Orla Compact Theatre Blackpool sounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Orla Compact Theatre Blackpool sounds

Evening all. I have just bought an Orla Compact Theatre organ and set it all up this evening. I read a fair bit of the user manual today and my head is spinning. Do any of you out there know how to extract the 44 Blackpool samples from the organ as the book was not very clear (to me) about this? Any help would be appreciated as if I can get these I won`t need a TOIAB. Thank you.

Select either the Tibia, Theatre or Cinema tabs in the Orchestra 1 (green) section. Press and hold the user button for that section until the tab lights start flashing. The LCD display will then change and show B31 and whatever current sample is loaded. Use the black up/down arrows to the right of the LCD to scroll through the different samples, 44 in total. When you find one you want stop scrolling and wait for the light to stop flashing (a few seconds) and that voice will be loaded in the user button for the tab you have selected. Hope that helps.

Comment

Thank you darling. I`ll try that and see what happens. All this technical stuff makes my head spin but I`ll have a go. X

Comment

There is a fair old bit of button pushing involved in getting these sounds out of the organ. Remember that many of the samples are pre-mixed combinations of sound, rather than individual stops that you can mix (that's where the Technics would have scored well). But you can, with some experimentation and practice, mix some of the theatre sounds together and adjust the balance between them, and mix them carefully with a bit of the Flutebars. You'll actually find a few settings and sounds of mine in the organ, created when I spent a day with Orla UK some years ago. I was just playing around while reviewing an organ, and they asked if they you use the combinations I'd set up.
        It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
        Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
        Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Parsdeclined View Post
          Select either the Tibia, Theatre or Cinema tabs in the Orchestra 1 (green) section. Press and hold the user button for that section until the tab lights start flashing. The LCD display will then change and show B31 and whatever current sample is loaded. Use the black up/down arrows to the right of the LCD to scroll through the different samples, 44 in total. When you find one you want stop scrolling and wait for the light to stop flashing (a few seconds) and that voice will be loaded in the user button for the tab you have selected. Hope that helps.
          Well I tried that exactly as described and no matter what my selection it all sounded exactly the same. I`m having as much luck with this as my new V3, that`s dead too, boo hoo!

Comment

Perhaps the samples were erased? Not sure how they were stored, but if User RAM was used, they could be lost?

Comment

IIRC, these sounds were licensed to Orla, for them to put into the organ, rather than something that was added to User RAM.

It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.

Comment

I recall found also adding a high reverb to the theatre sounds helped with the sound.
                Have owned more instruments in the last fourty years than I can count on my fingers AND toes.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC8qRILdh96HOzptwL42rOvQ

Comment

Oh Blimey, I only bought this organ for the Blackpool sounds, the rest of it is tosh.

Comment

If it was an Orla UK exclusive specification, would they burn them into ROMs (costly) or install them in available user RAM? Again, not sure how theses samples are stored. Wish you best of luck. Hopefully it’s just another key press you overlooked?

On to a different thought: wasn’t only the Grand Theatre equipped with the Blackpool samples? Just read about it. Not sure though.
                    Last edited by musicmaker84; 05-23-2019, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cinema Dreamer View Post
                      Oh Blimey, I only bought this organ for the Blackpool sounds, the rest of it is tosh.
                      What makes you say that?

Comment

Well I tried again to get the Blackpool sounds out of the Orla tonight and thought I was getting somewhere. I did as advised above and got a nice-ish sound but immediately my screen went back to "foxtrot" and the manual just produced typical electronic type sounds. I`m wishing now I`d bought that 99p Conn (still available) and had done with it. Sigh............ Oh, I still can`t get anything out of me TOIAB (£900) either! lol

Comment

That 99p Conn Prelude Theatre would have been booted out of the door very fast. It doesn't make any theatre sounds - it just looks good!

Sounds like you're either doing something wrong or the organ is misbehaving. Impossible to say which from a distance.

TOIAB should be pretty much plug and play via MIDI, so a very careful read of owner's manuals for the organ and the box are required to ensure that you've got the MIDI channelling and MIDI/audio connections right. The most common error is to mix up MIDI in and MIDI out. Rule: In goes to out and out goes to in.

Comment

I used to have an Orla Compact Theatre (Jubilee Version) and I have checked my computer and found that I have a copy of the User Manual. I also have a copy of a now unavailable KeyPlay4U Instructional Video.

Having looked through those I wonder if you have the Automatic Set-Up button on - this might be a possible cause of your problem.

I also would suggest you use the longer method for setting up a voice as follows as this will stop the display changing after 5 seconds:

1 Select the appropriate Conductor button for the voice you wish to change e.g. Orchestra 1. Turn the other Conductor buttons off if you wish
                            2 Select the appropriate voice in that section e.g. Tibia, Theatre, or Cinema
                            3 Press the SET button
                            4 Press the User button in the section you are dealing with e.g. Orchestra 1 as above
                            5 Scroll through the voices in the display using the Up and Down Data buttons until you find the one you want
                            6 Press the SET button again

The new voice will now be set HOWEVER:

The new voice will not be saved until stored in an Overall Preset. (See the relevant section of the user manual on how to do this.) so if you change the Automatic Orchestra Section or re-activate Automatic Set-up etc before saving to an Overall Preset the voice will revert to the factory setting.

Comment

Originally posted by Seahog View Post
                              I used to have an Orla Compact Theatre (Jubilee Version) and I have checked my computer and found that I have a copy of the User Manual. I also have a copy of a now unavailable KeyPlay4U Instructional Video.

Having looked through those I wonder if you have the Automatic Set-Up button on - this might be a possible cause of your problem.

I also would suggest you use the longer method for setting up a voice as follows as this will stop the display changing after 5 seconds:

1 Select the appropriate Conductor button for the voice you wish to change e.g. Orchestra 1. Turn the other Conductor buttons off if you wish
                              2 Select the appropriate voice in that section e.g. Tibia, Theatre, or Cinema
                              3 Press the SET button
                              4 Press the User button in the section you are dealing with e.g. Orchestra 1 as above
                              5 Scroll through the voices in the display using the Up and Down Data buttons until you find the one you want
                              6 Press the SET button again

The new voice will now be set HOWEVER:

The new voice will not be saved until stored in an Overall Preset. (See the relevant section of the user manual on how to do this.) so if you change the Automatic Orchestra Section or re-activate Automatic Set-up etc before saving to an Overall Preset the voice will revert to the factory setting.
                              Thank you Seahog, I`ll have a go at it that way and let you know what happens. All those buttons and things, it`d be great just to whack a handful of tabs down and blast off, lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X