This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowrey H25R-2 with blown amp

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Hi folks,</FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman"><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Who says there is a shortage of organ donors? I have just been offered a Lowrey H25R-2 for free. Unfortunately only 1 of its 3 channels is working. The owner says the output stage of the amp/s is faulty. It comes with a set of schematics. Condition: I have to buy a 3 channel Leslie and a model 145 symmetrical set of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Conn</st1:place></st1:State> pipes for $AU350.00. He could not remember the Leslie model number.<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">The funny thing is that only yesterday I bought a model 145 symmetrical set of Conn pipes for my Conn 643 for $AU200.00. What a bummer!</FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman"><o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">I am tempted to accept the offer. I have recently listened to a Lowrey H25-1 and was impressed with the overall sound of the instrument. I would have preferred a working unit. How big a problem would it be to fix the amplifier? Or should I forget the deal? He will only sell the Leslie and the pipes if the organ goes with it. The usual story.</FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman"><o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Guys, please point me in the right direction[I] Thanks[8]</FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman"></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Skippy<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>
    AS FAR AS ORGANS ARE CONCERNED - I'M A GOOD MECHANIC AND A HOPELESS DRIVER.
    Hammond C3 & M102 & Elegante & PR40. Yamaha D85 & D65 & FS30 & MC600 & GX76. Thomas Celebrity Royale 871, Kawai T5 & E550, Conn 643 & 632 & 552.Lowrey H25R2. Elka EP12. Orla D6180, Wurlitzer 4430 & Omni 7000 & 555. Roland D70 & RA90 . Ferrofish B4000+. Leslie 145 & 705 & 710 & 720

Re: Lowrey H25R-2 with blown amp

Hmm, that's a poser.</P>

The proper leslie for that organ is one of the 100/101/102/103 series, but they're all 4 channel. Shame, as one of them adds ensemble style strings phasing to the 3rd channel. There aren't that many 3 channel leslies, some are good but some like the 610 are pretty c**p, so we'd need to know the model number. He can look on the back - that's where it will be! And you can't be sure thatit's working properly until the organ's fixed.If it is just the ouput stage of the amp that's gone down, that doesn't seem like too much to fix, but you'll want to check out why it failed. Power supply problems, perhaps. As far as I know, it's all pretty basic stuff in that part of the organ.</P>

Bottom line is that you'll get a second set of pipes and possibly a decent leslie out of the deal, and the H25-2 is a good old sounding Lowrey.</P>

Find out about the leslie model first. If it's a bad one, you don't want it and the deal may fall on that.</P>

Andy</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
    Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

[quote user="skippy"]
      <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Hi folks,</FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>
      <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">He will only sell the Leslie and the pipes if the organ goes with it. The usual story.</FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>
      <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman"><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>

[/quote]</P>

G'day Skippy,</P>

I have a Lowrey console and have been trying to track down a Leslie for some time. Can you find out the model and condition of the Leslie and I may be interested in it &amp; the pipes for $350 - ie. you get a free organ and I get a Leslie, and would use the pipes as an ornament. Maybe you could get a photo of the setup &amp; post it. Freight down to Victoria is not that much. Wouldn't take much to sort out the organ's amp and as Andy says it's a great sounding instrument.</P>

Let me know,</P>

Cheers,</P>

Ian</P>
      <P mce_keep="true"></P>
      sigpic
      Hammond X77GT & Leslie 77P
      Lowrey C500 & Leslie 720/540
      Hammond T524 & Leslie 710
      Gulbransen Theatrum & Leslie 700
      Yamaha EL90T

Comment

Thanks Guys,</P>

I will ask the owner tonight to make an effort to locate the model number of the Leslie. If it is a working unit, properly matched with the Lowrey I will of coursekeep it with the organ. It is probably a 4 channel unit.Perhaps I misunderstood him or he made a mistake.</P>

Sorry Ian. The chap who sold me the conn pipes on Sunday has about 50 Leslies in storage. Perhaps he has what you are looking for. Just send me a private message and I will give you his phone number. I have already ear marked the conn pipesto enhance the main channel voicingon my Celebrity. It surely needs it.</P>

I was pleasantly surprised by the improvement of the sound of my Conn 643 using the pipes. They add a lovely sparkle to the mid and upper frequencies. A big improvementto the strings. They are in almost pristine condition. I checked the speaker cones before I committed myself. They look to be in perfect condition. Like Ian, I was thinking more in line of decorative effect than sound enhancement. I don't know what they cost new. Probably a bundle. As nice as they are - $AU200 is a fat price considering the popularity of anything "organ".</P>

Skippy</P>
        Hammond C3 & M102 & Elegante & PR40. Yamaha D85 & D65 & FS30 & MC600 & GX76. Thomas Celebrity Royale 871, Kawai T5 & E550, Conn 643 & 632 & 552.Lowrey H25R2. Elka EP12. Orla D6180, Wurlitzer 4430 & Omni 7000 & 555. Roland D70 & RA90 . Ferrofish B4000+. Leslie 145 & 705 & 710 & 720

Comment

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial">Update:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial">I have just spoken to the owner. He says that all what is left of the model label on the back of the Leslie are the corners. The centre with the info on it is missing. The appr. dimensionsin inches are: 33 high x 28 wide x 20 deep. The stationary speakers are a 15" bass and one or two (he is not sure)6x9"s. Plus a single rotor (rotosonic) with a 6x9" speaker. He sensed my rapidly fading interest in the Leslie and put the price down to $AU300.00 including the Conn 145 pipes.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial">The best match I can get in the blue book is model 700/705 which is only 2 channel. A friend told me that the ideal Leslie setup for the Lowrey H25 is a pair made up ofmodel 102 andmodel 103.A far cry from what is on offer here. Thecause for his organ amp problem may be a mismatched Leslie. The Leslie channel on the organ still works. Perhaps he is feeding the 2 main channels into one Leslie channel.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial">I am going to eyeball his gear next week. Perhaps the Leslie can beutilized with one of my other organs (Thomas Celebrity 871, Conn 643, Hammond Elegante).<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial">Ian, I don't think this is the kind of Leslie you want to hitch to your beautiful C500. I have spoken to the chap who is collecting, buying, selling and living Leslie’s. He has a Model 103 (12 valves). He is using it on his own Lowrey and it is not for sale. Sorry, keep looking. They are apparently very rare.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
          <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'">That’s all folks. Your comments are welcome</SPAN><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3>.[Y]</FONT></P>
          <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><o:p><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3></FONT></o:p></P>
          <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3>Skippy</FONT></P>

Comment

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'">Hi Skippy,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
            <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
            <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'">The Leslie does appear to be a 700. The cabinet is a decorator style with a front grille cloth.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
            <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
            <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'">Seems to me that the Leslie 700 has a 9 pin hookup. If so that model would not be directly compatible with your Elegante which has a 11 pin socket.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>Leslie models 415,615 715 and 720 have 11 pin connectivity. I would prefer a double rotor unit for this instrument.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
            <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'">Have you seen this video of Jack Moelmann on that organ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPJbgO15xAs<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
            Have: Hammond 340212 Elegante
            Had: Hammond T-311 and 333114 Colonnade
            Never will have: Laurens Hammond 350 w/ 2 - 751 Leslies

Comment

If you can home brew a 7191 kit, you can hook up the 700 to any two channel organ. With an 1197 kit you could plug in and amplify half of your Elegante! In any case, as kkeys says, a twin rotor leslie is a much better bet for the Thomas or the Hammond. The 700 does sound nice on the Conn. It's providing the heavy theatrical throb to the tibias on my 580 recording. The fizz is added with a 251.</P>

Andy</P>
              <P mce_keep="true"></P>
              It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
              Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
              Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Thanks guys,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">I will know next Tuesday what condition the Leslie is in. If it is in good shape I will get it for my <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Conn</st1:place></st1:State> and I will try to hitch the conn pipes to the Thomas. The main channel voices on theThomas can do with some encouragement. I will have a look athow the pipes outlet on the <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Conn</st1:place></st1:State> is wired. Perhaps I can do the same there. I don’t know how themain amp will take the extra load. I suppose I will have to watch the impedance.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">How on earth do they connect these multiple sets of <st1:State w:st="on">Conn</st1:State> pipes to the <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Conn</st1:place></st1:State> organs?? Surely not to the same outlet. This would bring the impedance down to a point where the amp will fry. Or am I wrong here?<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Keith, I have watched every Elegante clip on Youtube. Jack really makes it sing. The other clips don't really show its potential. By the way, I have been able to source an original, pristine issue of the Elegante schematics for $US35incl. postage and handling. If you need any diagrams let me know. I will just take a shot with my digital camera and email it to you as a jpg. Works well. That is how I got a full set of Thomas Celebrity schematics.</SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Cheers,</SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Skippy<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
                <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Comment

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3>Hi folks,</FONT></P>
                  <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3></FONT></o:p></P>
                  <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3>I<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"></SPAN>purchasedthe Lowrey H25R-2, a Leslie 705 and a <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:State w:st="on">Conn</st1:State></st1:place> model 145/silver pipe speaker for the staggering amount of A$280. The Lowrey was defective and I had to replace “<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">one” [/B]power supply<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"> [/B]rectifying diode ($A1) to make it work. Some tab- and key contacts still need use and cleaning. The Leslie worries me a little, but it is working OK. The 430 Ohm resistors are getting a little hot. I will keep an eye on it.</FONT></P>
                  <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><o:p><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3></FONT></o:p></P>
                  <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3>So far I own a Hammond Elegante, a Thomas Celebrity 871, a Conn 643, a Farfisa Professional Duo, some synths and keyboards and the above Lowrey H25R-2. May I just say, that the Lowrey has become the pick of the bunch.</FONT></P>
                  <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3>Have a musical day!</FONT></P>
                  <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3>Skippy</FONT></P>

Comment

[quote user="skippy"]
                    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3>May I just say, that the Lowrey has become the pick of the bunch.</FONT></P>
                    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3></FONT></o:p></P>
                    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3>Have a musical day!</FONT><o:p><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3>(please don't - bad memories of a retailer using that line)</FONT></o:p></P>

[/quote]</P>

KNEW IT WOULD![Y]</P>

Ian</P>
                    sigpic
                    Yamaha EL90T

Comment

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3>Chris and Donna wouldn’t mind! Whatever happened to them?</FONT></P>
                      <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3></FONT></P>

Comment

That's quite a bargain bundle, and good to hear that the Lowrey came back to life so easily. There is a guy at the Lowrey Yahoo group who has won several Lowreys on eBay for 99p. I recall he got one home and found some pound coins in the bench, so made an instant profit on the deal!</P>

The H25-2 can sound great. That leslie combo added the ability to make ensemble strings, which was the icing on the cake. Try to find the album by Johhny Kemm "First Class-confirmed" on the Concert Recording label, to hear the organ at its brilliant best.</P>

I liked the H25-3 as well, with the brass and string synths. Big as a bus, with a big sound to match.</P>

Andy</P>

Comment

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman">Yes, I read Richards amusing post about the coin. The Lowrey was indeed an easy fix. Almost disappointing. Here I was, all prepared for a few days of fault finding, armed with multimeter, oscilloscope, solder gear and a handful of components on the ready. This is something new and exciting for an old retired carpenter. When I found a blown 2Amp fuse where there should have been 1Amp I expected major dramas. No, not so – just a bad diode. I am sure there will be plenty of opportunities in the future to practice my infantile electronic skills.</FONT></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt"></SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman">To create ensemble strings with the 2 Channel Leslie 705 is probably not possible. I found the Johnny Kemm album for sale for US$9. I have to find out how much they want for shipping. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></FONT></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman">Cheers,</FONT></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman">Skippy<o:p></o:p></FONT></SPAN></P>

Comment

It's the 'space generator' in the 102/103 that does the ensemble. If you could take the output from the 3rd channel in the organ, run it through a guitar FX box for the ensemble effect and then into a separate amp, thatmight do it, but it's a lotta hassle!</P>

Plenty to really enjoy in the H25 as it is anyway.</P>

Andy</P>
                            <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Comment

[quote user="skippy"]
                              <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3>Chris and Donna wouldn’t mind! Whatever happened to them?</FONT></P>
                              <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3></FONT></P>

[/quote]</P>

Wasn't referring to them - someone a little closer to home! C. last I heard was importing 2nd hand Jap pianos.</P>

Ian.</P>
                              <P mce_keep="true"></P>
                              sigpic
                              Yamaha EL90T

Comment

Working...
                              X