Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrading the sound on a Roland AT-900C.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading the sound on a Roland AT-900C.

Hello, im sure its been mentioned before somewhere regarding the sound from the AT-900C.
    I have a AT-900C complete with ATUP-EX.
    I'm finding that the sound is a little week in quality compared to the sound from the head phones.
    I know that the non C models have 11 speaker and I only have 6, but I bought the C because the price was right and I was to excited not to
    What is the best way to get the sound how i want it and 'In ya face'?
    In my set up (behind a sofa) I think that anything with just speakers below is ok for the knees but not for my ears.
    I have noticed in the user manual that there is multiple ways to output the sound but has anyone experimented with any?
    I'm kind of leaning towards the simple L/Mono R outputs but before i start playing and maybe shelling out on more gear I would seek advice.
    I could split the sound up between drums and bass, but not sure of advantage for the gear needed to do it. i would prefer the organ to control the mix rather that a mixing desk?
    Ideally 2 speakers up top either on the organ or behind, or 4 speakers front and back.
    It's clarity of sound that im looking for and not volume.
    Best regards
    Warren.
    Last edited by Warrentdo; 05-17-2020, 12:28 AM.

Hi Warren

i had both the 900C and the 900 with speaker cabinet and both upgraded. I found exactly what you are saying.

The best way I got round it with the 900C was to attach 2 good near field monitors to the left and right outputs and then shut off the speakers of the organ either by using a blanking piece in the earphone socket or from memory you could close the speakers down in the menu

The best near field monitor speakers I’ve used are Adam X7, not cheap but fantastic clear sound and can handle the base end of the organs without problems

Hope this helps

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Zenithporsche View Post
      Hi Warren

The best near field monitor speakers I’ve used are Adam X7, not cheap but fantastic clear sound and can handle the base end of the organs without problems

Mark
      Thank you for that. the Adam X7 do get very very good reviews. I do have some Celestion Impact 15 but compared to the X7 the top ends are a little low at 49 Hz - 22 kHz

Comment

Can't really add any more to that! A decent set of near fields should do the trick. Find a set that's a) capable of handling the bass that you might throw at them, b) that you like the overall sound of (not so easy to go and audition them at the moment and a reviewer's opinion is just that, their opinion) and finally c) comes in at a price that's OK for you.

All bar one of my AT900 owning students all compared the 900C with the 900 console and all said the same thing, the 900C didn't have the sound quality of the 900, so they bought the console version. Actually, there was one who did buy the 900C, but he was an odd guy. All he'd use was piano upper, piano lower and he never played the pedals. He didn't want to practise or learn to really use the organ, so there was nothing I could do for him. What a waste of an organ!
        It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
        Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
        Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
        Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Hello all, Any thoughts on the package Adam Audio T7V Studio Monitors with T10S Subwoofer? I will check the specs out tommorow.
          Warren.

Comment

Hi Warren, I looked at the Adam A7X speakers for my Wersi Sonic, and decided that they definitely needed a sub-woofer, however I eventually purchased a pair of Adam A8X and they do not need a sub-woofer, so if aesthetics, wires and space matter, you may want to look at those too. I have had mine for 3 years now, and not regretted it for a second. I am running them at just half volume, which is still loud - if I go max volume it shakes the whole house, but still no distortion or anything like that. Mine are sat on metal stands with a layer of foam isolation - perfect for what I wanted.

thanks
            Mark
            Current Organ: Wersi Sonic OAX800
            Previous Organs: Wersi Verona, Wersi Beta DX401, Yamaha FE-70, Yamaha B-75N
            Previous Other: Wersi MAX-1, Wersi OX7, Korg N5, Yamaha DX27

Comment

I would love the A7X or ideally the big brother A8X. I'm trying to get a cheaper compromise and I've been having a serious look at krk rokit 8 g4. I know you get what you pay for but they seem to get good reviews? Any thoughts?

Regards
              Warren.

Comment

Hi Warren,

I looked at everything at the time up to about £1500, and for what I wanted with the Wersi AND my personal taste, the Adam A8X was best for me. Everyone has different requirements and hearing, and therefore my only recommendation would be to hear before you buy - luckily dv247 sell both Wersi and Adam speakers (as well as other speakers) so very accommodating with me trying things out. Some speakers I tried were dead pan, flat or too bright to my ears, and I found the Adam’s closest to both what I heard through headphones and my posts on YouTube - which are recorded internally and not via the speakers. The sound from the internal Wersi speakers did not sound anything like what I recorded, thus making it very difficult to set up.

Botton line, you need to listen and be happy with the sound, as the sound will be there long after you have forgotten how much they cost.

Thanks
                Mark
                Current Organ: Wersi Sonic OAX800
                Previous Organs: Wersi Verona, Wersi Beta DX401, Yamaha FE-70, Yamaha B-75N
                Previous Other: Wersi MAX-1, Wersi OX7, Korg N5, Yamaha DX27

Comment

Your right. i need to try before I buy, i will check gear4music (localish) to see if they can set something up. thank you for your help.

Comment

Working...
                  X