New Ringway Organs Demo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by musicmaker84 View Post
    Finally got around to listen to Allens` demos: have to respectfully disagree with Andy G. Allens seems to expect these Ringways to be high-end Lowrey successors. At least that is the way they spin it in the vids: for the contemporary home organist. Plus, Ringway seems to have integrated the flimsy Lowrey appregio keyboard sticker into the upper manual judging from Tom`s cymbal crush left hand swipe.

But it's stunning to see, nevertheless, the Chinese copying Japanese products when my neighbors Accura still looks like a Mercedes.
    No sticker, that’s an infrared sensor that detects movement similar to what was fitted on TOTL Ateliers and Pro Synths/Workstations.
    No fancy easy play features on the Ringway like you get on the Lowreys, plus there is no posh cabinet on the Ringways either.
    Ringway prices are similar to the old Lowrey entry level prices, so the Wersi are the Lowrey replacement price wise.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by seamaster View Post
      Here’s a question: for roughly the same money, top of the line Ringway or entry level Wersi?
      Neither, an entry level Bohm would be much better for most players. (However if you were a tech player than the Wersi would be the one to go for as it supports VSTs, which you would need as since the V2.00 update most of the on-board are naff)

Bill

Comment

Too risky with no B&M dealer in the UK.

If I was prepared to take a chance on buying an organ from overseas, it'd be a no-brainer: Stagea.
        Last edited by seamaster; 04-12-2020, 04:37 AM.

Comment

• Seahog
          Seahog commented
          Editing a comment
          Try Musicworld in Northampton for Böhm.

• seamaster
          seamaster commented
          Editing a comment
          I’d forgotten about them.

Apart from Yamaha, all the main organs available in the UK have a dealer in the UK, which is a positive; also I have not heard of any complaints from those that have imported a Yamaha via Taro Trade from Japan. (Be interesting to see what happens if a fault does occur though)

Bill

Comment

To pass a few moments in these troubled times, I've been pricing up an entry-level Böhm SE20.

£655 (€750) for the bench. ¡Ay caramba! 😮

And with that, as they used to say on Dragon's Den, "I'm out".

Comment

Originally posted by seamaster View Post
            To pass a few moments in these troubled times, I've been pricing up an entry-level Böhm SE20.

£655 (€750) for the bench. ¡Ay caramba! 😮

And with that, as they used to say on Dragon's Den, "I'm out".
            But you do get a handle to turn to adjust the height.😁

Bill

PS: You can save a few hundred if you buy the same version from Wersi, but I will stick with my thickly padded adjustable X-type which can be picked up for £50 or so.

Comment

At least Wersi include a matching bench. Making one a costly extra is a shabby trick.

Comment

• Claus
                Claus commented
                Editing a comment
                To produce a bench of this high quality completely in Germany costs much more than cheap ones from the Far East. But the customers expect the same high quality as for the organ cases. Cheaper is always possible, but is not always desired.

Allens have put specification sheets on their website for the Ringway organs

https://www.allensmusiccentre.co.uk/...rochure_UK.pdf

https://www.allensmusiccentre.co.uk/...rochure_UK.pdf

Comment

Interesting specs. How do the hobby players feel about just 2 style variations?

Comment

Originally posted by musicmaker84 View Post
                  Interesting specs. How do the hobby players feel about just 2 style variations?
                  It does seem a tad basic compared to the usual 4 variations, several fills and 2 or 3 intros and endings that is the norm these days.
                  The styles are also not editable, apart from changing the sounds and volumes etc in the backings.
                  The spec seems to be very similar on both models, they both have fewer voices and rhythms compared to the RS1000EU that Musictraders sold, and the spec for the RS800 is identical on paper to the version sold in Australia and Malaysia for much less money.
                  The RS800 is roughly £5000 in Australia allowing for 20% VAT.
                  Last edited by gregp; 04-25-2020, 03:45 PM.

Comment

I linked somewhere to the RS400 selling for under EUR 2000 in Poland. I would find the limited variations , intros, endings and fills acceptable on this very cheap entry level model, but not on the 800/1000.

And of course, if one were to play in the very traditional way, not necessarily needed, but if kids interested in "arrangers" were seated at this organ, chances are they find it lacking and dull in comparison. Don't know what the philosophy behind these limitations are other than saving in the $$$ department. Then again, I haven't checked the Stagea side of things.

Edit: Just looked it up myself: The ELS 02 features: Intro(1 - 3), Ending(1 - 3), Main/Fill-in (A - D), Break, Auto Fill
                    Last edited by musicmaker84; 04-25-2020, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Keyboard Cavalcade have available a free pdf sample of their March/April 2020 magazine which features a review of the Ringway RS800, I have placed the link below.

http://www.cavalcadeproductions.co.uk/index.htm

Enjoy

Bill

Comment

• musicmaker84
                        musicmaker84 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks for the link. I was under the impression the magazine had ceased to exist. Regarding the RS800, if Peter Hayward's vids resemble what a Ringway can do, then there are pretty organ flutes and organ mixtures to be had, but it is a bummer that it is rather limited in that department.

Also, I would have loved for the author to compare it to the Stagea to see where they share common ground and how they differ. Too many people might just mistake it for a cheaper Stagea clone (is it one? why or why not?).

• gregp
                        gregp commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The RS600 Peter Hayward uses had many additional Orla organ sounds added....as did the RS1000EU, but it appears that The RS800 and A2000 only have the standard Ringway organ sounds.
                        I've played an RS600 and the main issue with the organ sounds is that the tremolo is set. There is no fast/slow control, and I don't think the larger models have it either.
                        One other big issue I found is the D button for locking the rhythm and accompaniment (so it stays the same when you change presets) also locks the sounds and volumes of the LM and pedals, so every preset then has the same LM and pedal sound. I wonder if that's the same on these models.
                        Last edited by gregp; 05-06-2020, 06:15 PM.

• musicmaker84
                        musicmaker84 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        This question should be allowed: why doesn't Allen provide additional sounds/voices/registrations to give it the Orla touch? Sample banks with theatre organ sounds, etc. are widely available and could be adapted to suit taste and be more in line with the Orla Ringway experience.

Originally posted by abacus View Post
                      Keyboard Cavalcade have available a free pdf sample of their March/April 2020 magazine which features a review of the Ringway RS800, I have placed the link below.

http://www.cavalcadeproductions.co.uk/index.htm

Enjoy

Bill
                      Great that Michael Wooldridge has taken over Keyboard Cavalcade, I hope he can keep it going.

Comment

I see there's mention of a new entry level model in that article. Perhaps they haven't abandoned the £1999 sweet spot after all.

Comment

• seamaster
                          seamaster commented
                          Editing a comment
                          That organ will be less than £500 at the Chinese factory gate. Fact.

• musicmaker84
                          musicmaker84 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The RS 400 fills or used to fill this price range. From the various vids scattered around the web, it is probably a neat little organ but a mediocre arranger keyboard (limited variations, etc.)

Hayward’s RS has stood the test of time quality wise.

• seamaster
                          seamaster commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I'm assuming this new RS760 is the replacement for the RS400, hence my punt on the price.

Comment

• musicmaker84
                          musicmaker84 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Actually, I liked the 400 or 600 and similar better design wise.
                      Working...
                      X