Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I found my mothballed Lowrey DSO-1 again!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found my mothballed Lowrey DSO-1 again!

OK, so I'm doing some house cleaning because my sweet wife needs a little space do do some of her hobby work. I have a room that used to be an office, stuffed chock-full with five organs (yes, five!). The old Johannus Opus 15N in regular use, two Hammond M-100's, a Hammond T222 and this little beauty - the DSO-1. The latter had been shoved to the back because of its relatively small size, quite inaccessible for obvious reasons.

Getting to work I first found a new place for the T222, then out came the DSO-1 which I perched on a raised section in the adjacent room. While in the process of moving this little gem, I really got to appreciate anew the character of this little 50-odd year old instrument. The back panel is nicely finished off with speaker cloth material so as not to detract from the sweet lines and looks of the rest of the cabinet. Its heavy - much heavier than one would expect such a little spinet to be.

After laboring for some hours and a good rest in between, I plugged the sweetie in (a bit dumb considering she had been sitting un-played for two years or so...). Started up right away with a short warm-up period. Sweet sounds from every key and pedal, except the lower C pedal sounds a little "woolly". Leslie works perfectly and all the tabs as well. Played around a little (two fingers only) and switched off with a feeling of rekindled love for this little one!

I know Michael also owns one of these and undoubtedly some others as well. You will probably know the feeling I am trying to describe.

Yikes! and I thought I was going to thin out my treasure horde! Well, I do have three very well trained house cats keeping those furry little devils which can infest and damage the innards of organs in check. Haven't seen one in a light year... and as for thinning out, well, maybe I'll wait a little while longer with that....

Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Thanks for the update, Nico! My wife has Symphony rehearsal this weekend, so maybe I need to pull mine out as well.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Comment

Working...
    X