This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland AT900c Rhythm/Style hold

Hi, I have just changed to this organ after many years on Yamaha models and am literally feeling my way slowly but I always try and establish where the old favorites are located first and in this case where on many organs there is a rhythm style lock button on the right hand end of the 12 or so registrations buttons there is a load next button The manual does not seem to mention a rhythm hold function anywhere but I have found his a very useful tool. perhaps Roland give it a different title but I have search the manual and can find no mention. I am just hoping some Roland owner has an answer. many thanks for any replies. Ken

Ken,

I have an AT-90, the first generation of the Atelier. By reading your question, I assume that you are looking for a way to have the style stay the same when a registration button is pressed. On my AT-90, the default setting is for the "arranger update" to be delayed. This means when you press a piston, the arranger information does NOT update unless you hold the pistons for several seconds. There is an option in the menu make the arranger update instantly. I have a copy of the AT-900 for your organ on my computer, the information for about this feature and how to change it is on page 219 in the first column. The setting for "arranger update" is kept in memory even when the organ is powered off. So, if yours has been changed to instant, it is probably still on that setting.

I hope this information is helpful.

Later,
    Allen
    Currently own: Roland Atelier AT-90, Yamaha 115D, Roland DP-90SE, Yamaha PSR-S910

YouTube Channel

Comment

Hi Ken,

That's interesting. If I were to change from my Yamaha AR-100 it would be to an Atelier AT-800 or 900C. What prompted your change and how are you getting on? Are you noticing a big change in the voices?

Roger
      Previous: Elka Crescendo 303, Technics G7, Yamaha EL-90
      Current: Yamaha AR-100

Comment

I think the 90S and SL models may be a bit more flexible than the original 90, so to clarify, when you store a registration, it always stores the rhythm settings with it. It also stores the transposer settings.

As Allen said, you have the option to have the preset pistons respond in two different ways when you press one when playing a piece. If the organ has 'Arranger Update' set to 'Delayed', then pressing a preset piston momentarily, or using Registration Shift on the footswitch, won't change the rhythm, it will stay on whatever you've currently set it to. Pressing and holding a preset piston for a second or so will call up the rhythm and tempo settings stored at the time of saving the preset.

If you set the Arranger Update to 'Instant', then a momentary press on a preset piston will immediately recall the stored rhythm settings.

The exact same thing applies to the Transposer and this is set independently from the rhythm. You can have a momentary press of a preset piston ignore the stored transposition, so that the transposer buttons give you full control over things, or you can have the preset piston command the organ to transpose instantly to whatever you set when you stored that preset.

These two settings are stored as part of the registration bank when you save it.

So you have the best of both worlds!
        It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
        Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
        Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
        Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

RogerM: I'll let Ken answer you, but for my two penny's worth, you'd notice a big change in voicing quality. The AR100's orchestral sounds are very good but Yamaha spent most of their money on the organ sounds and the 'easy set up' features. The EL900 got the big upgrade to the AWM voicings at the expense of a comparatively weak organ sound.

The AT900/800 are several years down the line in terms of their voicing. More memory, better samples, and so on. If you can find an 800 or 900C that's had the Platinum upgrade, even better!
          It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
          Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
          Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Thanks andyg, you always know the answers and all the technical background in many cases, far better support than the support functions of many of the manufacturers, yes I can go back to the MR 700 which had built in tutorial features,I had an EL 70 and EL900 at one time but I always noticed the Yamaha's had a very distinct flute sound which was attractive but I never thought they could make a more traditional organ sound ( only my amateurish opinion , I always wanted the Tower sound ) and I did have an AR100 which was a big improvement and better organ sounds , But I was content most of the times with the sounds, I strayed away from them because their automatic accompaniment left a lot to be desired when compared to what was put into keyboards, of course I wanted the best of both worlds !

Comment

Hi RodgerM. My dallying around organs is quite a story , the AR was good and really more than adequate for any home owner but I can never resist a change, but on organ sound quality I really am not expert enough to comment much, the AR had better sounds than the EL range, or perhaps I should say different, but my main compliant was the comparative poor automatic accompaniment most organs EL's in particular, but of course they were probably not made originally to use the auto side as a main feature the way I do !
              I left the AR in favor of an Orla GT 9000 GLX2 which I would describe as a keyboard in an organ case but a good combination of both .

Then came a moment of lunacy, I had the offer of a brand new Ringway rs1000e, the owner going into a home and the organ just bought ! too good at a discount of 23% to turn down, loads of organs sounds but I thought many were similar and the sound quality I would rate as adequate, however i also bought a Genos keyboard and there was my downfall, both instruments had entirely different and quite complicated control systems.
              Trying to learn two different systems at the same time when neither were anything like the conventional organ was never going to work at my age, so I traded them in for the AT900C which I knew had loads of presets so you could just sit down and play without too much fuss ! And in the case of the Ringway it always set itself back to factory default each time you switched off and re started and that was a big drawback.

The poor accompaniment on some organs, ? well i cured that a few organs back by buying an old Technics KN7000 keyboard, and use it solely for providing the accompaniment backing, the Technics group provide all the styles on an SD card from almost all there other keyboards and some Yamaha tyros ones as well ( about 800 all told ) so if the organ I am using does not have the backing i want I usually find it in the Technics ! An SD card on a keyboard about 20 years old , that was some feature in those days, well before it's time. I have not had time to really try out the organs sounds on the AT but all the reports and reviews are positive.
              And organs...........well in 31 years i have had 12, this does not include 4 or 5 keyboards and a similar number of expanders all to supplement the backings, Due to circumstances we have not been away on holiday in over 20 years and the cost ? well this may surprise but taking total outlay ( all part exchange) the average annual cost has been less than half of one person's annual holiday, first at £800 but over the last 20 years only £500. Regards Ken

Comment

Thanks Andy and Ken. I like my AR, which is more than adequate for my limited ability, and there is little prospect of my changing it. I think the only instrument that could tempt me away is an AT-800 or 900C so I am always interested to know how people compare the two.

Roger

Comment

Hi Rodger, I know how you feel about limited ability as I suffer that as well, that's why i tried so many bits and pieces to supplement the melody line and hopefully cover up the mistakes ! I had a Roland AT 80 but could not get along with that but honestly this AT 900 C is something different. I was up and playing a Miller sound after about one hours quick look in the manual, I had never managed that so quickly before and the reason is the touch screen and the way you access different preset settings on it. It is made for the likes of us . It even has a quick action switch that puts on the fingered chord setting and takes the keyboard sensitivity down to zero on the keyboard, ( always set far too high for me as normal ) there are plenty of vids on youtube.to listen to Ken
                  Comparison between the AR100 and the AT 900 well it has to be a personal choice but for me the Roland wins hands down

Comment

Interesting subject for me - I plan to replace my Yamaha EL900m, plus Roland BK7M and have been considering either the Roland 900c or a Yamaha Stagea - either ELS02 or the ELC02 portable - but which would suit me? I like the backwards compatibility of the Stagea with the many Registration and Performance disks I have for my EL and doubt I would be able to use these on the Roland? I don't want the Organ sounds to be biased towards Theatre sound, preferring Hammond, or Wersi Drawbar sounds - the Roland organ sounds I have heard seem fairly good Hammond type sounds. Not so sure whether the orchestral sounds of the Roland are as good as the latest Stagea? I would like to keep Initial Touch and After Touch on both keyboards and pedals, but don't have to have the Horizon touch of the EL.

Comment

HI ExElkaMan

You will have to decide which is more important to you, (Sounds or backing) if sounds then stick with Yamaha as you are obviously happy with their type of sound, however if the BK7m gives you a better feeling when playing, go with Roland as you have obviously outgrown the Yamaha Sound. (Point to remember is that only the Yamaha is still made new)
                      Also look at other manufactures to see if they suit better. (There is no one size fits all, but as you like the Hammond & Wersi drawbar sounds have a look at a Wersi as you can have both the best Wersi sound and the Hammond sound (With the VB3 Hammond emulation) in one)
                      Have fun choosing, but make sure you try before you buy.

Bill

Comment

I had the chance to hear two top artists play Roland AT900C (with Platinum upgrade) and Stagea ELC02 at separate concerts recently. Both were running through external amps and speakers. I wasn't bowled over by the Stagea's sound. Solo instrumentals were great, but somehow the overall ensemble just didn't cut it for me.

However, I've not played a recent Stagea so I'll reserve judgement until I do, the above is more of an observation (can you have an observation of something you hear?).

The Roland AT900C has a good Hammond sound, add the Platinum upgrade and it's a brilliant Hammond and Leslie sound, taken from Roland's latest clonewheel keyboards. Orchestral sounds? Personal choice here and I don't think anyone can touch Roland for strings and some of the brasses. But if the latest Stagea take their sounds from the Tyros 5, then they should have some better solos, guitars and electric pianos.

No Wersi sounds at all on either of them, of course. So if you're after that sound then it's Wersi - or perhaps Bohm Sempra.

But whatever you do, as Bill said, you really must try before you buy, even if if means a fair bit of driving to find the instruments to play. You may regret it if you don't!

Comment

Hi, Thanks Bill and Andy - Your thoughts are much appreciated. I bought the BK7M to give me rhythms / styles which an improvement over those built into my EL900M, I don't know how similar they are to the Roland 900c - although they are clearly an improvement on those built into my EL, I do find them often too busy and or song specific, compared the those in the EL. Some of the BK7M voices are great, such as Sax, but others less so - for example, I prefer the EL's Piano 1. Unfortunately, I have not been able to get the EL's registration buttons to change the BK7M's registrations, so it is not that easy to play. I will certainly try before buying - always wanted a Wersi - but I have seen concerns on line with the recent Wersis having reliability issues with the Windows based software - don't know how true they are. I recently heard / saw Chris Stanbury play a Stagea ELC- 02 and thought it sounded great, voices and styles / rhythms - he's for my taste a great organist!

Comment

If you get the chance, go and see Alex Payler playing Stagea. Failing the real thing, you can see and hear him on YouTube. He along with Spanish artiste Marco Cerbella, also on YouTube, have convinced me the Yamaha produces the top orchestral sounds. Pity it looks like a flat-pack from IKEA.

No touch sensitivity on Roland pedals unless you can find a 900C with the PK-9 pedalboard, I believe. And I know where there is one, at a price! Not me, for the record.
                            Last edited by RogerM; 07-21-2019, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Hi Roger - Thanks for info - Yes I have checked out Alex and Marco on YouTube and the sounds they get out of the Stagea, sound great to me. However, I have read on line that the "standard" voices and styles built into the Stagea are always to european tast, so I don't know whether they are using the "standard" factory sounds or those they have created from scratch themselves. I use the initial and after touch on both keyboards and pedals and wouldn't want to be without - great for timpani on pedals and aftertouch on keyboards for giving feeling and controlling vibarato on solo voices. So perhaps this narrows my choice down to Yamaha - plus Wersi or Bohm? - I shall investigate further and try to find instruments to test out. - Given the large amount of EL Registrations I have created and have from other players, the Stagea is very tempting, given that it can I believe import EL Registrations. I agree regarding the aesthetics of Stagea - it looks good for stage use, but less so for living room - it is a shame they don't make side panels in piano black as an accessory.

Comment

Working...
                              X