Differences between Lowery DSL and DSO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Differences between Lowery DSL and DSO?

Hello all, It's been a long time since i've logged in to my account here, but have acquired quite a few organs in the last year and a half. I'm trying to figure out what the difference is between the DSL and the DSO organs i now have. The DSL is actually labeled a DSL-0 on the model number plate..and after scouring the Blue Book, I cannot seem to figure out the difference or what the -0 means. The only thing the two do not have in common is the veneer on the cabinet with the DSL-0 having something close to a fruitwood and the DSO a plainer walnut. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers!

Morgonzo,

It has been a long while since I read my owner's manual, but IIRC the DSO-1 is hand-rubbed cherry, however, I could be wrong on that. Now you've made me curious, so I'll have to check it out!

Welcome to the Forum!

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Comment

I really wish there was half as much information on old Lowerys as there is on contemporary Hammonds.

Comment

• KC9UDX
        KC9UDX commented
        Editing a comment
        Tube models yes. Transistor models probably not; no real experience with those.

• andyg
        andyg commented
        Editing a comment
        We rightly revere some of the tube models like the Heritage and Lincolnwood, but there's a lot to be said for the solid state models from when they first appeared up to the early 1970s. TBO-1, TLO-K and the GAK series were part of my introduction to the world of the home organ. I think you might like them if you gave them a go, KC!

• KC9UDX
        KC9UDX commented
        Editing a comment
        Well you're probably right.

DSL and DSO does not refer to the wood finish. The 'O' refers to Orchestra - as in AOC and the 'Auto Orch.' tab (as it was inscribed on the maroon tab). Usually, any Heritage model without the 'O' won't have the AOC (eg, DS and DSL). Similarly, the Festival FL became the FLO once AOC was featured. MS (Brentwood) became MSO. The '-1' on the DSO was the 'Repeat' addition. However, the OP mentioned DSL-O – this is new to me. It could mean AOC plus DS configuration, which is (quite useful) features like Solo Quint . So, the question is - is there a Solo Quint tab and Auto Orch on your DSL-O?

Some of you may come back and say the -1 refers to Leslie. because the book says it does. But having kept an eye on the model variances that crop up here in the UK and abroad, I can attest that the -1 means Repeat. I have a DSO and a DSO-1, and the difference is thus. **BUT** these tube Leslies are so old, and it was the nascent days of Lowrey when they were conceived, that maybe even Lowrey might not have known what they naming their units as.

Lazlo

Comment

I own several Lowreys and in my opinion the old tube models like the DSO-1 have a rather pleasant mellow sound not unlike the Hammonds of the same era. The transistor models like the GAK have a crisp, bright sound and capable of quite a volume. This I have noticed on both my GAK-25 and GA3-25. These are nice organs and I treasure them. Even the other spinets like the TLOK-R and TLOK-S are good sounding transistor models. I had two of the TLOK-S models and gave them both away to people who could appreciate and use them. On the same note, I also own a few Hammonds, three tube amp models and one with a transistor amp. The tube models likewise have that typical warm and mellow sound while the transistor model is crisper, but not as crisp as the Lowreys, possibly because of the different tone generators but who cares? They look and sound good!
        Nico
        "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Comment

• KC9UDX
          KC9UDX commented
          Editing a comment
          Then I've got to ask, which model best does the Lucy In the Sky riff? Is it transistorised? My tube model SS is nowhere near bright enough.

The slow attack is the one thing I appreciate most which a Hammond doesn't do.

• myorgan
          myorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          I believe they used the DSO-1. Elsewhere on the Forum, there is a link to a photograph of one of the Beatles playing the DSO-1 in the studio.

Michael

• KC9UDX
          KC9UDX commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok thanks. They also had an amazing sound system to work with.

Morgonzo,

If my Lowrey omnibus manual's picture is correct, the DSL has only one row of rocker tabs to the left of the bottom manual. The pedal rocker tabs are to the left of the upper manual. The DSO has two rows of rocker tabs to the left of the bottom manual, including the Pedal stops, and some couplers. Then, there are the two rows of 4 rocker tabs each to the right of the lower manual on the DSO-1. They include the Automatic Orchestra Control (AOC), as well as the Reiteration rocker tab there as well for use with the Banjo percussion stop. The DSO-1 also has a Chime drawknob on the face of the upper manual. I don't believe the DSL has that option.

Hope that provides some things for comparison purposes.

Michael
        Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
        • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
        • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
        • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Comment

Yes - there were quite a few differences between the DSL and DSO as indicated above. However, there is no Banjo reiteration, or Banjo stop. The Repeat affects all the sustaining tabs - i.e. 8', 4' and 2' as well as the percussion voices (which were fixed registrations based on the 8, 4 and 2).

Lazlo

Comment

Hi everybody, I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you all but you'll forgive me because I was out getting more organs!! A minty TBO-1 with original manual and a 4420 with all the original paperwork. Whew, my back is sore now! Anyway, thanks for all the responses. The switches are identical between the DSL-0 (i re-checked and yes, that's the model #) and the DSO. Quite a little mystery. I'd love to post some pics but I don't think i've made enough posts yet to be able to do that. I'm looking at a TLO that I'd be using for parts to keep my DSO and DSL alive...If I can get it for the right price (free or damn near...). The TBO-1 is Baba all the way...and different enough from the TLOK-S that I dragged home two weeks ago that I feel fine keeping both. Oh, and yes, i am married and as long as the organs don't spill over into the garage from my basement studio she's okay with my habit and is my go-to helper!

Comment

• myorgan
              myorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              WOW! What a rare find in a wife!

You can post photos, but they need to be approved as well as your first few posts as a member. I'm sure you can figure out why.

I am jealous of the Lowreys you're picking up. We don't have as many available here in the cold North. Then again, when I find an organ, I usually don't have to worry about it coming out of a house where they smoked, but I would think down South, that might be a potential issue with picking up organs?

Michael

Oh, and both the DSO and DSL-0 have the chime knob AND AOC tab, both have Quint but neither have solo Quint....the mystery deepens...

Comment

• myorgan
              myorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              Are you sure it's not mis-labeled?

Michael

Hey Michael, being from NY originally, I know all about the cold. I said "enough!" in 2008. There is a DSO-1 in RI for free (or was..) on FB marketplace. That's what started this all off. CL was played out for me. I did get my C3 off of CL but the prices were crazy high for other types. I'm pretty sure it's not mis-labeled but anything is possible. I asked originally because the only difference I could find was the Veneer. Both had single brass bands on the legs instead of two like the DSO-1 and both have the Fleur-de Lis music rack. I'll take some pics and let y'all see for yourself. Oh, and there's a DSO in Saratoga Springs NY but they want 300 for it. Too rich for my cheap blood! Oh, and the wife is a real keeper but I need to use what I drag home. I use all my keys on the records my band puts out so that keeps her from calling it a Horde.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0943.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	665909Hey everyone, so I took some photos of the organs in question....lets see if I can figure out how to get them into a post...
              I tried to do a bunch at once..but it didn't workj so I'll do one at a time....this is the DSL-O in the back and the DSO in the front...
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0941.JPG Views:	1 Size:	63.8 KB ID:	665893
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Morgonzo; 09-19-2019, 03:39 PM. Reason: I wanted to add the controls of the DSO to comapre to the DSL-O...the DSL-O has a less of a flash in the pic...

Comment

here are the lower right controls...the dirty one is the DSO and the cleaner one is the DSL-O
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0955.JPG Views:	0 Size:	59.7 KB ID:	665900
                Attached Files

Comment

• myorgan
                  myorgan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well, the controls to the left of the upper keyboard are right. The one set of controls I could see on the lower keyboard are also right.

However, both photos of the right cheek are missing the Repeat control. I know some have called it the Re-it, or Reiteration stop, but on my organ it is labeled Repeat. Perhaps it's time for me to take some high resolution photos of my organ to post. The only other possible difference between the models I can think of are, perhaps, internal. For example, how many watts of power do they have, etc?

Thanks so much for sharing your photographs of your organ.

Michael

Here are the name plates...Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0956.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	665904
                Attached Files

Comment

and as a extra...or Lagniappe as the say in New Orleans...the Wurlitzer 4420
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0975.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	665908
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hey Michael, thanks for the reply. The lack of repeat would indicate that the -O in the DSL does not bring it up to DSO-1 specs right? I'll do some digging in the internals and take some pics as well to see if there is a difference between the two there. I'm worried that the transformer on the DSO looks rough, I'm wondering if that is a common part along the comparable tube Lowery organs of the period? If I can get a TLO or a LSL would it be the same tranny and I could swap it into the DSO? I know the 4420 is off-topic but I had to share.

Comment

Working...
                    X