Bohm symphonie 500 (not sempra)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Guys

i know the majority of these organs do organ sounds well, but I’m more concerned with how realistic the orchestral sounds, strings, voices, saxes etc are on this a Bohm. I feel the Lowrey are a bit lacking compared to the Yamaha on the latest models

How good are this Bohms please?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Zenithporsche View Post
      Hi Guys

i know the majority of these organs do organ sounds well, but I’m more concerned with how realistic the orchestral sounds, strings, voices, saxes etc are on this a Bohm. I feel the Lowrey are a bit lacking compared to the Yamaha on the latest models

How good are this Bohms please?

Thanks
      If you like the StageA voices (Which are voiced for the Asian market) then you may find the western voicing of most instruments in the west to be a bit dull, (Yamahas sold in the West were revoiced to give a more western balanced sound) however if you compare them to the real instruments they tend to sound more balanced and realistic (Not so in your face) then Asian voiced models.
      In the end it comes down to personal preference, so have a listen on YouTube at all the various instruments which should give you an idea but only with a personal demonstration will you know for sure. (Nobody else can say whether you will like them except you)

Bill

Comment

Every make and model of every instrument has a different sound. My son is a professional trumpeter and his trumpets are set up for him. On early instruments you chose the saxophone. On my Bohm I have about 60 to choose from and each one of those can be modified in any way you can imagine. They all sound real but the version of real depends on you and what you are playing. You will be aware that there are those who are more concerned about cost and residuals and perhaps they need to be. Playing the organ is my interest and I buy one to enjoy it for as long as I am able to and it is fair to say that my Bohm Sinfonia 500 (now Sempra) is worth every penny because, to my knowledge, it is beyond compare and although it is irrelevant, has far better residuals than any bottle of single malt or foreign holiday. Sit down and play a church organ setting on any organ and listen to the stereo image. Do the individual stops have a stereo position or do they have a stereo image so that each pipe plays from its own position? The Bohm is supported by an English Speaking Bohm Organ Owners Group on Facebook and the technical support available from Claus is usually instant.

Comment

Every make and model of every instrument has a different sound. My son is a professional trumpeter and his trumpets are set up for him. On early instruments you chose the saxophone. On my Bohm I have about 60 to choose from and each one of those can be modified in any way you can imagine. They all sound real but the version of real depends on you and what you are playing. You will be aware that there are those who are more concerned about cost and residuals and perhaps they need to be. Playing the organ is my interest and I buy one to enjoy it for as long as I am able to and it is fair to say that My Bohm Sinfonia 500 (now Sempra) is worth every penny because to my knowledge it is beyond compare and with far better residuals than any bottle of single malt or foreign holiday. Sit down and play a church organ setting on any organ and listen to the stereo image. Do the individualstops have a stereo position or do they have a stereo image so that each pipe plays from its own position? The Bohm is supported by an English Speaking Bohm Users Group of Facebook

Comment

How old is you 500. I’m presuming it is the pre Sempra model?

have you had any reliability issues?

thanks

Comment

My Sinfonia was originally sold by the UK dealers MusicWorld in Northampton (10+ years ago) and then it was traded in with them for a three manual Emporio. MusicWorld decided to keep it as their demonstrator and it was taken around all of the feativals for some years. I bought it when Paul Carmen took over the Bohm dealership so that will be about four years ago and I have since had it upgraded to Sempra. I have had some issues of my own making as I have learned how to use the instrument but the Bohm service is unbelievably good and a quick message or Skype soon has everything back in order. I recently changed the potentiometer on the swell pedal because after about ten years it had developed a flat spot. Being a Bohm it was possible to adjust the settings to avoid this until it was changed. Mechanically/electrically they are high quality but you do have to learn the operating system to get the best out of them but there are other users who are happy to help. You do not mention your location.

Comment

I understand that the previous owner of the Sinfonia at Allens has moved to a smaller property, but has chosen a Wersi instead of a Sempra. I have been told more than once by experienced players that the Bohm OS is difficult to get to grips with but if you are prepared to put in the time is very rewarding. Depends whether you want to spend time playing or programming I suppose

Comment

Hi Guys

Firstly I’m in Norfolk UK

I love putting in the time for arrangements of my own.....the more realistic the better, especially big orchestral sounds. I think these days there are too many playing aids on the organs, which almost takes over from you having to do the work. People seem to just want to sit down and play, meaning that the potential of what they are sitting at is never realised. Still can’t get over people who buy organs and then say they never use a pedalboard, surely you should then by a keyboard set up.

My concerns on reliability is that had major issues with the first Sonic Wersi. I had both a 500 sonic and I upgraded my Louvre to the sonic. The Louvre was great, but the 500 had no end of software issues.

From reading between the lines it seems to me that the Bohms are reliable and well built, but probably most of the issues are created by the operator in my opinion.

Cheers

Comment

• Puddleduck
                    Puddleduck commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Zenith, I have sent you a PM.

• musicmaker84
                    musicmaker84 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Don’t tell this Hammond players who only play bass lines on the keys rather than the pedals 😂.

Seriously, I cannot help with your decision for or against the Berm, but reading between lines on here and elsewhere (as well as having seen several vids), the organ can probably do what you want it to do, but I doubt they are superior to Wersis although Claus et al like to think so.

This may help for sound comparisons, they are played by David Gilson https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC41...esa2rtw/videos with the first 5 featuring the Sempra and the rest the previous version going back 5 years.
                  Enjoy

Bill

Comment

ZenithePorche,

The advertisement for the Bohm Sinfonia 500 has been removed from Allen's website. Did you buy it?

Comment

Originally posted by seamaster View Post
                      Magnificent organ, but my view of Böhm (at least, prior the Sempra range) is that they're rather more impressive to see than to hear. I shudder to think of the haircut the previous owner's taken on it.
                      Speaking of haircuts, has anyone else clocked the Wersi Purgatory on the 'Bay failing to find friends at £15K (#124192404256)?

Ouch.

Comment

Can't comment on the price but the conditions of sale aren't exactly encouraging - personal collection only, no couriers. How many people can/want to cope with that for an organ of that size?

I don't think abacus would like the software.
                        Previous: Elka Crescendo 303, Technics G7, Yamaha EL-90
                        Current: Yamaha AR-100

Comment

The Böhm Overture has some very good warm sounds. The cabinets are superb, they are very well made and reliable. However, I think the technology is old. The sounds are not up to date, I may be wrong but I assume that other than the real organ drawbars the sounds are more or less the same as Overture. Compared to a Wersi OAX or Yamaha Stagea these are old. Certainly not worth thevkind of money Böhm thinks they are worth. Good organs, great people, but its time to modernise.

Comment

• abacus
                            abacus commented
                            Editing a comment
                            If you are talking about the original overture then the sound engine comes from the early 2000s, (OAS & original StageA vintage) however if you are talking about a Sempra version of the overture (Which is now called the Sempra SE20) then it has the most modern sound engine from any manufacture.

Bill

• musicmaker84
                            musicmaker84 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            It's worth what people are willing to pay and Böhm staying afloat and in business. If it's worth YOUR money or mine, is a different question. But as long as there is the equally or more expensive Nomore, and RINGWAY looking to up their game and asking for north of $6000 for an inferior product, the $8000 list price for an entry Böhm or Wersi is more palatable.

Of course, if we believe the Böhm guys, nothing comes close to their organs, but after careful consideration, I don't believe their organ products are superior to WERSI et al, from my point of view.

If I had to decide between Wersi or Böhm, even with the OAX 2.0 update, I would rather buy a Wersi.

Yes, Im surprised the Pergamon is still for sale. Wrll worth £15k

Comment

• seamaster
                            seamaster commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Eh? A Louvre and a Purgatory are virtually identical.

• abacus
                            abacus commented
                            Editing a comment
                            The Louvre layout (Like the Bohm SE100/Emporio) is nicely symmetrical, whereas the Pergamaon is not; hence it looks like a pig’s ear in comparison. (I never get on with things that aren’t reasonably symmetrically)

Bill

• seamaster
                            seamaster commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Says a lot about you, that, Bill son.

Are far as I am aware Bill, the Amadeus sound engine in the Sempra is more or less the same sound engine that was in Overtures from about 2015. So other than the operating system screen plus the Real organ module not much else has changed.

Comment

• abacus
                            abacus commented
                            Editing a comment
                            The Sempra models use the 2nd generation Amadeus sound engine, just like the latest StageA is a 2nd generation of the original, (But is still a number of years old) the Wersi OAX sound engine is also a number of years old, but was modified by Wersi with the V2.00 update. (This is why I would no longer buy an OAX instrument)
                            BTW: Unless it says Amadeus on the Overture then it will still be using the sound engine based on a modified Opera Max system.

Bill
                        Working...
                        X