Ar 100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ar 100

My friend recently bought one of these and had an old Yamaha C605 before and wants to know how you drive it without all the auto stuff. If you bring up full theatre as an example you then have 16 options on the screen, do these also come up on the 16 pistons, cannot find any reference in the instructions to the pistons apart from memory which appears in t.he instructions to be only on 12.

You drive it just the same way, selecting sounds manually. You don't need to use the Factory Presets at all.

The 'conductor' buttons allow you to switch the various sections of the organ in and out - that's Drawbars/Flutes, Upper Orchestra I and II, and Solo for the upper manual, for example. Pushing a category button in each of those sections, opens up a screenful or two of choices for Piano, Strings or whatever category has been selected. You can balance the sounds using the volume controls for each section.

The 16 pistons are for the player to set up themselves. Once the organ is set up the way you want, you can memorise that entire set up to Piston 1. Change the settings, save to Piston 2 and so on. So you can use up to 16 settings for a song. These 16 settings are then saved to disk as a Registration Bank - full instructions are in the manual.

The AR100 can be a real 'player's organ', the factory preset stuff, though very good, is really there for people who want everything done for them. Nothing wrong with that if that's what they want, of course, but they'll only ever scratch the surface of what the organ can do.

I have some disks that I used on AR100. I've zipped them up into one file that I can email. PM me or get your friend to email me and I'll send them.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

Comment

Thanks very much Andy will pass it on and the offer . But nether i or my friend have got a floppy drive. I also have an old computer but I think the floppy is dead.

Comment

Ebay: USB floppy drive - less than £6, including postage. Probably won't last that long and even a slight drop will kill it (done it!) but at that price, who cares!
        It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.

Comment

Your friend should think about joining the AR-group www.ar-group.org where he will find plenty of information about his new instrument and how to get the most out of it. There are only just over 100 members worldwide and, to be honest, most of them don’t participate in the discussion but those that do will happily help him out.

andyg has referred to the ‘conductor’ buttons. For the sake of clarity and to avoid confusion these are actually called ‘ensemble’ buttons and they switch in and out sections of the organ on the Upper Manual, Lower Manual and Pedals called Voice 1, Voice 2, Organ and Lead Voice. Sorry to be pedantic, Andy, but we don’t want the poor chap looking for something that isn’t there 😕

I can recommend andy’s disks.
          Last edited by RogerM; 06-10-2019, 04:39 PM.
          Previous: Elka Crescendo 303, Technics G7, Yamaha EL-90
          Current: Yamaha AR-100

Comment

Yes, 'conductor' is the generic term for this type of buttons.

Comment

Max Green,

Martin Harris of Yamaha produced AR-100 Product Training Notes when the instrument was launched back in 1996 as an aid to dealers who were selling it. These are often easier to follow than the Owner’s Manual and offer some information that is not otherwise available. I have just been able to acquire a copy and, with Martin’s willing consent, have made this available to members of the AR-group. If your friend joins the group he/she will be able to access it. May be helpful.

Previous: Elka Crescendo 303, Technics G7, Yamaha EL-90
              Current: Yamaha AR-100

Comment

Thank you for all the info, have sent pm Andy about the discs. Will send for a Floppy drive.

Comment

Working...
                X