Identifying a Part

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying a Part

Hi. My children have an organ to play on at home, it's just one of those ones with an octave of pedals on the left side.

Under the manuals is something for which I don't know the name nor the function. Can anyone help?

It would be helpful to know the name and model of the organ. I would guess it is a sound modifying device that you push on with your right knee. Its actual function might be enabled with a switch or stop tab up above. More pictures of the keyboards and controls?
    Larry is my name; Allen is an organ brand. Allen RMWTHEA.3 with RMI Electra-Piano; Allen 423-C+Gyro; Britson Opus OEM38; Saville Series IV Opus 209; Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI; Hammond 9812H with roll player; Gulbransen Rialto; Roland E-200; Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with MIDI.

Comment

Originally posted by AllenAnalog View Post
      It would be helpful to know the name and model of the organ. I would guess it is a sound modifying device that you push on with your right knee. Its actual function might be enabled with a switch or stop tab up above. More pictures of the keyboards and controls?
      I'll have to get you some more information later as I can't get more details right at the moment. I thought it simply clipped up or hung down - I didn't think that it may have been connected to anything else.

Comment

It’s a knee lever. Works like a switch. It may have a single specific use or can be programmed for one of several, eg rhythm stop/start, sustain, etc.

Comment

Front grille cloth reminds me of some older Kawai models, though I think Yamaha used something similar back then.

It almost certainly won't be assignable on an old organ like that. On a Yamaha or Kawai it will be either sustain or reverb on/off, depending on the make and model. I hardly ever used it. When assignable functions became available, it was of more use.
          It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
          Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
          Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
          Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

I'm guessing a pitch change to produce the effect of a Hawaiian guitar.

Comment

I've identified the grille cloth as the one that Kawai used on the E1xx series models, like the E120 and E150. I knew I'd seen it before - many, many times! So the knee lever is for sustain.
              It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
              Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
              Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
              Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

For those who don't know, when not in use it folds up to the left out of the way. When needed it folds down to a vertical position from where it can be pressed to the right by the right knee to give effect to the function assigned to it.
                Previous: Elka Crescendo 303, Technics G7, Yamaha EL-90
                Current: Yamaha AR-100

Comment

• seamaster
                  seamaster commented
                  Editing a comment
                  And if you’re 6’4”, they’re completely unusable and *stay* folded out of the way.

My previous Yamaha E3R had one of these. If I recall correctly, it triggered a pre set registration that could be configured. When I gutted the console, I also converted the knee switch to midi, just for fun. It worked as a switch coming down from the up position, but if you pushed it right it also worked as a momentary switch. My daughter loved pulling it down and pushing it up! I figured it could be used as a Ventil switch on French romantic organs.

-Current Instruments: Allen Mos-2 225 RTC,1870's W. Bell Reed organ, 1890's Singer Chicago upright grand piano Former Instruments: Yamaha Electone E3R

Comment

Originally posted by andyg View Post
                  Front grille cloth reminds me of some older Kawai models
                  Hit the nail on the head. It is a Kawai and of reasonable age as it has a cassette tape facility!

Thanks to those who have replied. It does look like the part in question could have been designed with some functionality in mind although, after having tested it, it seems in my case not to perform a function (or at least doesn't anymore).

Comment

Working...
                  X