No announcement yet.

Brazilian Organ (Minami) + Recording using both a line out and its own speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brazilian Organ (Minami) + Recording using both a line out and its own speakers

Hello, people!
    My name is Mariano and this is my first post.
    I'm a drummer/percussionist by trade, and play guitars (bass, acoustic and electric).

Keys are something relatively new to me (4 years) - but it's been a transcendental experience,
    since I already came out of the factory with good hand independence, and it's like you have a hand in each finger to create rhythmical patterns...

Anyways, I recently bought this 80's Brazilian organ, Minami, and I'm doing this whole makeshift thing to extract a line out of the phones input (the big one, regular guitar/amp plug, don't know how you call it, we call it P10 in Brazil), out to my cellphone with a regular phone plug (P2), using an extra P2 out to monitor myself through phones.
    There's a level of feedback which seems to be generated by the plug, but when I'm playing it's not loud enough to hear.

Also, when I insert the P10/P2 adapter all the way, it doesn't make a sound (or it's mono on the phone) - I need to remove it a little so it's stereo on the phone (the recording plays on both sides, but i don't know if that's 'true' stereo or mono, but not on only one side.

My question is - is there a way to use the phones out to extract the sound WHILE using its own in-built speakers? They sound awesome!
    There are aux in and out plugs, but these are a different type of cable (it seems to be what we call RCA, the ones used for DVDs or a PS1, audio/video), and as soon as the tip of the cable touches the plug it starts making so much static noise... It didn't seem to work, to be extracting sound... Plus, the aux in plug seems to have something broken inside, like the tiny metal cover of the cable, you know?

Some drawbars (not many) and the pedals seem to generate that dirty-not-used crunchy sounds when you press them sometimes, and some flat/sharp keys seem to need a little more strenght to play - I cleaned everything with a thin brush and vacuum-cleaned it. I was thinking about cleaning everything (including the plugs) with 99% isopropyl alcohol, is it a good idea?

Finally - the expression pedal.
    There's a wire which goes inside it, to power it up (I guess), it came out during transport, and when I arrived, I pushed it inside - it worked, and the expression pedal increased/decreased the sound as it should,but the volume even on the top was not so loud. One day I hit the wire accidently and it went more inside - the sound was super loud (and good - it sounded more like I felt it should in terms of sheer volume and presence, sounding stil balanced but loud on 3/8 of the drawbar, but now, the expression pedal doesn't change anything... so I'm confused if it's likely a fortunate 'wrong' way of using it.

I really like to play the arpeggio keyboard with both hands, muting the beat and just manipulating the arpeggio patern by improvising over it.
    I'm really interested in the work of seminal African synth/organ masters, like Mammane Sani and Hailu Mergia, so if anyone likes this kind of sound, hit me up!

I'l upload some photos just so you understand everything.
    I'm also uploading a one minute take on a little theme of mine, so you can hear how the improptu recording device rolls (and tell me if you think it can sound better)

Sorry for the long take, I'm just excited of being part of this heheheh

Cheers from Brazil!
    Attached Files

Unplug the headphones so the speakers work, then fix and use the Aux Out socket and a suitable lead. There really isn't much that can go wrong with an RCA phono socket, a dry soldered joint perhaps.

It would be a lot easier than messing around trying to do what you want, which would probably involve modifying the headphones socket so that inserting the plug does not mute the speakers.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
    Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Welcome Mariano. Fascinating to see that old Brazilian organ. We’ve discussed the Brazilian organ makers a few times on here over the years, some of whom are still going it seems? Is the hobby still popular there?

Comment

Current model from one of their largest brands?

Comment

And judging by their YouTube channel, there seems to be quite a market for these organs in liturgical contexts.

Comment

We've chatted about these before.

The MD-750 Gold model, described as "the most complete organ in Brazil", so I assume the top of the line, retails in Brazil for a lot less than £2K (I found one on sale over there for around £1700). It looks like it would make a spiffing cheap home organ here with drawbars and what appears to be a high quality cabinet in a choice of finishes. Certainly a more compelling proposition than those awful, underspec-ed and overpriced Chinese "Esteys".

I think zombie-Lowrey has backed the wrong horse.

Comment

They have different top of the line models it seems as their channel reveals.

All that is needed is a Brazilian Taro Trade. Anyone?

Comment

A bit more than 2000 pounds these days, suggested retail price. Not bad. Probably the Ringway/Orla 400 is better voiced, but lacks the drawbars.

Comment

Looks like the "Concert" is the real top - it has a pedalboard.

http://www.tokai.com.br/orgaos-eletronicos.php
                  -- I'm Lamar -- Allen TC-4 Classic project, 1899 Kimball project
                  -- 5 melodicas, Rodgers W5000, RD300NX, Juno DS-61/88, FA-06 - Conn 643 - Hammond M3 - Hauptwerk
                  -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Comment

The Concert is more or less the same price.

Comment

From what I can make out that’s a “clonewheel” type organ, and doesn’t appear to have any other voicing/automatics/etc?

Comment

The only thing that worries me, having waded through the specs and attempted to translate (my Portuguese is very rusty) is that I see the 128 number in the orchestral voices section. That instantly rings alarm bells about the basic low quality GM soundset.

The Concert does indeed appear to be a clonewheel, so the MD-750 Gold is 'the most complete'.
                        It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
                        Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
                        Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
                        Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

I listend to some of the YT videos... Hm, many are rather under-whelming, with mostly 1980s home organ flute vibrato sounds. These seem to be the stored presets. But it seems it has a decent Leslie sim (but no way sounding like a clonewheel), decent classic organ sound and strings...

Drawbars
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-LJpK_j5B4
                          Church
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NPv-VM0Bwo
                          Strings like
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjY6OOed8xU
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFWtwP4RhjE

Better than a Ringway for the price? Not really sure... Better than the „so called“ Estey „organs“? Yes!

Playing Hammond Aurora Classic, Technics GA3, Roland G800 & AT500.

Comment

Interesting that all the panel labelling is in English, suggesting some export ambitions?

Comment

That shiny black finish looks like craftsmanship. OT, but I've recently got an 88-key Roland synth that has 1500 voices built in with USB expansion. It's an experience learning about it, but it's easy to play it (and get sounds from it) through MIDI from my Roland piano. I got so enthused that I also bought the 61-key version, which has the "synth" keyset, to use as a portable organ AND to hook up to my Rodgers W5000. The music world is moving on whether I'm ready or not. These say "General Midi 2" on them.

Still, it's nice to see a full line of organ models being offered. I look at them and think about how stark the last little Roland models looked.
                              -- I'm Lamar -- Allen TC-4 Classic project, 1899 Kimball project
                              -- 5 melodicas, Rodgers W5000, RD300NX, Juno DS-61/88, FA-06 - Conn 643 - Hammond M3 - Hauptwerk
                              -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Comment

Working...
                              X