• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy

Is that ever great!

Originally posted by FlametopFred View Post
    A w e s o m e ! ! ! !
    Keyman, I've been working 16 months to build a business in the "Internet Of Things"; I haven't touched the E-50 mods since a while ago.

I will return once the I get this new business going.
    Mark Sutin

Comment

• Work comes first so totally understand - the anticipation has been long in the making... ; )

Comment

• Haven't seen Yamaha do anything 'retro' yet....imagine the effort! It would be akin to Moog and their reissuing of the System 55... But what the hey, the least they could do is reissue the CS80 - now that would be cool to have that with modern/compact SMT components that did not create so much heat etc. Plus it would probably have that little USB connector on the back just to bring it on par with modern gear...as long as they don't turn it into the Jupiter 80 concept which is about as far from the old Jupiter 8 as you can get except for colour scheme... ; )

Originally posted by FlametopFred View Post
        A w e s o m e ! ! ! !

Can't wait to see some video. I need to go on holiday just to play that amazing instrument!

There is no reason Yamaha could not make these now! :)

Would not that be sweet? Indeed. ha!

Comment

• Oh geez, look at this.

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/msg/5000392123.html (Time sensitive Craigslist post)

An E70, E50 and 2 D85s.

It makes me wonder about a craft in "Son of GX-ing" these Es.

To be honest, I'd love to do these two and finish mine at the same time. That would make a worthwhile week(s). I wonder if there are buyers out there.

Hat tip for the link to our BC friend Europanaut.
          Mark Sutin

Comment

• Wow, almost enough to fill a railway car.... ; )

Comment

• hi guys! new to the forum but read most of the pages over here. i made my son of gx 75 with the great guide from marc.
              here is the documentation if you are interested:
              http://jacobkorn.de/studio/yamaha-e-...ification.html

i was curious what happened to the idea of hacking the keyboard scanner with an arduino mega to get a midi in? thats what iam trying at the moment.
              any help with the code appreciated! cheers, jacob

Comment

• Very nice job on capturing your conversion - well done!
                The one fellow you might want to PM is AdamStan, he had many distractions with his custom polyphonic synth, but did mention the possibility of getting back to the key scanner replacement. He may well be available to help out that way. Good luck!

Originally posted by jkorn View Post
                hi guys! new to the forum but read most of the pages over here. i made my son of gx 75 with the great guide from marc.
                here is the documentation if you are interested:
                http://jacobkorn.de/studio/yamaha-e-...ification.html

i was curious what happened to the idea of hacking the keyboard scanner with an arduino mega to get a midi in? thats what iam trying at the moment.
                any help with the code appreciated! cheers, jacob

Comment

• Hello everyone. A new member here - I hope it's ok to revisit an old thread (if it is regarded as such) but this thread (and others connected to it) is the reason I am here:

After seeing some videos on YouTube and avidly reading I've just purchased a D85 (although it will be a while before I have it here in Moscow - it's currently in England until I move to a bigger apartment).

After all this reading about expanding these PASS Electones I have a plan to do this myself, but in a slightly different way: It seems the best combination is a D85 for the solo synth and the rhythms, but an E70 for the ability to expand the polyphonic synths and the larger keyboards. So, my idea is to combine the best of both into a single organ that although it will have extra controls, looks otherwise factory.

I should add that I have some electronics and cabinet restoration skills, so I am confident of being able to make a good job of it (essential, as I have a wife to please in the aesthetics department!)

Am I mad? Quite possibly, but I would be very glad to hear from anyone who has some ideas, those who have/had both organs and know the insides pretty well.

I'm happy for this to be moved to another thread if it makes more sense.

So, hello again and I look forward to hearing from you.

Ray
                  Last edited by Ray Fenwick; 03-14-2016, 03:19 AM.

Comment

• Sounds like a great project. Welcome to the forum and keep us posted.

Comment

• This must be one of the longest threads ever, with members finding ways to bludgeon and cajole the old PASS organs into becoming synths.

Welcome to the fold, Ray. Let us know what you do and how you do it!
                      It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
                      Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
                      Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
                      Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

• Thanks for the welcome, guys. D85 is getting collected next weekend. Then to find an E70...

I'll keep you posted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ray Fenwick View Post
                          Thanks for the welcome, guys. D85 is getting collected next weekend. Then to find an E70...

I'll keep you posted.
                          You might have seen the more recent postings that showed Marc Brasse's integration of his CSY-2 into his broken out E70? Should be inspirational if you've got the same ideas.... ' ; )

P.S. E75 is one up from the E70 so keep your eye out for that too

Comment

• Actually I didn't see that... Must try to find it...

D85 ownership delayed as the person I trusted to collect for me just pocket the cash and didn't do anything :(

Comment

• Originally posted by Ray Fenwick View Post
                              Actually I didn't see that... Must try to find it...

D85 ownership delayed as the person I trusted to collect for me just pocket the cash and didn't do anything :(
                              Ouch, not nice! Hopefully you'll get that sorted out...

You'd definitely have more luck integrating a smaller model like Marc did - the fact he's done it is a testament to his perseverance and tenacity. There was another fellow that posted two D85's stacked together - literally one on top the other! Keep in mind that the D85 is a digital controlled unit and much more complicated to mod (if even practical).... CSY-2 or CSY-1 would be much more practical. Also D80 has an integrated CS10 with all the chips though mostly as a preset and not having the same ability to stack the manuals vs. the E70 or D85.

Comment

• That's actually echoed the way I've been thinking... that a CSY + E75 would be the best option. Having looked at Marc's combination it definitely seems like the way to go. I have thought about keeping instruments unmodified, but space is always going to be a premium, and for the footprint Marc's combination is superb. I have a Technics G100 in storage waiting until I move to a bigger place, so a very analogue Yamaha and the very digital Technics would be a good complement for each other. Plus we have a Technics PR840 (currently in the only available space)...

Interesting how the D80's CS10 vs the CSY would compare...

Comment

Working...
                                X