Organ market decline in Japan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organ market decline in Japan

Not that this is breaking news, but I decided to utilize Google in the advanced mode where you can specify many more details. In this case I asked for results only from Japan and in Japanese language. Am I fluent? Not on your life. But through the magic of computers you can ask every page to be translated, at least if you open the page in Google Chrome.

Specifically I am hunting for spares for my Kawai "Dreamatone" XR9000. The Kawai Dreamatone corresponds to Yamaha Electone, and are used more or less interchangeably in advertisements referring to electronic home organs. Kind of like over in the UK where a vacuum cleaner is referred to as a Hoover, no matter what the actual brand.
    I happened upon this listing, which appears to be something like a Craigslist affair, these listings from 2018. If you open it in Chrome and ask for the translation you will see they have a glut of organs being given away also. I hope the link works.

https://jmty.jp/all/sale-kw-%E3%83%8...83%BC%E3%83%B3
    Current inventory. Yamaha HX-1,Hammond Colonnade w/ Leslie 720, Kawai XR9000, (2) Technics FN3, Tyros 5, PSR 910.
    Is that enough?

I'm not sure about today's younger generation, however, certainly among older Japanese people there's a reluctance, bordering on taboo, towards buying second hand stuff. That's one reason that so many barely-used high quality pianos are exported from there, by the container load.
    -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
    Leslie 147 #F7453.
    Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

Interestingly, Kawai used the Dreamatone name in the early years of their organ production, presumably following Yamaha's lead with Electone. At some point they dropped it and just called them 'electronic organs'. I'm guessing that was early 1970s and certainly by the time I started working for them from around 1976. I actually wrote some of the brochures and advertising material (and proof read some that Kawai Japan produced) and we never used the 'Dreamatone' name at all. I can't speak for the USA, but only for the UK and Europe. Maybe Kawai USA produced their own brochures using the name?

In 1979, they did apply the name to the T-30 concert organ - at least for the concert series I did in Japan that year - but they still called their organs organs! The XR series came out just as I moved over to Lowrey, but they and the following KL series were still called organs. Then, after repeatedly saying 'no more organs' they launched the DT series with the Dreamatone name again!

And even Yamaha called them organs at various stages, I've even heard them called 'Electone Organs'! :)

As for XR9000 spares, you're looking for donor organs, as supplies of spares for them disappeared many years ago - you're talking about a 1990/91 organ, after all! And then you take a chance that the board or whatever you need is in working order. Occasionally, you can get an entire organ for almost nothing, and then find that it's actually in better shape than yours, so the one you originally had becomes the donor for the new one!
      It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
      Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
      Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
      Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Originally posted by andyg View Post
        Interestingly, Kawai used the Dreamatone name in the early years of their organ production, presumably following Yamaha's lead with Electone. At some point they dropped it and just called them 'electronic organs'. I'm guessing that was early 1970s and certainly by the time I started working for them from around 1976. I actually wrote some of the brochures and advertising material (and proof read some that Kawai Japan produced) and we never used the 'Dreamatone' name at all. I can't speak for the USA, but only for the UK and Europe. Maybe Kawai USA produced their own brochures using the name?

In 1979, they did apply the name to the T-30 concert organ - at least for the concert series I did in Japan that year - but they still called their organs organs! The XR series came out just as I moved over to Lowrey, but they and the following KL series were still called organs. Then, after repeatedly saying 'no more organs' they launched the DT series with the Dreamatone name again!

And even Yamaha called them organs at various stages, I've even heard them called 'Electone Organs'! :)

As for XR9000 spares, you're looking for donor organs, as supplies of spares for them disappeared many years ago - you're talking about a 1990/91 organ, after all! And then you take a chance that the board or whatever you need is in working order. Occasionally, you can get an entire organ for almost nothing, and then find that it's actually in better shape than yours, so the one you originally had becomes the donor for the new one!
        The name Dreamatone seems to have stuck in the mind of the average consumer in Japan, just like many ads for organs here refer to them as a Hammond, but they are not. I don't recall the name Dreamatone being used by Kawai here in US at all.
        You are spot on with the spares. I was just curious, just like the strangest obsolete stuff turns up on our US Ebay site, I was curious if they had a comparable secondary market. What I have discovered is the conversations on the sites have all correspondence (questions and answers) listed between buyer and seller. I am amazed at how civilized they are. .

And I am doing exactly as you suggested. I have on my radar 2 other XR9000's right now. Unfortunately they are 1500-2000 miles away. The organ may be practically free, but logistics is a limiting factor. But being retired, a trusty Chevrolet Express van at my disposal, some piano dollies and a willing cat for a companion, I may make a journey.
        Current inventory. Yamaha HX-1,Hammond Colonnade w/ Leslie 720, Kawai XR9000, (2) Technics FN3, Tyros 5, PSR 910.
        Is that enough?

Comment

If it’s all over in Japan, we’ve had it.

Comment

My friend in Japan tells me that many Electone teachers are still found in every city throughout the country. Yamaha provide rental Electones as well as sales, and still regularly promote Electones in shopping centres. I don't think it is all over yet!

Comment

When was the last time Yamaha refreshed their range?

Comment

I think Yamaha will continue to sell Electones in Japan for a while longer, they seem to have sold a fair few Stagea models ......and remember they don't sell Genos or PSR SX700 or SX900 keyboards. The first Stagea series was out for 10 years before it was upgraded in 2014, so maybe they will introduce new models in 2024, who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by orgfred65 View Post
                  Yamaha provide rental Electones as well as sales, and still regularly promote Electones in shopping centres. I don't think it is all over yet!
                  Wow, it's been a very long time since I've seen that locally. Maybe twenty years.

-------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
                  Leslie 147 #F7453.
                  Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

Working...
                  X