No announcement yet.

Digital Music Display for My Organ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read an article a few weeks ago similar to what you are doing. He used linux, but I assume you are using raspbian or other linux distro so everytihing would apply. I believe he had a usb pedal with two switches left and right. One turned the page forward the other back. I'll try to find the article.

Comment

• Eric Mack
      Eric Mack commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a Sony USB dictation pedal. Paid $100 but you can find on ebay for $20. The problem is feet are often already occupied. I like the idea of an extra left/right switches or a swipe gesture blocking an IR beam

Originally posted by musicmaker84 View Post
    While not as elegant, I use Foxit PDF Reader in view mode and have the PC keyboard leaning against the music rest. Easy enough to flip pages quickly enough. I evaluated MusicReader but found Foxit served my purposes even better.
    CORRECTION - I misread the instructions for PDF-XChange. In full screen mode, a right-click goes forward and a left click goes backward in the document. This is not as good as having halves (!) but one can tap anywhere to go forward and use the menu to go back. I'll have to see if a prolonged tap goes back... or pops up an annoying context menu.
    -----
    I tried Foxit some time ago, but went to PDF-XChange Editor because (1) the registered version can combine 400+ separate documents in a folder into one big one and automatically generate a clickable table of bookmarks based on the file name, and (2) because the free version (which I'm running for now on the Rodger's monitor) can display two pages full screen with single tap (left half, right half) advance and back.

I looked at Music Reader but did not like the way it wanted to collect all the music from however many folders in it's own folders. I've spent years getting things organized (at least for me) and don't need to DUPLICATE the effort -- or waste the space.

By the way, I recently read on Tracker's forum that the registration code can be applied to one desktop and one portable. Just haven't gotten around to registering it on the laptop yet.

Stephan, you're doing GREAT at this. Thank you for posting your progress and results.
    Last edited by Silken Path; 04-02-2019, 06:27 PM.
    -- I'm Lamar -- 1967 Allen TC-4 Project (forum thread)
    -- 1899 Kimball Parlor Organ (forum thread)
    -- 1999 Rodgers W5000C and Hauptwerk - spare W5000C for spares
    -- Conn 643 Theater - Hammond M3 and E-112 - Roland RD300nx stage piano
    -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Comment

Thanks for the feedback and kind words everyone.

My program doesn't insist on collecting the music into its own folders, at least not visibly so. You tell it where your music is, and it reads it from there. The only thing it does do (invisibly, behind the scenes) is convert that music into images that exactly fit on your screen (after cleaning it up as I mentioned earlier), and keeps those images in hidden sub-folders of the music folders you specified. That way, it can load the music quickly and not have to reprocess it every time (which can take 2 or 3 seconds per page).

By the way, I've gotten the ability to add annotations working:
      The menu lets you change style, color, and size of the annotation.

Clicking on an annotation lets you edit it in-place.

You can select a style, color, or size for each annotation separately, and move them around. They are stored separately from the page images, so even if you rescan a piece of music, the annotations will still be in approximately the right place.
      Last edited by stefanv; 04-02-2019, 01:01 PM. Reason: Typos and grammos.
      Stefan Vorkoetter: http://www.stefanv.com

1962 Hammond M-111 with Improved Vibrato, Internal Rotary Speaker, Drum Machine,
      Window Seat Tone Cabinets, Completely Rebuilt Amplifier, and Recapped Tone Generator.
      1978 PAiA 1550 Stringz'n'Thingz with many enhancements.
      2017 Raspberry Pi organ-top synthesizer.

Comment

If anyone is interested in testing this, please send me a PM. I'm not yet ready to release the source, but I can provide pre-built binaries for Raspberry Pi running Raspbian, or 32- or 64-bit Linux running on Intel or AMD hardware. I still need to whip up a bit of documentation, although the program is very simple to use.

1962 Hammond M-111 with Improved Vibrato, Internal Rotary Speaker, Drum Machine,
        Window Seat Tone Cabinets, Completely Rebuilt Amplifier, and Recapped Tone Generator.

Comment

Just want to let everyone know that the software is now available on GitHub: https://github.com/svorkoetter/MusicRack

Comment

Working...
          X