This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Key Contact Cleaning on a Wurlitzer 4100

Yesterday I brought home a '59-'60 Wurlitzer 4100A spinet with a model 300 rotary tone cabinet. It's in living room condition, dusty but near perfect. It's got a wonderful tone and with some exercising is starting to sound less strangled. Can anyone who's familiar with Wurlitzer advise me on how to reach the key contacts (down to the lower manual) for cleaning?</P>

Regarding the model 300 rotary tone cabinet,I'm curious as to the purpose of the piston-like assembly which seems to move a metal rod in and out of what looks to be a magnetic coil. I'd have to agree with other's opinions that the sound is under-whelming from this wanna-be Leslie, but it's interesting how it works, at any rate.</P>

I'll try to post photos later. Thanks in advance for any information about how to get down to the lower manual.</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

John</P>

Re: Key Contact Cleaning on a Wurlitzer 4100

Check under the deck holding the keyboards. Most of the old spinets have the keyboards held in place by screws or lockbolts that are removed on the underside. If you are lucky, both keyboards will be on hinges and lift up.

Comment

Re: Key Contact Cleaning on a Wurlitzer 4100

Thanks. I figured it out, I believe. This 4100 is a lot more "service-friendly" than I originally thought. It does, however, seem a lot less powerful than my Hammond M-143 with its 25-watt amp. Does anyone have an idea of what wattage the 4100 series amp is supposed to produce? I suppose I should blow the dust off the tube tester and see what's what. Maybe it's just me, expecting more than the amp is designed for. I can just imagine what this thing would sound like through a 145!</P>

I find it amazing that there is so little information about Wurlitzer's electronic organs on the 'net. Even Kimball has a Yahoo Group. About the only reference I find is to Morelock's Organs in Rienzi, Miss'sippi, just down the road a piece from Corinth, where Wurlitzer built the 4100's. This organ has Corinth, MS all over it. These folks were obviously proud of their work and the quality of their craftsmanship is apparent 50 years later. This is a nice little instrument; very different from my Hammond, but I like what I've heard so far.</P>

Comment

Working...
      X