Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help identifying this organ. German?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• musicmaker84
    replied
    Markr and I would argue an OAX will run/be fixable forever as long as there are standard PC parts available. Certainly the Pegasus Wing will with no special hardware involved. The OAX organs might use a specific USB type audio board but the driver is not really Wersi specific. As long as activation codes are available, I think Wersi owners won't have to fear much. And that is a huge plus over Böhm and Lowrey in my book.

And to comment on Seamaster's sentiments regarding older Wersis: I could imagine some of the reliability issues might stem from the kit design and lack of clean assembly by owner.

Leave a comment:

• Markr
    replied
    What inconvenience? - My first Beta ran for 20 years without a single issue, I purchased my Verona used and it ran for 10 years in my ownership without issue (probably could have fixed it when it broke), and my Sonic has been running for almost 3 years, again no issue.

Our first Yamaha broke at 11 years and the second at 18 years

In my experience, based on the above and using Seamaster’s logic, my Yamaha’s were nothing but trouble!

Leave a comment:

• seamaster
    replied
    Not especially.

Leave a comment:

• musicmaker84
    replied
    @seamaster: isn’t the WERSI sound worth all inconveniences?

Leave a comment:

• seamaster
    replied
    You're better off. Old Wersis are nothing but trouble. New ones too, for that matter!

Leave a comment:

• Vercus
    replied
    Well unfortunately, it appears the organ has sold before I could get it. Once again, another quality organ eludes me. Ugh.

Leave a comment:

• seamaster
    replied
    Nothing like on par. The Omega was the entry-level instrument in the earlier generation of Wersi DMS organs. The Spectra was later, and top of the line.

Leave a comment:

• musicmaker84
    replied
    Great recordings, Bill. Who needs a Tyros when a vintage Wersi can sound this great already?

Having said that, I’m happy with the Pegasus Wing/Korg PA setup of mine for now. Maybe throw a EX 10R into the mix?

Speaking of the EX 10R/Omega range: what could be said about the Omega? On par with Spectra et al?

Leave a comment:

• KC9UDX
    replied
    With a name like that I hope there's a Ralf Schneider that he can team up with.

Leave a comment:

• abacus
    replied
    The original came out around 1987 (As mentioned above) and used wavetable synthesis and sampling for its sounds, it was constantly updated over time with Golden Gate being added around 1994, which used full multi-layer sampling for the voices and an advanced 3D reverb sound system. (Hence you have both a 80s and 90s organ in one)
    There are 2 demos below (Best to listen to then in track order)

Spectra: https://app.box.com/s/zbrlzz95x3aho79049q3urdfbyhy9xvk

Golden Gate: https://app.box.com/s/3dro5aaaxvbncxhr0wjeb7415iqb2tiu

Bill

Leave a comment:

• Markr
    commented on 's reply
    It is late 80’s and is 2nd generation digital, after the Beta, Delta, Gamma range. It was used extensively by Klaus Wunderlich, so if that is not the classic Wersi sound you want, not sure what is. Suggest you go watch/listen to some youtube of Klaus on his Spectra and also Florian Hutter on his Gala (as Bill said, same machine different cabinet), as “good” strings / choir sounds is very subjective.

Mark.

• Vercus
    replied
    Thanks again for the info. What time period is this organ? Late 80s / Early 90s? I'm curious to know more about it's sounds and capabilities. I'm guessing it's too new to have any analog circuitry in it, and probably doesn't have the classic Wersi / Hammond sounds? Does it have good strings / choir sounds?

Leave a comment:

• abacus
    replied
    Pedals and top detach after unplugging some connections on the back and pedal base. (You may need a spanner and screwdriver) NOTE: the top is quite heavy, so best if there is 2 of you.
    If it came with amplifiers built in (They were an option) than any decent speaker of 4ohms or above will be fine, otherwise you will need to purchase either active speakers or a separate external amp and speakers.

Bill

Leave a comment:

• Vercus
    replied
    Thanks for all the info. So, it looks like this organ would use external speakers only, correct? Would they be similar to the ones in that Florian Hutter video? Are they proprietary connections, or would any high quality full range speakers work?

Also, can the organ be disassembled at all for transport in an SUV, or would it need to stay together (requiring a truck)?

Thanks,
    Jon

Leave a comment:

• abacus
    replied
    Spectra, Gala etc. are all the same instrument with different cabinets, as mentioned it has Golden Gate (Effectively the equivalent of the Pegasus/Phoenix instruments) which is also a plus.
    Unfortunately it looks like it has been neglected for quite some time (Probably not even turned on and even possibly in damp conditions) so will probably need some work done on it to clean all the contacts, keys and also new backup batteries, (Chips will probably need re-seating as well) however if you are prepared to spend a bit of time on it you will have a great instrument. (Use its condition (Particularly if he cannot show you it all working) to get it closer to 100 if you can)

Bill

Leave a comment:

Working...
X