This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suffering from ODC

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"><I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"><U><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">ODC= Organ Desire Cycles<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></U>[/I][/B]</P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"><o:p><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3></FONT></o:p>[/I]</P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Does anyone out there suffer from <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">ODC[/B]?<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>I certainly do. There are days when I just can’t get myself motivated to get near any keyboard and then there are days when I just can’t get away from them. This does not detract from my love for the old girls.<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>[/I]</P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"><o:p><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3></FONT></o:p>[/I]</P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">How do professionals like Andy manage? I am sure this is not unique to me. Let me hear it.<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>[/I]</P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Cheers,<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>[/I]</P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Skippy<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>[/I]</P>
    AS FAR AS ORGANS ARE CONCERNED - I'M A GOOD MECHANIC AND A HOPELESS DRIVER.
    Hammond C3 & M102 & Elegante & PR40. Yamaha D85 & D65 & FS30 & MC600 & GX76. Thomas Celebrity Royale 871, Kawai T5 & E550, Conn 643 & 632 & 552.Lowrey H25R2. Elka EP12. Orla D6180, Wurlitzer 4430 & Omni 7000 & 555. Roland D70 & RA90 . Ferrofish B4000+. Leslie 145 & 705 & 710 & 720

Re: Suffering from ODC

yeah i know what you mean. same thing happens to anyone who plays an instrument for a hobby. just try to do other things for a while until you can't stand to be away from the keys a moment longer</p>

</p>

Comment

I think that might be some of the cause of me having a handful of organs around the house. Some days I can sit down at one of them and it seems like magic (to me anyway). Everything seems to be working right, expressive playing, nice registration, no shortage of the next song to play. Other days is completely the reverse. That's when I usually try and sit down at a different instrument or if the playing really isn't working I just spend some time fixing or trying to improve something (speaker placements, speaker types, voicing, etc.). As you probably know with a number of instruments around there's always something that needs doing. I've also found that really working hard to learn some new pieces instead of just sitting down and having a good time renews my interest.
      </p>

I have got myself into a routine of playing most every morning for at least an hour while enjoying a cup of coffee and the quiet before the rest of the household is up and running. I'm lucky since I work primarily at my home office so the time I used to spend commuting I can spend playing.
      </p>

If all else fails there's always some other unfinished non-organ project around the house :^)</p>

</p>
      Gary

Current: Rodgers 340 "Special", Gulbransen Rialto K (Both Versions), Allen Theatre Deluxe, Rodgers Olympic 333, Roland Atelier AT70 (I hope)
      History: Rodgers 321B, Rodgers 740B, Gulbransen Theatrum, Hammond H-133, Thomas Malibu, Heathkit/Thomas Paramount

Comment

Guys,</P>

I am the same way. Sometimes I will play and play some more. However, mostly I just get on here, and chat about organs as well as wish for something else I would like to have.</P>

Skippy, I think the best you have is the Lowrey.</P>

Hopefully, you can find a good Wurlitzer you will enjoy.</P>

James</P>
        Baldwin Church Organ Model 48C
        Baldwin Spinet 58R
        Lowrey Spinet SCL
        Wurlitzer 4100A
        Crown Pump Organ by Geo. P. Bent, Chicago, Illinois

Organs I hope to obtain in the future:

Conn Tube Minuet or Caprice even a transistor Caprice with the color coded tabs
        Gulbransen H3 or G3, or V.
        Wurlitzer 44, 4410, 4420, ES Reed Models, 4300, 4500, Transistor Models

Comment

Gary.</P>

You really have a nice collection.</P>
          <P mce_keep="true"></P>

James</P>
          Baldwin Church Organ Model 48C
          Baldwin Spinet 58R
          Lowrey Spinet SCL
          Wurlitzer 4100A
          Crown Pump Organ by Geo. P. Bent, Chicago, Illinois

Organs I hope to obtain in the future:

Conn Tube Minuet or Caprice even a transistor Caprice with the color coded tabs
          Gulbransen H3 or G3, or V.
          Wurlitzer 44, 4410, 4420, ES Reed Models, 4300, 4500, Transistor Models

Comment

[quote user="Tinker"]

I've also found that really working hard to learn some new pieces instead of just sitting down and having a good time renews my interest. I have got myself into a routine of playing most every morning for at least an hour while enjoying a cup of coffee and the quiet before the rest of the household is up and running.</P>

[/quote]</P>

Perhaps this is the solution. Andy, where are you? Having to face the "MUSIC" every day surely must be a challenge to you. Or perhaps not. Enlighten us.</P>

Skippy</P>
            Hammond C3 & M102 & Elegante & PR40. Yamaha D85 & D65 & FS30 & MC600 & GX76. Thomas Celebrity Royale 871, Kawai T5 & E550, Conn 643 & 632 & 552.Lowrey H25R2. Elka EP12. Orla D6180, Wurlitzer 4430 & Omni 7000 & 555. Roland D70 & RA90 . Ferrofish B4000+. Leslie 145 & 705 & 710 & 720

Comment

[quote user="Tenor Trumpet 8'"]

Gary.</P>

You really have a nice collection.</P>
              <P mce_keep="true">James</P>

[/quote]</P>

I'll 2nd that [Y]</P>

Skippy</P>

Comment

How do professionals do it? I guess that the glib answer is that we just do, we have to. In reality, there have been plenty of days in my career where I just haven't felt like touching a keyboard, let alone giving a concert. Days when I haven't felt well, or have had an argument with the boss (or the wife!), and days when I've woken up in a hotelmiles from home, knowing that I've got a 300 mile drive to get my next venue and still won't be home for another few days after that. Do all the cares of the day just disappear when you get on stage and feel the 'buzz'? Not really, but they do get masked and I personally found that I could lose myself in the music somewhat. I think that most professionals learn how to cope with things early on in their career. It then becomes second nature.</P>

I don't think I ever tired of playing concerts,doing broadcasts or making recordings, but the constant travelling, living out of a suitcase, sometimes for weeks on end, got rather too much. Now, most of my teaching is within a ten minute drive from home with longer excursions just once a week. Much friendlier.</P>

Do I miss the concerts? Of course, and I only have to do a school concert with some of my students to realise just how much.</P>

Now, there are days when I don't want to touch a key and that's fine. And there are days when I feel I could fire up the Hammond and play for hours. However, most days are spent teaching and writing, and not much playing is actually done.</P>

Andy</P>
                It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
                Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
                Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
                Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

[quote user="andyg"]

I don't think I ever tired of playing concerts,</P>

[/quote]</P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Thanks Andy,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Your postreally puts my mind at ease. I thought I was forcing myself to love music.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">I don’t think there are many other instances in life that can be as gratifying as a successful night out entertaining. When I did my one man band thing for small clubs in the 80s with a crowd of perhaps 150, the satisfaction and exhilaration I felt after a successful night can not be described. I would lie in bed after the gig and re-live it with the bassbooming in the back of my head.Sometimes it would take me hours to settle down to sleep.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Here I was, working my butt off as a Carpenter all week and then empty the van on a Friday afternoonto make room for the music gear just for a single gig or perhaps a couple on the weekend. Load up the van, go to the venue, set up, do your 4-5 hours entertaining and then the reverse. Did I do it for the money? Never! The competition was so tight that just getting a gig was an achievement. I did it for? -- well, it was like a drug.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">I would go to a gig all tired with no illusions and it would turn out to be a terrific night or viceversa. It all dependedvery much on the audience of the night.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Never mind, nowadays I am just happy to noodle along on my old analogs.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Have a musical day,<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-AU; mso-fareast-language: EN-AU; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">Skippy</SPAN></P>

Comment

I have ODC once in a while. A littleyard work usually cures it. </P>

Even at my low level of non professional music involvement I can how much work being a musican can be. With church, senior centers, community band and even a work there is always some kind of gig on the near horizon. Besides practice there's contacting people,picking music,making arraangements with other band members, travel and all that schlepping of gear. I'm not quitting though. I'm hoping for even more to do as retirement nears. I plan to use the time before retiring to hone my skills and establsh some kind of network for myself. There is hardly anything more fun than meeting another musician especially if their ability and interests matches your own.</P>

I thought for a while that I was enviousof my daughter. She is headed off to college to be a music major and become a band director. I didn't choose the music major. Anyway I'll soon be a position to pickup a lot of knowledge from her as she learns. I just won't have to put up with screaming kids, rain at football games and haggling with the school board for my band budget. </P>

Comment

Working...
                    X