T.T.T. V3 organ in a box unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T.T.T. V3 organ in a box unit

This is a very long shot but I wondered if anyone is using one of these, great sounds, but originally designed just for Yamaha keyboards, I managed to get one working ( with a lot of help from the makers with a Ringway 1000e) I changed to a Roland AT 900c and of course the unit will no longer work , it has different midi settings, the suppliers are looking into it but I think it is new territory even for them, meanwhile they have updated it for me to the latest specs but I wondered if anyone has one of these units ( a pair of units actually ) and is using them with a Roland organ, mine has midi setttings as the seller/manufacturer specifies for a Roland. but I wanted to find someone who would tell me what midi channel setting they are using as a check. many thanks if someone has a unit and can supply the answer. Ken

Do you know what channels the 'box' receives its MIDI signals on? Should be in the blurb somewhere. If so, there's no problem getting the AT900 to match. But the MIDI settings are not global 'set and forget' on the Roland. Instead, they are set into the presets as you save them. My default (and most 'boxes' and virtual organs) are 1-upper, 2-lower, 3-pedal and 4-solo.

Just make sure you haven't made the most common MIDI error (and we have ALL done it!) of plugging the MIDI lead into the wrong socket! As always, MIDI Out from the organ goes to MIDI In on the box, and the audio L+R go to the auxiliary inputs on the organ. And you'll need to make sure that the expression pedal is sending its CC11 controller messages on the channel that the box is expecting them, or you won't have any control over the box's expression and dynamics.

The only issue with Roland is that it doesn't send much in the way of MIDI messages to change sounds. At best, you'll be able to assign any preset combinations in the box to the 12 presets on the organ. At worst, you'll be registering the box manually as you play.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
    Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Thanks andyg that confirms what I suspected, the suppliers did in fact give me some help but not the detail you have supplied on the Roland and in particular the expression pedal. And yes I have already fallen into the trap of using the wrong sockets! I also was in a mess with the channel settings for some time because whoever had used the organ previously had left it O K I think, but I went and bought a commercial U S B Roland registration stick and they had entirely different midi settings for transmtting ! I have now got things sorted and have in fact saved one registration to memory with the correct midi setting s and the voices all muted so if I put in another USB and it alters things I can re set quickly.

But in passing the T T T unit has an encoder to change the registrations and also to alter the voice settings in almost every way, each registration ( they call scenes) for is divided into 8 "M" sections and each section has four pages with 8 features on each page so there are a lot of things to adjust if you wish, but in itself a very steep learning curve even just to find which page covers what you are wanting to adjust. Ken.

Comment

That's good news and you've done the same as me. I have a preset bank called 'Miditzer' (one of the virtual organs I can use) and the channelling on Preset #1 matches what Miditzer, Hauptwerk, B-4 and VB-3 expect to find. I can then build up registrations from that one initial preset that either use the virtual organ alone or in combination with the Roland's voices (you need very low audio latency for that last trick to work well!)
        It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
        Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
        Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Hi Ken, I use the V3 with a Roland at80sl. I had many issues at the beginning connecting to the Rolan. I remember having to alter the midi channels on my Roland & I then saved that patch to disk and then load it up when wanting to use V3.
          I 'd previously had a Yamaha el900 organ, so I had to send back the midi processor box to get it reconfigured otherwise the expression pedal for example wouldn't work with the V3 & possibly other functions if I remember rightly.
          Incidentally, I phoned T.T.T. up recently as I couldn't get the 'Big Band' registration voices to 'pitch bend' and thought it maybe due to something I'd need to alter on the V3 but it wasn't. After looking at the manual, it seems the AT80SL doesn't send midi messages for pitch bend which is a pain. I don't know if this is the same for the at800/900 models. Maybe Andy could confirm on this.

Comment

I'd have to look at the MIDI implementation chart in the manual. It's in the organ bench and the cat has settled there for the night! I'll have a look in the morning.

Comment

Working...
            X