Unlocking the Yamaha E70

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Alelandro

I also have some preset's from upper/lower that will not working good, sounds odd.
    But with a quick view in the schematics shows that they where selected with the same OR-gates as the octave switch, so there's a good chance there are also some broken gates in it.
    The 4000 Cmos series in this organ are all 1st. generation, so they are not buffered, they have less power to the outputs as the buffered once, but I don't care for the presets at the moment and will leave it this way.

Today I start with the analyses of the key-coder and the channel-processor, the heart of the digital system, and that will take a while.
    Luckily the card is placed on the end of the digital box, so I have the space to measure there, but even if the connectors in the box are the same, you cannot move a card of interest to the side of the box, they have fixed places, so for the other cards I have to find a solution.

Greetings
    Last edited by Ewaves; 10-29-2020, 01:54 PM.

Comment

• Hello Ewaves, what you are doing is very impressive, you can see that you have control over the situation. I hope you draw good conclusions soon and can share your research. Greetings.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Hello Waves,
        Today I have experimented with the arpeggiator and some effects, the result has been very good, as soon as I record something I will put the link here.

I have also separated the audio outputs. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201102_023347.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	304.8 KB
ID:	746279Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201102_023347.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	304.8 KB
ID:	746280

Tomorrow I'll make the supports to install the effects on the top.

I hope to hear from you, I am very interested in what you are doing.

Greetings.

- Alejandro.

Comment

• Wow, that looks very great, you are going fast !

I have analyses the key coding, but its a bit different as descripted in the Service Guide Analyses part 2 (without this guide I have no idea what's happening inside the special Yamaha parts)
          Click image for larger version  Name:	image_34234.jpg Views:	8 Size:	253.0 KB ID:	746315

This tells me, that all the keys that are played, are memorized into the CLP (Channel Processor), and if a key is released, it give the "SL command" only once (T x 8) to the CLP, so that the CLP will compare the pressed keys with his memory and remove the key that is released.

But the fact is, it sends the SL command repeatedly ( after 8 x the T timing ), even if no keys are pressed !!!
          Click image for larger version  Name:	image_34235.jpg Views:	6 Size:	314.1 KB ID:	746316
          Lab1 0 = T timing, dashed vertical lines startpoint of SL, Lab1 6 to 9 part of SL commando.

Even if 3 keys are pressed and hold, then you can see still the SL command after 8 x T (Lab1 0)
          Click image for larger version  Name:	image_34236.jpg Views:	6 Size:	327.2 KB ID:	746317

So this tells me, that every 8 x T time the whole memory of the CLP will be erased an after that will read the Key Scanner again.

That's not what I expected and have to think it over for another strategy.

In the meantime I will make some level shifters and try to poking around with the Arduino into the CLP to see what's possible.

Greetings
          Last edited by Ewaves; 11-02-2020, 11:29 AM.

Comment

• Hi Ewaves,

I am totally impressed with the analysis you are doing !!!
            I try to understand what you are saying in my own way ... I can get used to the idea, but it is an unknown terrain for me.

Are there possibilities that a tension can be memorized from a keyboard sensitive to each voice which is subsequently applied to each filter and thus be able to make a polyphonic sensitivity? (Surely he is saying a lot)

I have started watching videos about arduino, I think it can do good things in this project.

Hope you come to good conclusions soon.

A greeting

- Alejandro.

Comment

• Hello Ewaves, here are some links.

A greeting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbqsdJ-sIC8
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtYy3ykur9Q
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKCP0NHxmlY
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euKN-cbQsg0

Comment

• Nice work, you did a good job, sounds very good !!

Today when I woke up, I think I found the solution, now I have to work it out.

greetings

Comment

• Hi Ewaves,

I'm glad to read those words.

I hope you solve the riddle !!! You will tell me what that solution consists of ...

Tomorrow I will investigate some way to synchronize the time with the "Tap tempo" of the effects. It occurs to me to place an optocoupler instead of the led that marks the Tempo, and from there send a signal to the tap of one of the effects. Then I would synchronize via midi the others ...
                  The intention is to synchronize the speed of the delays with the arpeggiator and achieve various rhythmic combinations.

Greetings.

- Alejandro.

Comment

• Hi Ewaves,

I have already prepared the cabinet to place effects, I am testing with multi-effects that I have out there loose and I will be staying with those that I think are more appropriate.
                    I'll use the sampler to trigger rhythms and some effects.
                    Although my idea is to make a programmable drum machine at some point.

A greeting.

--Alejandro. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201105_230956.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	369.1 KB
ID:	746601

Comment

• Hello Ewaves, how are you doing with your research? A greeting.

Comment

• Hello, here I leave a link of a video with more quality,

greetings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31Tc3TnxCys

Comment

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li1UEVOqMVA

Comment

• Today I start with making a interface to the arduino, but had to repair a coffee machine in between, was a nice distraction, it sometimes dazzling in my head with
                            all the digital stuff.
                            Your vid is not online.
                            Yes, now its online, very nice, this organ have a lot of potential.

Greetings
                            Last edited by Ewaves; 11-11-2020, 04:58 AM.

Comment

• Hello Ewaves,

That's right, it has a lot of potential, and combining it with certain effects multiplies.

There are things in the arpeggiator that don't convince me, I hope that with your help we can modify them.
                              It would be nice if it covered the lowest octave, to be able to make bass bases.
                              I also see that when starting the rhythm is not stable, and when changing notes it can start in an unwanted octave.

I imagine that you could make a sequencer and control the Lower keys and the drum machine from there. Of course I also imagine that if you can decipher the theme of the midi, it could be done via midi.

I hope to read your comments more often !!!

A greeting!

- Alejandro.

Comment

• Hello Alejandro

Yes, there are possibility's, but for the moment I stick to the Midi, so not to distract myself, I see some other mod's that have to wait.
                                However, for the bass bases I think I have a simple solution, but not trying out yet.
                                The presets can also select an octave lower, but its not done in the lower keyboard voice's, so try it out.
                                On the preset pcb TPS2 there are some diode matrixes and the lower one you can select an 8' or a 16' ,one octave lower.
                                Don't now if you use Funny I or II, see schematic, I make a red circle so you can see witch diode you have to choose.
                                Unsolder one leg from the diode an see if its one octave lower, if yes, and you like it, you can place a switch on the front panel, see drawing left of the schematic's, or you can use the Neutral part of the arpeggio switch, so you have 16(N) 8 4 2, don't now if its free.
                                Good luck, let me now if it works, but I think so.

Greetings

Will not work, the above settings will be override by the arpeggio, shame.

Attached Files
                                Last edited by Ewaves; 11-12-2020, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X