Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unlocking the Yamaha E70

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by mseven View Post


    AdamStan

    I really enjoy these pieces, having recently discovered your videos after seeing your posts for a couple years. Never heard of Blackmore's night till a week ago. I didn't notice there's something is up with your hand. I hope it hasn't caused you too much trouble. It seems you're over any problems that might be presented by playing.

    Totally emotive and engaging. My goal with arts and I wasn't sure an organ could do it especially a D85.

    Mark
    Thank you :-) My hands are like this from the very beginning, so I learned playing this way - had plenty of time to get used to it :-)

    I had long break from the forum, and I see that the topic is going on in many interesting directions. As for my E50, unfortunately I still didn't have the time to try my new keyscan/MIDI circuit. If it works, I want to replace "orchestra" oscillators with dual VCOs, and then make SoGX-style control panels, to convert this E50 into Prophet-10-style monster polysynth :-)

    Now I realized that maybe there is another way to add VCO without replacing the keyboard scanner. There are DACs that output CV related to key pressed to control filters. However I'm not sure, if they are precise enough for oscillators. Must check this.

    OTOH - MIDI would be nice for some HW/MyOrgan stuff :-)

    Comment


    • Well well well thank you for dropping by! I hope you like what you see. I hope Electone development here that you helped found gives as much pleasure to you as it gives the few of us here (and later all those people wanting real instruments)

      On a recent thread here about some 2013 Wersi computer/organ, I was saying that fully digital machines are, at best, less inspiring than analog.

      Because I make "visual art", and a few of my friends and myself know that, without the variance element, like a brush pressure or line consistency, thet uniformity of pure digital machines can't intrigue the receivers soul in a quest for resolution. I think you know this stuff because you play it!

      Along those lines, I think this is a great idea you have here...

      Originally posted by adamstan View Post
      convert this E50 into Prophet-10-style monster polysynth :-)
      This would be amazing! :)
      Last edited by mseven; 06-26-2013, 10:35 PM.
      Mark Sutin

      Comment


      • Originally posted by mseven View Post
        M3me, I haven't seen any kind of performance data about the switches and I'm betting that no reliable data actually exists if you know what I mean...

        There are different models I recall; the ones I bought are SPST NO and led circuit is completely unattached from the switch. So far so good for my needs, but as you suggest what happens when they break in a few years..? Actually I think they're gonna be fine. They're smartly engineered.



        Well... I just found something, but really, who knows:

        Specifications
        Light switch R16-503AD, self-lock, illuminated, 16mm 1A 250VAC red, green, yellow, blue colors
        Light switch R16-503AD features:
        1> Rating: 1A 250V, 3A 125VAC
        2> Dielectric Intensity: 1500VAC/1min
        3> Life: >10000 Cycles
        4> Enviromental Temperature: -25--+85
        5> Contact Resistance: <50mΩ
        6> Insulation Resistance: >100mΩ
        I never did thank you for providing this information. I appreciate you taking the time to do so. :)

        Thanks .. :)
        1962 A102 - Marshall powered 1965 Leslie 251 - 1955 M3 that is for sale
        Emerson-Smith-Dennerlein-Jobson-Walsh-(Jon) Lord enthusiast and typical rock-hack player.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by M3me View Post
          I never did thank you for providing this information. I appreciate you taking the time to do so. :)

          Thanks .. :)
          Sure thing, no prob
          Mark Sutin

          Comment


          • A great audio track and amazing 'fly-by' of the E-75 innards - much like an E-70, for those that might find it useful or are curious what all went into building one of these and why they were so pricey in their day....

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CIfR--31nI
            Last edited by keyman2; 06-30-2013, 07:02 PM.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by keyman2 View Post
              A great audio track and amazing 'fly-by' of the E-75 innards - much like an E-70, for those that might find it useful or are curious what all went into building one of these and why they were so pricey in their day....

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CIfR--31nI
              Nice track but the unintentional distortion drives me nuts... difficult to listen to. The Flametop Fred vids always have awesome sound quality so that's an alternative.

              From my experience of listening and researching, it seems the E75 is somewhere between the E 70 and D-85. I would pick one up in two seconds.

              ==================

              On another note, the CNC guy appears to be faltering. Not sure why, but it's put the E50 panel into holding pattern.
              Mark Sutin

              Comment


              • Yeah, I wouldn't have minded the E-75 vs. the E-70 due to those extra choir voices etc. The D-85 is nice, more of an 80's sounds with the PCM drums and bass patterns...

                Sure the sound it a bit distorted, but I thought the photo effects were great, nice feature..

                B.T.W. how's your custom panel coming along?



                Originally posted by mseven View Post
                Nice track but the unintentional distortion drives me nuts... difficult to listen to. The Flametop Fred vids always have awesome sound quality so that's an alternative.

                From my experience of listening and researching, it seems the E75 is somewhere between the E 70 and D-85. I would pick one up in two seconds.

                ==================

                On another note, the CNC guy appears to be faltering. Not sure why, but it's put the E50 panel into holding pattern.

                Comment


                • I'm betting the E-70 has a sweeter sound than the E-75, so I'm happy to have the 70's brother the E-50, and a D-85. I don't think I'd trade the E-50 for the E-75. I'd be happy to be proven wrong though. The D-85 is more of an 80's sound I agree. That I might trade for an E-75... if I had the chance. BTW, an E-70 was just sold in Vancouver via CL within a couple days; no price mentioned.

                  The panel is in the CNC guy's hands. He hasn't responded for a couple weeks. I'm not sure what's happened and I don't want to bug him too much.

                  Originally posted by keyman2 View Post
                  Yeah, I wouldn't have minded the E-75 vs. the E-70 due to those extra choir voices etc. The D-85 is nice, more of an 80's sounds with the PCM drums and bass patterns...

                  Sure the sound it a bit distorted, but I thought the photo effects were great, nice feature..

                  B.T.W. how's your custom panel coming along?
                  Mark Sutin

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by mseven View Post
                    Nice track but the unintentional distortion drives me nuts... difficult to listen to. The Flametop Fred vids always have awesome sound quality so that's an alternative.

                    From my experience of listening and researching, it seems the E75 is somewhere between the E 70 and D-85. I would pick one up in two seconds.
                    Last edited by magnus-pn; 07-12-2013, 07:24 AM.
                    Yamaha Electone EX 42, R 60B, E 75, TM 5, D 85, CSY2E, YC 45D, C605, C55N, B60, BK20-B, BK5C , Eminent 310U, Elka Artist 707L, Hammond T522, Hammond B3000 with leslie 722, Yamaha CP80 Electric Grand, Yamaha CP 25, 30 and 35 electric pianos.

                    Comment


                    • Compressor/Limiters might help keep the levels from saturation, but then you loose dynamic range, better to keep the level in the proper range as much as possible and apply the compression /limiter as needed.

                      The deal with the E75 vs. D85 is that they share similar choir voices and possibly PCM percussion? (or it that just the D-85 and the 7000, a later variant of the E-70?)

                      Thanks for mentioning the E-45/D-85, it brought me back to this, which should get your attention, http://www.carlopetrini.it/index-e.html

                      YAMAHA E45/Electone D-85 ELECTRONIC ORGAN MIDI INTERFACE. 8 bit microprocessor based MIDI interface for Yamaha E45 and D-85 Electone family (old) electronic organ (manufactured before the MIDI introduction).

                      http://www.carlopetrini.it/YAMAHAE45/index_e.html

                      I don't recall if I ever contacted the fellow, but someone should.... okay, I just did and will let you know if I hear back... of course for those that might naturally speak Italian, please feel free to contact him as well.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by keyman2 View Post
                        Compressor/Limiters might help keep the levels from saturation, but then you loose dynamic range, better to keep the level in the proper range as much as possible and apply the compression /limiter as needed.

                        The deal with the E75 vs. D85 is that they share similar choir voices and possibly PCM percussion? (or it that just the D-85 and the 7000, a later variant of the E-70?)

                        Thanks for mentioning the E-45/D-85, it brought me back to this, which should get your attention, http://www.carlopetrini.it/index-e.html

                        YAMAHA E45/Electone D-85 ELECTRONIC ORGAN MIDI INTERFACE. 8 bit microprocessor based MIDI interface for Yamaha E45 and D-85 Electone family (old) electronic organ (manufactured before the MIDI introduction).

                        http://www.carlopetrini.it/YAMAHAE45/index_e.html

                        I don't recall if I ever contacted the fellow, but someone should.... okay, I just did and will let you know if I hear back... of course for those that might naturally speak Italian, please feel free to contact him as well.
                        Yamaha Electone EX 42, R 60B, E 75, TM 5, D 85, CSY2E, YC 45D, C605, C55N, B60, BK20-B, BK5C , Eminent 310U, Elka Artist 707L, Hammond T522, Hammond B3000 with leslie 722, Yamaha CP80 Electric Grand, Yamaha CP 25, 30 and 35 electric pianos.

                        Comment


                        • If you're not familiar with them (sorry if I'm being redundant), it's almost mandatory to use an external Compressor/Limiter, especially one with a properl bar graph display so that you can see what your input and compression levels are at - that's my recommendation. Computers rely on the sound card which could have a virtual level indication but the compression is software and naturally a bit response limited vs. hardware. Otherwise, monitor those high's and lows to be sure you're keeping good dynamic range but not overshooting the inputs.....

                          Yeah, the trouble with most 'midification' devices is they don't do the Yamaha keyscan convention, and this fellow looks to have implemented these specific features - BUT on second look, it's only MIDI OUT, not MIDI IN! So we're no further ahead since we're looking for MIDI in...

                          I should have pursued my own related controller designs, if I was a bit more experienced with the related issues (MIDI Protocol/timing etc) as it takes a bit of development & debugging time to make this interfacing work - something that Adamstan was also looking into.

                          The US variant Electone numbering are confusing, guess marketing thought A, B, C, D, E was too simple? : )


                          Last edited by keyman2; 07-13-2013, 07:27 PM.

                          Comment


                          • I know you'll get over it! :) After all, who am I to complain; my first post of me playing keyboard was recorded with an Android... :/ Hell I even have your song in my signature!

                            Interesting, I think Fred brought the E-70 to my attention also and began me on this quest. I heard one of his E-70 vamps one night and was completely thrilled by the sound, and of course his playing is great too.

                            I too am very intrigued by the evolution of the E70/540/30, D-85/45 and E75. Its not easy tightly charachterising the textural differences of the sound though, but I'm sure we'll try.

                            Mark Sutin

                            Comment


                            • Mark Sutin

                              Comment


                              • Polyphonic Aftertouch? That's sure to get Marc Brasse's attention, if he's not too busy with his new all-in-wonder setup... It does tend to use up a bit of MIDI bandwidth - though not a big deal if you don't use MIDI. There doesn't seem to be that much call for these expressive features - some might even consider it a gimmick, like the infrared position sensors on the Roland synth gear. The fingered vibrato feature on the upper manual of the E series and solo on the D-85 is pretty progressive, cheaper than individual velocity or the after-touch found in the CSY.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X