No announcement yet.

Unlocking the Yamaha E70

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, pretty impressive what's being done here after the initial examples.... if the pedal board is lacking an envelope, there's nothing to stop you from bypassing the built in envelope with an external one that has all the features? Not sure if the 'oscillator' is sustained after released?
    Originally posted by Natron View Post
    Hello Fellow enthusiasts, i am currently unlocking my E70. I am mostly done but have run into a few things. Concerning the pedal TPR 4 board, it appears there is no VCF 2nd decay clock. How does one access that?[ATTACH=CONFIG]30016[/ATTACH]
    - - - Updated - - -

Merry Xmas Ray... extracting the CS portion of the D-80 is a bit of a challenge, being it more integrated with the rest of the wiring harness... started doing this myself but it started getting quite tangled. My best recommendation would be to desolder wires to the related CS portion cards and reattach after extracting the relevant bits. If you're talking about 'chopping' the D-80, I've done a bit of that, to get the overall depth reduced. There's a lot of empty room in the bottom cabinet vs. the E70 so I guess it's doable to seperate things like the Leslie and such. P.S. I think I see your related F.B. page if that makes correspondence any easier (Elie Man, https://www.facebook.com/groups/203021266773487/) since this thread is a bit dormant? Did you have any particular images in mind that you were curious to review? It would be a shame to dismantle the D85 as it's less useful - the synth is more digitally controlled in anycase. Otherwise it does have a nice ensemble chorus board - you'd miss out on the things like the choir voices, programmable rhythm machine etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Rusty - as mentioned to Ray, the CS synth in the D80 is a little more awkward to extract than say the CS from the CSY-1 or 2, you need to detach the harness off the boards and reattach after extraction... haven't quite got there, having tried to go the brute force method but it quickly becomes tangled. You could create your own presets via Arduino but that requires a distributed sample and hold system, similar to older analog synths and newer ones as well. Or else, use a hardwired matrix of trimmer potentiometers (same as already in the E70, CSY1 and CSY-2)... means feeding a control voltage to each related portion, maybe incorporating analog switches where you want to modify signal paths or feed in external control/audio signals etc. This is similar to the programming cartridges used in the GX-1 and the compartment of 'presets'. E70 has something similar in the little pull out drawer, but that's just for the organ proper (been a while in case I'm wrong). Though not strictly applicable to the E70, where the CSY is monophonic vs. polyphonic, you might get some inspirations from some mods I did on my CSY-2AE... inspired by Brasse, where I've added a few of my own options etc. https://soundcloud.com/synthmans/set...mental-modular

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Rusty - as mentioned to Ray, the CS synth in the D80 is a little more awkward to extract than say the CS from the CSY-1 or 2, you need to detach the harness off the boards and reattach after extraction... haven't quite got there, having tried to go the brute force method but it quickly becomes tangled. You could create your own presets via Arduino but that requires a distributed sample and hold system, similar to older analog synths and newer ones as well. Or else, use a hardwired matrix of trimmer potentiometers (same as already in the E70, CSY1 and CSY-2)... means feeding a control voltage to each related portion, maybe incorporating analog switches where you want to modify signal paths or feed in external control/audio signals etc. This is similar to the programming cartridges used in the GX-1 and the compartment of 'presets'. E70 has something similar in the little pull out drawer, but that's just for the organ proper (been a while in case I'm wrong). Though not strictly applicable to the E70, where the CSY is monophonic vs. polyphonic, you might get some inspirations from some mods I did on my CSY-2AE... inspired by Brasse, where I've added a few of my own options etc. https://soundcloud.com/synthmans/set...mental-modular

Originally posted by Ray Fenwick View Post
    Hello everyone.

Just to let you know that I am finally in the same place as my organs and can soon begin to look at this project. To remind you, I have an E-50, D-80 and D-85 to supply parts, plus a lot of parts from an E5-R that was scrapped - including lots of sliders and switches.

The plan is to integrate the D-80 solo synth in the E-50, with some other goodies thrown in. One change to the plan is that I'll have to 'chop' it, as my circumstances have changed a lot, and it must be transportable. So I plan to transfer everything into a CS80 style case and front panel, and use my RA-50 for amplification.

I like the Arduino idea - did it get any further?

This thread is great (I've just read all 75 pages again...) but many of the links to images are now dead - I wonder if the OP's are around and could refresh them?

All advice gratefully received, and glad to know that people are still interested in this project - there's some great instruments out there, and more to come!

Slightly late, but Merry Christmas to all!

Ray

I
    - - - Updated - - -

See reply to Ray's posting

Comment

• Thanks for the info, Keyman2. I will go slowly and take lots of photos I guess. I do have a FB group dedicated just to PASS - https://www.facebook.com/groups/2031070777161808/ I'd be happy for anyone with an interest in PASS organs and synths to join me there and collate all our ideas and info.

Comment

• Just to add to this, is anyone in regular contact with AdamStan? If so, could you ask him if he'd please get in touch? I've sent a few messages in a few places but haven't got anywhere yet...Thanks!

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Did you try his SoundCloud account Ray, I did just hear back from him on a track of his - but he may be fairly distracted with his polysynth build? BTW thanks for hosting the FB Electone pages...good to have that compliment to this forum as well. Likewise post me on FB if you want a more immediate point of contact. : )

• Hello, my name is Alejandro, I bought an Electone E70, I would like to know what this whole theme of the modifications has been, has anyone installed aftertouch? sensitivity? analog oscillators? ribbon? Thank you.

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          You can add pretty much anything that would add to the existing subtractive design, just understand that the front end oscillators are clocked samples in ROM, which in theory would still allow you to vary the related frequencies in real time but that might not be practical if it's a synchronous system in that respect, whereby any deviations would have to be within the limited window currently offered by the front panel controls etc. Otherwise the Filters and VCA's are open to whatever you can dream of in terms of mods. You would be better off adding another foot pedal feature to select after touch, if not a seperate one. Ribbon would likely only be useful if that comment regarding the clocked samples is asynchronous vs. synchronous. The upper keyboard has a limited 'vibrato' range of movement, so not terribly useful unless you have something in mind. You would basically have to take over the function of the 'keyscanner' to be able to do anything substantially clever but that might be more justifiable just to prove you can do it vs. being overly practical... people have done that more so for the CS series of yamaha synths by replicating the functions of the custom chips...not a casual endeavor and the E70 is likely not much different in that respect. good luck and enjoy your E70

• Thank you very much for answering, this whole topic is very interesting, are there images and audios of some modified E-70s? Greetings.

Comment

• Hello to all who value these organs with PASS technology, I want to show you some videos that I uploaded to YouTube, I am experiencing new things with the E70, I would like to share them with you, I take this opportunity to thank Marc Brassé and Flametop Fred, thanks to them and to all Those who participated in this "thread" I am enjoying a lot with my Electone, it is a high quality instrument from which you can learn a lot. Greetings friends, I wait for any comment! any ideas!!! Thank you.

Comment

• https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cqkKZ5OqPfs#menu

Comment

• https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S7hf6G9x_4g

Comment

• https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TqP4pHQ5hLo

Comment

Working...
                X