Yamaha FS electone organs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha FS electone organs

Hello, I like the sound of the yamaha electone FS 500. I think its from 1982 OR 83. I saw in a sellers Youtube demo that it had a brilliance control on it. Do the other FS numbers have a brilliance slider or button? Also, what is the difference between all the various FS numbers? Which ones have the most features and which ones have the least? I don't need the drum machines, I just love the nice rich sound of the strings and pedals and Reeds and pipes.

Don't be worried about the Brilliance control. On some instruments it's actually a treble cut control working backwards! In other words the 'Brilliant' end is simply normal and it's actually that the other end is dull!

Only two FS models worth thinking about IMHO. In the UK and Europe they are the FS50 and the FS70 three manual. Known as the FS300 and FS500 in the USA. So you're looking at the best one with the FS500. It doesn't do true pipe organ sounds that well, if that's what you're actually after, but it can produce some good straight organ sounds if you know how to register it. It's at its best with its typical home organ sound, and its orchestral sounds.

Smaller models in the FS series may look similar, but to me they just don't sound as rich. The organs use FM tone generation and without going too technical, the more 'FM operators' an organ has, the better it is. Larger models usually have more operators, smaller ones usually have fewer, hence the difference in tone quality.

They are well built and usually very reliable. But do bear in mind that any organ that's nearly 40 years old may have issues and need some work. And there will be no major spare parts available. A major board failure will usually be terminal and you'll have to find another donor instrument for parts.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
    Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

You will find lots of information about Electone organs here:

https://www.imoose.nl/electone/

There is a table with the features of all the different FS organs for comparison.
      Playing Hammond Aurora Classic, Roland G800 & AT500.

Comment

Thank you auronoxe and Andy. Is there a book showing models and brands with pictures of electric organs from the 20th century?

Comment

Originally posted by samarkandy View Post
          Thank you auronoxe and Andy. Is there a book showing models and brands with pictures of electric organs from the 20th century?
          The closest thing you will get to that is a copy of the "The Organ Blue Book" which was used by dealers to determine trade in values.
          Here is a version you can download, or peruse. This one is fairly late, 1986 and goes back to models in the 1940's. Maybe others here have found earlier and later copies.

https://archive.org/details/OrganBlu...eBook1986-Pt.1
          Current inventory. Yamaha HX-1,Hammond Colonnade w/ Leslie 720, Kawai XR9000, (2) Technics FN3, Tyros 5, PSR 910.
          Is that enough?

Comment

Thank you, Beyerjf

Comment

You good people have any opinions on the Yamaha FX organs? Do they just sound like those tinny Yamaha DX7 synthesizers?

Comment

No, they don't. The DX-7 has one DAC channel operating at 12 bits. The FX-20 has 2) 6-channel DACS for 12 channels while the FX-1 has 3) 6-channel DACS for 18 channels.
                Yamaha used these extra channels to create stereo voicing, panning etc. Of course these organs have Drums sounds that use 2 channels. Digital reverb and other effects like Phasing and Chorus further enhanced the sound. You can detect that the sound is FM, but it is a much bigger sounding FM due to these differences in architecture. Also, the speaker systems in these consoles really put out a full sound.

Geo

Comment

Thank you, Geo.

Comment

Originally posted by andyg View Post
                    They are well built and usually very reliable. But do bear in mind that any organ that's nearly 40 years old may have issues and need some work. And there will be no major spare parts available. A major board failure will usually be terminal and you'll have to find another donor instrument for parts.
                    I had an FE70, which is of the same vintage (just lower in the range), which I purchased around 1983/84 and gave it to my parents to replace their B75N when I got my first Wersi in 1986. It was trouble free until about 8 years ago when the power supply went up in smoke, and it wasn’t worth fixing, as it only got played when I visited, so we scrapped it. Whilst the tone generation may be different between FE and FS, I bet the power supplies weren’t, so be prepared for some preventative maintenance in that area to ensure continued longevity if you are looking at that age of organ.

I liked the Yamaha sound of that era, but always wanted a D85 - I always used to go and play one in the local music shop whenever I was passing as a kid.

Mark.
                    Current Organ: Wersi Sonic OAX800
                    Previous Organs: Wersi Verona, Wersi Beta DX401, Yamaha FE-70, Yamaha B-75N
                    Previous Other: Wersi MAX-1, Wersi OX7, Korg N5, Yamaha DX27

Comment

Originally posted by samarkandy View Post
                      You good people have any opinions on the Yamaha FX organs? Do they just sound like those tinny Yamaha DX7 synthesizers?
                      I was never much of a fan of the FM-era Yamahas, but the FX models still sound terrific today.

Comment

Thank you, Markr and seamaster

Comment

Working...
                        X