Audacity " buzzes"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audacity " buzzes"

I thought I had problems with the midi channels and the newly acquired Roland At 900, now thankfully sorted by some kind help from this forum, but now having thought I was clear I tried to use Audacity to record something. All went well but on playback (before saving or exporting) as soon as the progress bar started to move and before it reaches the actual music wave form there is a machine like buzzing which in quiet parts of the recording itself canalso be heard.
    I slowly disconnected everything checking each time until I only had the organ connectred direct to to computer ( headphone outlet to computer line in ) I did not even have to record, but with or without any music as soon as you hit the play button the buzzing started, even with the line in disconnected although quieter it still buzzed, so I am assuming once saved to Box or some such web page the buzzing will also be on the recording
    Now this is a closed book to me I know almost nothing about the technicalities of recording and Audacity is highly technical ,is there anything switched on that should not be I womder.
    Anyone with a suggestion please Ken

Hi Ken, do you get any buzzing when listening to the organ via headphones plugged into the same headphone jack you are using for your output - “humming” is sometimes associated with earthing problems, so best to discount the obvious first.
    Current Organ: Wersi Sonic OAX800
    Previous Organs: Wersi Verona, Wersi Beta DX401, Yamaha FE-70, Yamaha B-75N
    Previous Other: Wersi MAX-1, Wersi OX7, Korg N5, Yamaha DX27

Comment

• KC9UDX
      KC9UDX commented
      Editing a comment
      You type faster, apparently.

This is not audacity's fault. It is getting the buzzing from your audio source. PC audio hardware varies a lot in quality. And I'm not familiar with anything newer than about fifteen years old. But you probably have a bad connection or ground loop somewhere before the PC. First though, turn off all the lights and everything else you can turn off to make sure nothing is interfering. Also, plug headphones into the Roland, turn the volume all the way up, and don't play anything. See if you can hear buzzing.

Comment

Is there a reason you're not using the organ's line out jacks?
      Headphone output is low impedance while line output is high impedance to match the line input of your computer. I think that is causing your hum.

td
      Last edited by tucsondave; 09-22-2019, 06:56 AM.

Comment

I am also using the „headphone“ output on my GA3 organ for recording. The „line out“ level does not seem to fit to my computer. So basically headphone could/should work.
        Owned Philips Philicorda, Viscount Fair Lady and Cabaret de Luxe, Hohner Virtuos, Yamaha electone c-605. Now playing Hammond Aurora Classic, Technics GA3 and Roland G-800.

Comment

Most computers and laptops seem to have a mike input but not a line level input. I'm lucky, mine seems to sense what's connected and I get good results.

I can run from the headphones socket to my digital recorder or the laptop and it works just fine, even though what td says is quite correct.

I did once have problems when trying to record from the line outputs on a Hammond X-66 I played in concert (not a standard model, it has an in-built multi channel mixer driving external power amps) and as soon as I plugged in the laptop I got exactly the hum described above. The problem only occurred when running the laptop via its power supply. On batteries, the hum disappeared. Running from the line outputs to a small stereo monitor amp and speakers - also powered by a mains adaptor - showed the signal to be clean. no hum. So I suspected the laptop's power supply to be the cause of the hum.
          It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
          Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
          Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

Comment

I have my laptop power plug on a ground lift adapter. That removes buzzing.

Geo

Comment

Something to put into the gear bag for the next recording, although I do also now have enough battery power to keep the laptop or the digital recorder going for around 3 hours!
              It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
              Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
              Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

Comment

Working...
              X