment

• beel m
              beel m commented
              Editing a comment
              Right you are (a previous church I worked at had an SSO-25 in their chapel.) But eventually you can fix a tube Lowrey, whereas a tube Baldwin had both those key-contact problems, with no parts available AFAIK, and the almost impossibility of rebuilding the tone generator (I'm under the impression that only one guy could do the complicated alignment needed, and he doesn't do it any more). So: two strikes against the Baldwin.

The Lowrey Lincolnwood SSO25 is indeed a superb opportunity. A great organ with a huge tonal breadth. But check out what the 'defekt' is. If it's dead tones, it's an easy fix as it's usually broken neons which are relatively easy to replace. If the problem is 'ciphers', i.e. tones 8' and up (i.e. sustaining tones on these models) that play with the tabs engaged but with none of the notes being played, (the organ will have tones droning when turned on) then this is much more problematic. I'd refer to it as vintage Lowrey's equivalent to Hammond manuals being affected by foam. Other valve Lowrey owners have posted this problem occurring on this forum, but the source of the problem is hard to diagnose.

Comment

Seller said it has some notes problem.
              It's more than 800km far from me.
              It's rely cheap.
              I will organize transport to home.
              Last edited by jancsi-jancsi; 03-20-2019, 10:12 AM.

Comment

• beel m
                beel m commented
                Editing a comment
                jancsi-jancsi---- do I take it you're overseas? I have a complete set of Lowrey tubes that I bought for that SSO-25 I mentioned and never used, but I'm afraid it wouldn't work out to have to ship it thousands of miles.

• RogerM
                RogerM commented
                Editing a comment
                “Do I take it you’re overseas?”

How does he know? Your profile doesn’t say where you are!

"Notes problem" still sounds vague to me, and I imagine to most of the technical experts on this forum. I'm not a technical expert, but I do know that another potential, and common problem on these era Lowreys could be divider failure which causes notes affected to play the wrong pitch. But, compared to the ciphers I mentioned earlier, this is still a relatively easy fix as divider spares for these models should be easy to come by.

Comment

I live in Europe Hungary, and the organ is in Germany yet.

Comment

Today arrived.
                  Has anyone service manual or schematics this organ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190329_192340.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	653610Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190329_192225.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	653611

Comment

• andyg
                    andyg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Place a post in the Schematics Wanted section of the Forum!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190330_091711.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	653699
                  It's SSO25 220V version.

Comment

Managed to repair this Linconwood, all working now.
                    Chorus effect is a bit higher volume as normal play. It's normal or need adjust chorus volume?
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190505_164308.jpg Views:	0 Size:	136.0 KB ID:	656234Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190506_201402.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.7 KB ID:	656233
                    Last edited by jancsi-jancsi; 05-06-2019, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Chorus, or Main Chorus Reverb as Lowrey then mysteriously called it, is the internal Leslie on slow (or chorale). On the spinet version (DSO etc) Chorus is the Main amp routed to the Leslie speaker in chorale mode. So the extra loudness should also be detectable in one of the other speaker configurations. Is the Main amp louder than Leslie say, with no Chorus engaged? It may be worth checking the integrity of the output valves. Or it could just be that the slow-spinning baffle of the Leslie has a louder sound. My advice is get a Leslie 145/47 for it (as it's factory prepped for this with a hard-wired Leslie kit) and forget about the Chorus. Although I understand you want everything to be working right.

best
                      Lazlo

Comment

Working...
                      X