Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowrey EZ10

Hello
    Has anyone any thoughts on this organ for a beginner/intermediate home player. I have a Yamaha PSR SX700 which I am finding a bit too technical for me.
    Any comments on this and price would be most appreciated.
    Frank

One question: Do you want to play organ, with pedals, or do you want to play it as a keyboard, using the automatics all the time?

That will let me give you a better reply, but as far as sounds and styles etc go, the Yamaha is way ahead of the Lowrey. And it doesn't have to be tricky to work with. A few lessons on operation would cost rather less than buying a new organ!
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
    Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

• musicmaker84
      musicmaker84 commented
      Editing a comment
      Isn't the SX-700 capable of receiving Midi in on channel 3? If so, a pedal board could be added. This is how I got back into home organ style playing using a Korg PA700. Even added a lower manual. I mute the automatic bass, and it's very close to a home organ.

Thanks - I guess i would wish to play it as a keyboard without pedals ,and without the technicalities of the Yamaha.
    I live "out in the sticks" too old to drive and no one able to come to give lessons.
    Frank

Comment

Then you could look around for a smaller keyboard that's easier to use or an older (probably free!) organ that has autochord and autobass - that's just about anything from the mid 1970s onwards. Lowrey's pricing means that dealer prices are high, even when used, but private sales often reflect much lower values. There's an EZ10 on Ebay now for £1950 or best offer - they almost certainly won't get the asking price so a lower offer could get it.

Although the PSR-S700 is a fairly complex keyboard, every backing style has four One Touch Settings that will set up the sounds to match, and there are also plenty of pre-made sound set-ups in the Playlists. Those make it just as easy to play as the Lowrey would be! Try them - just switch on, choose a style and press one of the four OTS buttons over at the right. Or you could sign up for a few 1 to 1 lessons on Zoom to see if you can get to grips with the Yamaha.There are a few keyboard teachers in the UK who offer this kind of 'operational' tuition, including myself.
      It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
      Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
      Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Thank you Andy,
        You are right - I was looking at the Ebay offer-the main dealers are asking a great deal more than that! (between £3500/£4000)!
        Am I right in saying that the home organ market is very depressed compared with the keyboard market and they are now very much out of fashion?
        I have had one or two organs in the past and have enjoyed them a great deal. I like the layouts and relative lack of technicalities. I had a nice Orla which I eventually had to give away as I couldn't sell it and was not able to use it at the time.
        Clearly the organ prices are over inflated and I think I shall stick to my keyboard taking you advice in mind
        Thanks again
        Frank
        Last edited by feyles; 10-14-2021, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Yes, the home organ market has been all but dead for many years, at least for new products. Used organs still sell, but for low prices and often for nothing - they're just given away as you found with the Orla. More recent models still command a value but as they reach maybe 10 years old, spares become a problem and the values tend to drop.

I'd stick with the Yamaha - it is a fine instrument, but why not also look around for free or cheap organs available near to you. If you find something, ask us here if it's any good and if it would suit you. You'll get honest answers with no bias or bull!

Comment

Thank you Andy - excellent advice
            Frank

Comment

Working...
            X