Returning to the Lowrey Teenie Genie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Returning to the Lowrey Teenie Genie

So, I planned on throwing this thing out, but I ended up getting a Yamaha CP-20 analog electric piano, and now it sits on top of it. Anywho, I want to know how I can (try) to fix this thing. And when I say try, I mean that I'll do what I can without getting killed. So what should I avoid, what should I buy, etc. It currently doesn't power on at all, but for all I know it could be a simple fuse or connector or something. I meant to get to this organ earlier but never got around to it. I've had it a long time and wrote a couple of my first songs on it, so it means something to me. I know I need to clean everything inside like contacts and connectors and the like. Before it stopped working on me, pretty much everything worked. A couple of tabs were scratchy but other than that it all worked. If I don't start working on it soon, I'll probably never work on it, and I'd much rather have a cheesy fun machine than a cheesy paperweight.

1) Read the sticky thread on safety that you'll find in several places on the forum.
    2) Open up, with the Lowrey turned off and unplugged. Look for the power supply - where the mains cable goes in - and you may see a blown fuse. If so, replace it with an exact replacement.
    3) It may be more serious, as fuses usually blow for a reason. If the new fuse blows, you have a problem to solve.
    4) Given the age of the keyboard, you'll be looking at things like electrolytic capacitors, rectifiers, transformers etc. Or it could just be poor connectors or something that's come loose, or s poor soldered joint. Look for anything obvious.

Tools? Basics, like screwdrivers, pliers, a good soldering iron and a multimeter to start with. You'll pay more for these than the keyboard is actually worth in real terms of course, but if the sentimental value is important to you, then you won't mind that!
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

Comment

• KC9UDX
      KC9UDX commented
      Editing a comment
      Something is broken about the safety thread. The forum reports an invalid URL.

• andyg
      andyg commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. KC! I'll update and re-post the thread in the next few days. Andy G

Plus the tools come in handy for later projects.

Comment

Alright! I'll start looking into it tonight, thanks guys!

Comment

So I went in there, moved the thing out from the wall, took off the back, and discovered many, many, years of dust, as expected. The power supply is right behind the expression pedal, and as far as I can tell there's no fuse here, just two capacitors and a transformer. I'm beginning to believe the power supply is done for. I'll try disconnecting the little connector that goes out of the side of it, clean out 50 years of dust, and I'll report back with the results.

Comment

Alright, after a bit of light cleaning, I plugged the connector back in and... still nothing. I still haven't located any fuses, and I'm still unsure if the power supply is done for or not. I've inspected all the boards, and found that the 1st one is unmarked, but shows signs that a sticker may have been there at some point, the 2nd seems to be oscillators and the like, and the third is for the rhythms. The boards look fine, nothing out of the ordinary. Could the switch have gone bad or something? I doubt it, but you never know. I'm gonna go back in there to double check for connectors or a fuse or anything.
          Edit: Just ordered a service manual on ebay, should get here either Friday or Monday.
          Last edited by Orangeflipflop; 04-29-2019, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X