This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gulbransen Info requested again....

I was just wondering how many of you have played or have a Gulbransen organ such as the H3, spinet, model E, President, model D, and K? If you have any other models not mentioned, please feel free to make some comments.</P>

Is the model E called the President series, and do they have drawbars? I remember some console organs that looked like the President model, but they have no drawbars, and others do. I just need an understanding, and many thanks for your replies.</P>

James</P>
    Baldwin Church Organ Model 48C
    Baldwin Spinet 58R
    Lowrey Spinet SCL
    Wurlitzer 4100A
    Crown Pump Organ by Geo. P. Bent, Chicago, Illinois

Organs I hope to obtain in the future:

Conn Tube Minuet or Caprice even a transistor Caprice with the color coded tabs
    Gulbransen H3 or G3, or V.
    Wurlitzer 44, 4410, 4420, ES Reed Models, 4300, 4500, Transistor Models

Re: Gulbransen Info requested again....

The lettered models were the first models and were made from the late 50s to late 60s. Last lettered model was the PR (also known by the name "Premeire".). YOu can see a lot of the lettered models here (was a project I started and never finished):</P>

http://www.jimmyandsharonwilliams.com/gulbransen</P>

After that came the "named" models (Paragon, Pacemaker, President, Rialto II, Palace, etc.) and the numbered models (400, 600). Tibia drawbars only appeared on some of these later models; they are not on any of the lettered models from the 50s/60s.</P>

Regarding your specific models, I have played and worked on these three:</P>

Model E: First manufatcured 1958 - first console organ made by Gulbransen. Tibia-only. First issued with single speed internal leslie, then 2-speed. This is a separate organ from the President (which came much later). Some later runs of the Model E had a select-a-rhythm unit built into the console (like the Premiere). THe MOdel E was my first "real" organ.</P>

Model D: AGO-spec organ. 2-channel sound. Two generator sets (tibia and main). 2-speed internal leslie on tibia side; stationary internal speaker on main side. This is the one I own.</P>

Model K: AKA "Rialto" - First horseshoe model from Gulbransen (I believe this came out in 1959 or 1960???). 4-channel sound. Two generator sets (tibia and main). The 1107 model has no piano and the later 1135 does. The 1107 was paired with 2 identical leslies (100GK); the 1135 came with a 102/103 leslie pair. There were no internal speakers in the K. I completely restored and 1107 Model K last year. </P>

Regarding spinets; most of the lettered spinets were basically the same organ. There were differences in type of leslie (scoop rotorvs. rotosonic drum), leslie speeds, and percussion pre-sets / Omega system (pistons vs. knob). I think the H3 had thepercussion presets and omega pistons, 2-speed leslie scoop rotor. Some later lettered spinets (S and B5) had tibia and main generators, but for the most part these early spinets were single-channel organs. The R was divider-only.The rest of the single channel lettered spinets wereTIO-only.</P>

Hope this helps,</P>

jim</P>
    Jimmy Williams
    Hobbyist (organist/technician)
    Gulbransen Model D with Leslie 204

Comment

I have owned a model B spinet and a D 32 pedal console. I was very pleased with the tone on each of them but gave them up to move on to other organ acquisitions. Recently I tried to acquire a Rialto II in my town but it was in very poor condition and the owner wouldn't cut the price sufficiently to make the restoration work worthwhile, so I purchased a Conn 580 instead. I am a gulbransen fan and would acquire one in the future if the circumstances (budge and space) ever permit. The only bad experience I ever had was in attempting to repair a Pacemaker. It had very thin uninsulated wiring inside and some broke while I was attempting a repair. Then it was a lost cause.

Comment

Guys,</P>

When I worked in a music store we had six Gulbransen's to arrive at the same time when we added their line in 1980. We had 3 Pacemaker's, and three 400 Series spinets. The first crate to be opened was a 401 Chapel model, and it was the first to need a tech before we could put it on the floor. Then we had a white and a walnut finish 400 Series. We could have acquired the 600 or the Rialto II if we had a chance to see any of these. </P>

I don't recall the Pacemaker's needing service, but we had the smallest one with no rhythms, no piano, etc. then one with piano, harpsichord, and rhythms, etc., then a Pacemaker Deluxe with color coded tongue tabs with the same specs as the previous one listed. Apparently we were on the last of the Gulbransen Organs, and quality control was not the best it should have been.</P>

I prefer some of the older models such as the H3, the President model, and others with or w/out the drawbars.</P>

James</P>
        Baldwin Church Organ Model 48C
        Baldwin Spinet 58R
        Lowrey Spinet SCL
        Wurlitzer 4100A
        Crown Pump Organ by Geo. P. Bent, Chicago, Illinois

Organs I hope to obtain in the future:

Conn Tube Minuet or Caprice even a transistor Caprice with the color coded tabs
        Gulbransen H3 or G3, or V.
        Wurlitzer 44, 4410, 4420, ES Reed Models, 4300, 4500, Transistor Models

Comment

Enjoyed visiting your website. Thanks so much. I still have a premiere repair manual from my Gulbransen days. We appreciate all your input into this forum!

Comment

Working...
          X