No announcement yet.

Unlocking the Yamaha E70

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have no doubt your contributions are more than welcome and appreciated on this end, certainly helped open my eyes to the possibilities of these machines after all these years... : )

Originally posted by marcjeparkje View Post
    Dear All,

I stand corrected in a very public way. My apologies therefore, especailly to Alvek. It seems the penny dropped after all.

A short explanation: The subject of "getting no credit where credit is due" is a big stone in my tummy. I have even lost jobs because people stole my work and took credit for it. And there is no earthly force that will correct such injustices because poeple rather look away than confront the culprits. It has added a bitter, angry and difficult to handle layer to my personality that often defies the natural naivity with which I was born.

Yep, I am extremely complex.

But let's go back to more pleasurable subjects.

Marc
    Last edited by keyman2; 07-16-2012, 05:56 PM.

Comment

• Hello everyone that has contributed to this thread. I bought a e70 a week ago along with a pair of RA200 amps that have been rewired to have the leslie speakers controlled by the e70's tremelo/chorus controls. Great unit. this thread inspired me to purchase the organ. thanks everyone, marc thanks for the direct insturctions you posted. I have read through the entire thread (but may have forgot something along the way). I have some ideas and questions.
      1. drum machine. I was looking at the schematic and it looks like each drum sound has a circuit that creates each sound. has anyone tapped this circuit to control the volume and maybe filter of individual drum sounds. is it possible

2. I am thinking of taking the aux in/out and adding a kaoss pad. but the schematic shows that the aux in only goes to the main speakers but not the rotating speaker. and the in on the speakers is the rca jacks on the right side wall. so I am thinking a control along with the son of gx that controls the routing to the speakers when using the kaoss pad

3. is there anyway to mod the e70 so you can pick more than one preset at a time

4. is there any idea for a hold or sustain foot switch on the arpegator

5. my upper touch vibrato only works on the far right keys closest to the actual bulb/photosensor. I was thinking of trying some simple weather stripping like you would use to insulate your front door and lay it down where the crappy foam is. any thoughts?

Comment

• Additional Ideas for E-70 mods/fixes...

Another hardware enthusiast? : )

Sure, you could break out all the drum sounds and do whatever you like at that point. However, filtering them would require additional onboard or outboard circuitry.

For the Leslie, you should be able to add a summing point to the circuit feeding the Leslie output, as long as you didn't overload it and use capacitor coupling to isolate DC, then it should work?

Generally simultaneous presets could work, but frankly, if you do the Son of GX mod, you'll be miles ahead in being able to setup any tone you want rather than see what happens with mixing the presets? Otherwise, it 'should' be doable as an experiment to see what you get out of it...Without looking at the circuitry... you would have to override the hardware enable lines of the preset diode/resistor matrix with additional control signals - you might have to switch out the existing E70 control lines and assert your own via the additional switch, just make sure you use the same enable levels as the E70 .

Haven't looked into the Hold idea on the ARP, good idea though... you'd have to see if there's a way to latch/hold the keyscanner output data? Something that might not be possible without some additional digital logic... from what I recall the logic levels are non-standard, though CMOS might be okay with it if you ground to the right rail? (Adamstan commented on the Logic levels at one point)

Haven't had any issues with the manual vibrato myself, but If you're able to substitute an equivalent thickness and 'texture', it could work... is the existing material anything like that white foam tape with adhesive on one side?

Hopefully that will give you some motivation?

Originally posted by Jayson Taylor View Post
        Hello everyone that has contributed to this thread. I bought a e70 a week ago along with a pair of RA200 amps that have been rewired to have the leslie speakers controlled by the e70's tremelo/chorus controls. Great unit. this thread inspired me to purchase the organ. thanks everyone, marc thanks for the direct insturctions you posted. I have read through the entire thread (but may have forgot something along the way). I have some ideas and questions.

1. drum machine. I was looking at the schematic and it looks like each drum sound has a circuit that creates each sound. has anyone tapped this circuit to control the volume and maybe filter of individual drum sounds. is it possible

2. I am thinking of taking the aux in/out and adding a kaoss pad. but the schematic shows that the aux in only goes to the main speakers but not the rotating speaker. and the in on the speakers is the rca jacks on the right side wall. so I am thinking a control along with the son of gx that controls the routing to the speakers when using the kaoss pad

3. is there anyway to mod the e70 so you can pick more than one preset at a time

4. is there any idea for a hold or sustain foot switch on the arpegator

5. my upper touch vibrato only works on the far right keys closest to the actual bulb/photosensor. I was thinking of trying some simple weather stripping like you would use to insulate your front door and lay it down where the crappy foam is. any thoughts?

Comment

• Hello all, I am considering getting a 7000, which I believe everyone agrees is identical to the E75 for the US market. Since the organ is not local, I am trying to Skype with the owner and have him test out the organ completely as it would be essentially sight unseen otherwise. He hasn't really used the organ - he obtained from a local church and only got it for the Leslie that came with it. On initial contact with him, he didn't even realize there was a pull out drawer for the preset piston settings. He tried to slide it out but is having difficulty and thinks there might be a latch or something that releases the drawer. Does anyone know if that's the case, or should it just slide out without any resistance? What are the questions I should ask him or have him test out during our Skype session? I hate to get it and find out it's not fully functional and have it end up as a useless paperweight!

Oh, by the way, is there a built-in fake Leslie (fan assembly like the E70) in this model as well?

Thanks in anticipation to anyone who can chime in. :->

Comment

• Hi Everyone. I'm new here but have been asked to fix an E70 on which the lower flute has disappeared. Actually it and its nuances are still discernible at low level so there's probably just a bad capacitor etc on the mixing board.
            However with no Service Manual and only the cryptic 'MA', 'VE', etc on the inside of the case to denote which board does what I'm desperately in need of either the full Service Manual or at least a few block/flow diagrams or relevant schematics. Full manual would be great for future fixing though.
            If any kind person could scan/photocopy I'd be happy to pay a reasonable price for a pdf etc. I Notice there's an original one going for $198 on ebay but a bit out of my range. I offered $50 for a scan but it was no dice.
            Thanks in advance for any help or pointers.
            Lincoln

Comment

• Lincoln, try these sources - http://www.wdgreenhill.com/manu/yamaha.htm#manuals
              http://www.mauritron.com/yamaha.html

Comment

• Lincoln, go to page 32 of this thread, post #318. I think you will find what you need there!

Frank
                Hammond C3 & Leslie 122, Yamaha E70, Lowrey MX1

Comment

• Thanks Dr. Funk. Didn't see that link! Also, I checked through the whole thread and I don't see if there is a guide of sorts to take you through step by step in the E70/E75 modification. Does anybody know if a guide exists or is anyone selling such a guide? I would love to modify one like those posted on youtube.

Comment

• Also, does anyone know of an online service capable of printing service manuals with fold-out pages for the schematics?

Comment

• http://www.skerjanc.de/E-75.htm

Comment

• Comment

• Thank You very much Dr Funk and especially leeboy!. Great link.
                          Lincoln

Comment

• Another idea for you 'hardware hackers' looking for a quick and easy mod...You can electronically exercise the knee switch with a basic switch circuit - this will allow you to dynamically alternate between two voice settings ( the chosen preset button and manual settings) Vary the speed as you like or, with a little more ingenuity, electronically sync it to the rhythm generator.

You can get some very interesting/dramatic results if you have the right combination of patches, even subtle ones that don't have to be so dramatic to be musically inspirational, try it manually to see for yourself.... any takers?

Comment

• Just a clarification, the mod would be a simple 555 timer and transistor in parallel with the 'knee switch' contacts - it wouldn't otherwise affect the operation of the knee switch . Alternatively, use a trigger pulse from one of the the rhythm machine instruments to control the transistor so as to be in sync with the tempo. Overall it provides a unique modulation or shift in various options for all the related parameters being switched in and out between presets and normal front panel settings.

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X