No announcement yet.

Unlocking the Yamaha E70

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frank, in any of the three types of accompaniment you will see that the "orchestral arpeggio" does not appear to be a problem. For that you have to bridge a cable to ground, it is easy. What I would have liked to achieve is that Constan and Memory work with the arpeggiator, but after doing a lot of research, I could only do it in "Single Finger Chord" mode but in this mode you can only play 3 types of chords, it does not respect the arpeggio you want to do, but at least I managed to keep the arpeggio sounding when I released my hand. Besides having the "orchestra arpeggio" with the accompaniments, some new arpeggio rhythms emerge, since it mixes with the accompaniment, but for me they are not interesting. To play the arpeggio orchestra in the accompaniment, ground the light blue wire (SB) on the accompaniment selectors, ground (Bl12) is a thick black-white wire, with making a bridge.

Comment

• Comment

• Sorry I cut the message. As I said, to make the "arpeggiator orchestra" work with the accompaniment you have to make a bridge from the light blue cable (sb) to the ground (Bl12), which is a thick black-white cable. Regards.

Comment

• This is done with the arpeggiator !!!:->:->:->

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=unmZ9SnlAO4&t=8s

Comment

• Hello friends!

Excuse me,
            I am not a clock connoisseur !!! but as far as I know, all the devices have their clock, but they can be moved from another external clock, in this case from the "RD8" which in turn is controlled with the pulses that the E70 clock is actually generating, but It is true that once the speed of the RD8 clock is controlled, it will serve as a master to move all the other devices, in this case the control is via midi, it can be by optical fiber, by BNC cable, and apparently by other methods, but I think that having Rd8 under control, we have controlled timing. is that right?

A greeting!

- Alejandro.

Comment

• dr funk

" I'm not sure if I understand that question! MIDI note on/off and MIDI clock are two separate and independent things. MIDI note on/off does not require any timing information - in fact that's the beauty of MIDI. It's a simple instruction to turn a note ON, and then another instruction to turn that note OFF. "

Yes, that's the beauty of MIDI, but there will be always a small delay.
              Midisync. is for very critical timing purposes, I have a Yamaha HS6, and if I connect it to another one, where the rhythm must exactly start with that of the HS6, that's where its needed for, you will noticed it if it not start exactly at the same time. ( out of sync. )

But you are right, I have to focus me on the MIDI, I think next week I will have access to the organ again.

Alejandro
              Nice work with the optocoupler !!

Comment

• Originally posted by Alejandro View Post
                I am not a clock connoisseur !!! but as far as I know, all the devices have their clock, but they can be moved from another external clock, in this case from the "RD8" which in turn is controlled with the pulses that the E70 clock is actually generating, but It is true that once the speed of the RD8 clock is controlled, it will serve as a master to move all the other devices, in this case the control is via midi, it can be by optical fiber, by BNC cable, and apparently by other methods, but I think that having Rd8 under control, we have controlled timing. is that right?
                Yes, that's how it should work. It depends on the RD8, if it can receive sync pulses from the E70 and also transmit MIDI clock to other devices based on those pulses. I hope it can, but I had a look at the RD8 manual online, and it doesn't give much detail regarding sync options. I think you would have to experiment with the RD8 to find out. If it works, you might be able to control your DAW tempo from the E70 by sending MIDI clock from the RD8 to your MIDI interface and setting the DAW to external MIDI clock sync. It depends on your DAW and if it allows for external MIDI clock sync. That would be fun to see!

You can test if you have another drum machine or any hardware with MIDI and a sequencer (Roland 303 type of thing for example). Connect MIDI out from the RD8 to MIDI in on the other device, set the other device to external MIDI sync and see what happens! If it works, everything should follow the E70 tempo.

Frank
                Last edited by dr funk; 01-04-2021, 08:40 PM.
                Hammond C3 & Leslie 122, Yamaha E70, Lowrey MX1

Comment

• Hi Frank,

I was just working on how I think it works. Yesterday everything was synchronized via midi 😁😁... when moving the tempo of the E70 all the Tempos moved simultaneously instantly!

But I am thinking that the signal for the optocoupler instead of taking it from the led, you have to take it directly from the clock, so that it is always synchronizing, in this way the led has to light up and for that you have to activate the arpeggiator.

Greetings.

- Alejandro.

Comment

• I don't know if you understood me, yesterday by varying the tempo of the E70, the tempos of the PCM, TC Electronic, etc., were automatically synchronized, that is, the delay tempo was adapted as if using the TAP but without touching the buttons, as if by magic!:-):->

Comment

• I'm working with Marc Brasse on several things, one of them is shooting noise from keyboards. I mean the brush and cymbal (gray levers) that are triggered with Lower, accessed the board and modified a coil and a capacitor to output in a wide frequency range, also remove an electrolytic that is responsible for the "attack-release" at once. Now the next step is to control the door, the system it uses is to make a brief opening when pressing a key, I want it to remain open until the key is released. There is a transistor circuitry with which I did some tests but did not get anything. Could a solution be to send it directly (with a switch and the necessary components) to the 7 VCFs at the same time, so that it comes out when playing the keys together with the orchestra sound? Or am I saying the wrong things? That is, if the noise reaches 7 VCF, I suppose it will not come out until the EG act ... what do you think?
                      Greetings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alejandro View Post
                        I was just working on how I think it works. Yesterday everything was synchronized via midi 😁😁... when moving the tempo of the E70 all the Tempos moved simultaneously instantly!
                        Fantastic!! 😁😁 That's great news, Alejandro! So it is working as hoped, with the RD8 translating the pulses from the E70 into synchronised clock for everything else. 😀

Originally posted by Alejandro View Post
                        But I am thinking that the signal for the optocoupler instead of taking it from the led, you have to take it directly from the clock, so that it is always synchronizing, in this way the led has to light up and for that you have to activate the arpeggiator.
                        Hmm, I think this might be a much more complex puzzle to solve. It's beyond the scope of my limited knowledge of electronics. I have lots of 'ideas', but unfortunately I know very little about circuit design. Maybe Ewaves might have some ideas for you?

Frank

Comment

• Alejandro , could you take a photo of the optocoupler, and how you wired it from the LED to create the clock output to the RD8? It would be great to have that info available here on the thread. As I explained, I can follow instructions such as "solder pin 2 of A to pin 3 of B" etc, but I am having some difficulty trying to clearly understand Ewaves' original video with the optocoupler info.

I think it would be very helpful to have a photo with clear instructions for other E70 users to follow in the future.

Cheers!
                          Frank

Comment

• nAlejandro
                            That's one of the easy mods that I also have in mind, it will be relative easy to do, for all keyboards.

There are 3 white noise generators onboard, 2 analogs on the RS pcb ( Rhythm unit ), and one digital on the VCG pcb, who also output to conn. 52 on the RS pcb.
                            Now there a 2 important things we have to consider, because we have not all the electric specs from the VCF chips, and we don't want to destroy them.

We don't want to heavenly overload the input, and for Shure we don't want to put any DC voltage in it's analog input.

Luckily to block any DC voltage is easy, we put a small capacitor on the noise input, and to prevent overload we can measuring the existing output from the oscillators, and stay at the same or lower level.

For that the best thing we want to have is a scoop, or a good AC voltage multimeter.

Easiest way is to measuring on the input of the pedal VCF, because its fixed to channel 12, and so will always be there when we press a pedal, its ic8 from the VCF3 pcb.
                            Measuring AC voltage for and after the100k resistor with all waveforms on with different pedals pressed, first, middel and highest, and write values down, see drawing in red.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ic 8.jpg Views:	0 Size:	122.7 KB ID:	752214
                            And then look at the RS pcb, on the left there are 2 white noise generators, one with a regulated output.
                            Put first 1 pot in parallel with the 8.5k pot on the pcb, see drawing, and see if you have the same output level as after the capacitor on the VCF pcb on the red measuring point, you can measuring first on the existing pot on the pcb to see what level is already there. (put also a capacitor on its output, we only want to measure AC )

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ic 8.jpg Views:	0 Size:	122.7 KB ID:	752216

If that's oké we can place a pot and regulate to max, if level is to high we can make the resistor on VCF greater than 100k and if its lower we kan make the resister lower, but not lower than 39k, we will than have no channel separations between the VCF's.
                            We also check that by removing the input from oscillators on ic 8, make the mod also on ic1 and play some notes on lower or upper, close the volume from lower and upper, you must not here it by pressing on the pedals.
                            If all is oké, then we can place the mod on all inputs on VCF3 ( lower and pedals ) and VCF1 ( upper ) inputs, and place 3 pots on the noise, for every keyboard

If the noise output is way to low, we have to put an amp on the noise output, i hope you get the idea.
                            Sorry for the messy drawings 😉

Greetings
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Ewaves; 01-05-2021, 11:34 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dr funk View Post
                              Alejandro , could you take a photo of the optocoupler, and how you wired it from the LED to create the clock output to the RD8? It would be great to have that info available here on the thread. As I explained, I can follow instructions such as "solder pin 2 of A to pin 3 of B" etc, but I am having some difficulty trying to clearly understand Ewaves' original video with the optocoupler info.

I think it would be very helpful to have a photo with clear instructions for other E70 users to follow in the future.

Cheers!
                              Frank
                              Don't look at my video, I used a digital one, look at the link in the description, there is someone who made a tutorial of the project, very clear.
                              Last edited by Ewaves; 01-05-2021, 09:44 AM.

Comment

• Ewaves , this link?

https://www.noir.si/projects/yamaha_...standalone.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X