No announcement yet.

Unlocking the Yamaha E70

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, pretty impressive what's being done here after the initial examples.... if the pedal board is lacking an envelope, there's nothing to stop you from bypassing the built in envelope with an external one that has all the features? Not sure if the 'oscillator' is sustained after released?
    Originally posted by Natron View Post
    Hello Fellow enthusiasts, i am currently unlocking my E70. I am mostly done but have run into a few things. Concerning the pedal TPR 4 board, it appears there is no VCF 2nd decay clock. How does one access that?[ATTACH=CONFIG]30016[/ATTACH]
    - - - Updated - - -

Merry Xmas Ray... extracting the CS portion of the D-80 is a bit of a challenge, being it more integrated with the rest of the wiring harness... started doing this myself but it started getting quite tangled. My best recommendation would be to desolder wires to the related CS portion cards and reattach after extracting the relevant bits. If you're talking about 'chopping' the D-80, I've done a bit of that, to get the overall depth reduced. There's a lot of empty room in the bottom cabinet vs. the E70 so I guess it's doable to seperate things like the Leslie and such. P.S. I think I see your related F.B. page if that makes correspondence any easier (Elie Man, https://www.facebook.com/groups/203021266773487/) since this thread is a bit dormant? Did you have any particular images in mind that you were curious to review? It would be a shame to dismantle the D85 as it's less useful - the synth is more digitally controlled in anycase. Otherwise it does have a nice ensemble chorus board - you'd miss out on the things like the choir voices, programmable rhythm machine etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Rusty - as mentioned to Ray, the CS synth in the D80 is a little more awkward to extract than say the CS from the CSY-1 or 2, you need to detach the harness off the boards and reattach after extraction... haven't quite got there, having tried to go the brute force method but it quickly becomes tangled. You could create your own presets via Arduino but that requires a distributed sample and hold system, similar to older analog synths and newer ones as well. Or else, use a hardwired matrix of trimmer potentiometers (same as already in the E70, CSY1 and CSY-2)... means feeding a control voltage to each related portion, maybe incorporating analog switches where you want to modify signal paths or feed in external control/audio signals etc. This is similar to the programming cartridges used in the GX-1 and the compartment of 'presets'. E70 has something similar in the little pull out drawer, but that's just for the organ proper (been a while in case I'm wrong). Though not strictly applicable to the E70, where the CSY is monophonic vs. polyphonic, you might get some inspirations from some mods I did on my CSY-2AE... inspired by Brasse, where I've added a few of my own options etc. https://soundcloud.com/synthmans/set...mental-modular

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Rusty - as mentioned to Ray, the CS synth in the D80 is a little more awkward to extract than say the CS from the CSY-1 or 2, you need to detach the harness off the boards and reattach after extraction... haven't quite got there, having tried to go the brute force method but it quickly becomes tangled. You could create your own presets via Arduino but that requires a distributed sample and hold system, similar to older analog synths and newer ones as well. Or else, use a hardwired matrix of trimmer potentiometers (same as already in the E70, CSY1 and CSY-2)... means feeding a control voltage to each related portion, maybe incorporating analog switches where you want to modify signal paths or feed in external control/audio signals etc. This is similar to the programming cartridges used in the GX-1 and the compartment of 'presets'. E70 has something similar in the little pull out drawer, but that's just for the organ proper (been a while in case I'm wrong). Though not strictly applicable to the E70, where the CSY is monophonic vs. polyphonic, you might get some inspirations from some mods I did on my CSY-2AE... inspired by Brasse, where I've added a few of my own options etc. https://soundcloud.com/synthmans/set...mental-modular

Originally posted by Ray Fenwick View Post
    Hello everyone.

Just to let you know that I am finally in the same place as my organs and can soon begin to look at this project. To remind you, I have an E-50, D-80 and D-85 to supply parts, plus a lot of parts from an E5-R that was scrapped - including lots of sliders and switches.

The plan is to integrate the D-80 solo synth in the E-50, with some other goodies thrown in. One change to the plan is that I'll have to 'chop' it, as my circumstances have changed a lot, and it must be transportable. So I plan to transfer everything into a CS80 style case and front panel, and use my RA-50 for amplification.

I like the Arduino idea - did it get any further?

This thread is great (I've just read all 75 pages again...) but many of the links to images are now dead - I wonder if the OP's are around and could refresh them?

All advice gratefully received, and glad to know that people are still interested in this project - there's some great instruments out there, and more to come!

Slightly late, but Merry Christmas to all!

Ray

I
    - - - Updated - - -

See reply to Ray's posting

Comment

• Thanks for the info, Keyman2. I will go slowly and take lots of photos I guess. I do have a FB group dedicated just to PASS - https://www.facebook.com/groups/2031070777161808/ I'd be happy for anyone with an interest in PASS organs and synths to join me there and collate all our ideas and info.

Comment

• Just to add to this, is anyone in regular contact with AdamStan? If so, could you ask him if he'd please get in touch? I've sent a few messages in a few places but haven't got anywhere yet...Thanks!

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Did you try his SoundCloud account Ray, I did just hear back from him on a track of his - but he may be fairly distracted with his polysynth build? BTW thanks for hosting the FB Electone pages...good to have that compliment to this forum as well. Likewise post me on FB if you want a more immediate point of contact. : )

• Hello, my name is Alejandro, I bought an Electone E70, I would like to know what this whole theme of the modifications has been, has anyone installed aftertouch? sensitivity? analog oscillators? ribbon? Thank you.

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          You can add pretty much anything that would add to the existing subtractive design, just understand that the front end oscillators are clocked samples in ROM, which in theory would still allow you to vary the related frequencies in real time but that might not be practical if it's a synchronous system in that respect, whereby any deviations would have to be within the limited window currently offered by the front panel controls etc. Otherwise the Filters and VCA's are open to whatever you can dream of in terms of mods. You would be better off adding another foot pedal feature to select after touch, if not a seperate one. Ribbon would likely only be useful if that comment regarding the clocked samples is asynchronous vs. synchronous. The upper keyboard has a limited 'vibrato' range of movement, so not terribly useful unless you have something in mind. You would basically have to take over the function of the 'keyscanner' to be able to do anything substantially clever but that might be more justifiable just to prove you can do it vs. being overly practical... people have done that more so for the CS series of yamaha synths by replicating the functions of the custom chips...not a casual endeavor and the E70 is likely not much different in that respect. good luck and enjoy your E70

• Thank you very much for answering, this whole topic is very interesting, are there images and audios of some modified E-70s? Greetings.

Comment

• Hello to all who value these organs with PASS technology, I want to show you some videos that I uploaded to YouTube, I am experiencing new things with the E70, I would like to share them with you, I take this opportunity to thank Marc Brassé and Flametop Fred, thanks to them and to all Those who participated in this "thread" I am enjoying a lot with my Electone, it is a high quality instrument from which you can learn a lot. Greetings friends, I wait for any comment! any ideas!!! Thank you.

Comment

• https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cqkKZ5OqPfs#menu

Comment

• https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S7hf6G9x_4g

Comment

• https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TqP4pHQ5hLo

Comment

• Ewaves
                  Ewaves commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice sounds !!, but with all respects, with all these effects, you can even make the cheapest keyboard or organ sounds big, it does no right to the E70.

Another point, I read it a lot, is that people referring PASS to CS series.
                  It has nothing to do with CS.
                  PASS is just another word for some kind of DA conversion.
                  Let me explain,

In the seventies and before, people take playing home organs very serious, in a musical way, and Yamaha also to emulate acoustic instruments.
                  DA and AD conversion associate with, at that time, mostly data-logging in labs, not a very musical place, so the call it PULSE ANALOG SYNTHESIZING SYSTEM.
                  I Think for the same reasons the called there organs "Electone" instead of electronic organ, sounds also more musical.

Later on, until now, the manufacturers turns 180 decrees and praise there instrument for the electronically and technical highlights !!.

The only common with E50/E70 to CS is, they used the same VCA chips and nearly the VCF chips.
                  Last edited by Ewaves; 08-15-2020, 03:55 AM.

• Sorry, the above comment is nothing personal, I post it the wrong way.

Comment

• Hello Ewaves, you are right with what you say, but the Yamaha E70 has several advantages over any other old home organ, such as the vibrato on the keys or the dual axis pedal, volume and cutoff frequency, as well as the filters. that it shares with the CS series, in addition to some buttons and selectors. I know that the sound will never be the same as the CS series, but it is true that by making the modifications, they coincide in part of its structure. As for the effects and controls I've added, I think you deserve them, just like you would add them to a high-end vintage electric guitar, if you can improve your sound, welcome. Buying an Electone E70 to modify it and get a CS80 would be a mistake, because it has nothing to do with it, I realized quickly by watching videos, but it is still an interesting project to be able to modify it and make any kind of improvement. I wish I could add sensitivity to the keyboard, but doing that polyphonically would be crazy. I have programmed keyboard sounds for many years, and with this type of experiment I have learned things that I never imagined, also I have had a lot of fun, I know that the sound of the videos is mediocre, but what I can hear when I play the E70 connected to A decent team, I had not heard it in my life, I imagine how a CS80 must sound with good effects, well amplified and in good hands.
                  I also understand your opinion, but my idea is to have a good time and enjoy the instrument, and if I see another organ with these possibilities, I will surely end up buying it, and that a CS80 that I buy as well is not available. Greetings Ewave Thanks for your opinion!!! 😀

Comment

• That's what I mean with the advantages over any home organ, but a little to much effects to hear an E70 out of it to my taste, but it give a nice impression of how it can sound with some effects.
                    And yes, it can sound a bit like a CS80.

The difference in filter chips is that CS series have one input for voltage tracking from keyboard and a different one for control voltage ( ADSR, LFO ), but sound-wise the are the same I think, I have no CS device to compare, but I can measuring how good the E50/E70 filters are tracking.
                    But the big advance of CS80 are a ton of modulation possibility's ( key velocity, polyphonic after-touch, glide strip, modulations routings) and the VCO's, they will always give a slight Celeste to the sound because of inaccurate analog control.

For myself, I haven't done any mod on my E50, but I think to the end of the year I will look to the possibility of making midi to it, I have some ideas already, but only midi in for the moment.
                    I will used an Arduino for it, and a lot of Arduino's for other mods, I am a novice with it, but fortunately its open source so I can found a lot of examples online.
                    The big downside is, all the digital of the E50/E70 used negative 15V logic, so I have to make a lot of level-shifters for it, and the very tight timing of the design.
                    But first I have to confirm my Ideas with a Logic Analyser, I will place the results here.
                    Last edited by Ewaves; 08-22-2020, 08:47 AM.

Comment

• Hello, I understand you perfectly, at the moment I have tried to make a machine that creates "Pad" sounds in the videos you can see something, but nothing to do with what I hear playing live. I think that in general we are used to using a "Pad" sound to create a base, and nevertheless it seems to me that it would be good if the "Pad" sound varies in time modulating various parameters, it would be like giving that sound its own life , a whole song could be made simply with a "Pad" that you modulate. I have experimented with other sounds and I think interesting things can be done, but it will be better to do the modifications (shared by Marc Brassé) to have more control over the sounds, not only through filters, but also by separating the audio outputs. My idea from the beginning is to make these modifications, but at the moment I am moving in other ways, and with respect to varying the tone the only way I see is to do it with a multi-effects, and thus get deeper vibratos, vary the tone with a ribbon, etc. Regarding the controllers that I'm adding, I plan to control filter parameters with some of them, and also midi parameters. It would be ideal if the keyboards had sensitivity, I see it difficult, but failing that we have the double pedal, and polyphonic aftertouch would be very good, but at least adding the mono aftertouch, interesting things can be achieved.
                      In short, the important thing will be to modify it so that it behaves like a synthesizer, and until then all the merit of the sound will be from the E70 circuitry, but it is necessary to add a "Ring Modulator", a "Ribbon" and the maximum number of controls. in order to make up for a CS80's lack of keyboard control. I have many other ideas, one of them would be to be able to make user presets and store them, the ideal would be to do it with Arduino, but since I do not control the subject, I will do it with another technique that I know, but first I will investigate the sound as much as I can.
                      I would like to ask some questions to other owners of Electone E-70, I have doubts as to the behavior of the organ in certain circumstances and I would like to exchange impressions, I leave my email here in case someone can help me, greetings.

alelofe@hotmail.com

Comment

• When seeing and hearing your vids, you are on a very creative and experimental journey to create your sounds with a lot of fun and passion, just go on that way !!
                        I think its a good idea to ask your questions here, so other people can read it back if there organs will have the same behavior now or in the future.

Comment

• Hi, I have observed that on my Yamaha E70, when I pass the "Lower" sound to the keyboard above, I lower the "Upper" volume to hear only the "Lower" sound and I can see that if I change an "Upper" preset it varies. the "Lower" sound, that is, the "Lower" sound depends on the preset you have in "Upper". I think they should be independent.

Greetings.

Comment

Working...
                          X