No announcement yet.

Looking for advice on which home organ to get

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like it. And following on from that, is there an easy way of knowing/working out which chords to play when you just have the melody line?
    Previous: Elka Crescendo 303, Technics G7, Yamaha EL-90
    Current: Yamaha AR-100

Comment

The easiest way is to do some basic theory and harmony work! Grades 1 through 6 should do nicely! But here's a bit of a short cut.

Most important thing to do is establish the key of the piece. The last note of the melody will give you a good clue and coupled with the key signature, you'll know for sure! If you're playing it by ear, make a note of the sharps or flats and try to work out what the key signature is.

Now work out the triads (3 note chords) based on notes 1,2,4,5 and 6 of the scale that has that key signature. The most important of those three are 1,4 and 5. You can make a good assumption that the last chord will be a 1 (really should use Roman numerals for this, so I), most likely preceded by a V. The opening chord may well be a I, but that's not guaranteed.

Knowing the chords, try fitting them beneath the notes of the melody line. Unless your playing something that's a hymn or is hymn-like, the chords won't change every note, so in between the notes that 'agree' with the chords (harmony notes) will be notes that clash slightly (passing notes). Your ear will start to tell you what's right or wrong.

We are rather going off topic here, might be worth starting a thread in General Chat about this.
      It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
      Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
      Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

Comment

Originally posted by andyg View Post
        The easiest way is to do some basic theory and harmony work! Grades 1 through 6 should do nicely!
        Thank you. I should get that done by the time I’m 80 😧

We are rather going off topic here, might be worth starting a thread in General Chat about this.
        Agreed. Would it be appropriate for you to transfer or duplicate posts #14 to #18 here to such a new thread?
        I’ll give your suggestion a try and get back.
        Last edited by RogerM; 11-10-2019, 03:33 PM.

Comment

I’ve started a new thread in General Chat to continue this off-topic discussion, ‘Playing chords with melody’ here at https://organforum.com/forums/forum/...ds-with-melody Probably not much else to be said now!

Comment

Thanks - and indeed that sounds better than the entire chords i was trying to play. I finally signed up for music course and am practicing as much as this ole body will allow.

Comment

Working...
            X