This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP: Yamaha EX-42 Multi Pin Out to 1/4" Phone

My appoligies if this is the wrong sub-forum, but the only HELP sub-forum I found pertained to the site itself.</P>

I just purchased a Yammy EX-42 and the seller said it has multi-pin outs similar to Lesile speakers rather than 1/4". The seller is supposed to send me a photo of the connections, because I heard there are different multi pin connectors. Just wondering if anyone here knows if an adapter exists so I can hook up the organ to a standad amp &amp; mixer. If no adapter, does anyone know the pin configuration so I can have my local tech make an adapter?</P>

Thanks.</P>

Re: HELP: Yamaha EX-42 Multi Pin Out to 1/4&quot; Phone

Yamaha usually uses 11 pin and 13 pin amphenol jacks. Yamaha had their own speaker cabinets in three and four channel configurations. Also, 11 pin jacks may be available for a Leslie speaker. Usually a model 710. Many model organs would have two 13 pins and one 11 pin. I believe these pinouts are similar between models since the speakers were interchangeable. I have schematics for most models but not the EX-42. Once you know the pin count, give me a shout and I'll get you a copy of what I have.
    </p>

With the right amphenol plug, an adapter would be very easy to make to go to 1/4" outs. You eill need to search around for the right plug. Many antique electronic dealers have the amphenol plugs and jacks.</p>

You should be able to get audio right out of the headphone jack (if it has one) to hold you over until you get the permanent output jacks installed.</p>

BTW... was this the Yamaha organ recently sold on ebay?</p>

George
    </p>

Comment

Yamaha EX-42 Multi Pin Out

Congratulations.</p>

Quite a beast that EX-42 !</p>

</p>

Probably
      (if you haven't already done so) worth investing in the Service
      Manual. They are still available (usually a photocopy) from
      Yamaha ~ you may have to write, call or email your local Yamaha
      distributer. In the service manual you can see where the audio
      outputs are going ... as they compile into the internal mixer, the amps
      and the output connectors such as the Leslie type or the Yamaha
      type. From there you can then purchase your own connections
      and replace, modify or augment.</p>

</p>

Let us know how it turns out !</p>

Comment

Re: Yamaha EX-42 Multi Pin Out

Yes, I purchased this organ off eBay nearly a month ago. I spent about a week arguing with the seller regarding some mis-wording in the listing. He waited about a week after I paid to start crating it (the auction verbage made me think a crate already existed), finally finished a few day ago and I scheduled freight truck to pick up today, now it's on its way. I contacted Yamaha myself and they do not hae a service manual. My local tech also researched availabiliy of SM and said it is no longer available. Sell kept the speakers and sent me this photo of the connector:</P>

</P>

Any light you guys can shed would be most appreciated.</P>

Comment

The EX42 had two R60B speaker cabinets. These, I'm told, have 8 pin cables, as confirmed by the photo. The EX42 is also probably too early to have 9 pin connections for a leslie 710. That cab came a year or so later, I think.
          </p>

I assume you've already found the dedicated Electone group on line? They seem to know everything Electone between them. www.electone.com</p>

And this site says it has the service manuals: http://manuals.mauritron.com/html/yamaha_e-l.html</p>

Best of luck</p>

Andy
          </p>

</p>
          It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
          Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
          Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
          Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

The typical configuration is signal and ground. With the organ turned off, you could take an ohm meter, and with one end connected to a good ground, (metal chassis) use the other end to check each of the eight pins to locate the ground(s). Once a ground is found, you can connect an audio cable ground to the proper pin (or even the chassis for that matter) and with the signal side of the cable, go from pin to pin of the remaining pins looking for signal. Organ on with a key pinned down.</p>

Now, all the Yamaha cables I have seen don't put AC power through the cable. However, yours is older and it may very well do that. You could ask the seller if the cabinets had to be plugged in to the wall or not. If they were not, then you have two pins with AC power on them. If the cabinets did plug in, then you're OK with checking the pins while on. I think I have some 8-pin plugs and will look when I'm back at work.</p>

George
            </p>

Comment

[quote user="geoelectro"]

. I think I have some 8-pin plugs and will look when I'm back at work.</p>

George
              </p>

[/quote]</p>

Yes, I have some.[:)]</p>

George
              </p>

Comment

That's great news George. I'll probably order a couple from you and have my tech rig something up. Here's the reply I received from the seller regarind the speakers:

<DIV>"They get their primary power from a 120 volt source through a wall outlet. The speakers have a switch on the back to turn them on manually instead of through the organ. I assume there is a low voltage relay that turns them on through the organ but I have no idea which pins do that and how much the voltage is but when I have time, I will take the speaker amp and find the relay and apply incremental increases in DC voltage until it activates.</DIV>
                <DIV></DIV>
                <DIV>I know which pins activate the rotating speakers, fast and slow, but a common ground for the audio signal is sometimes used so I'll eventually find which pins carry the signal to which amplifier (there are three in each cabinet)."</DIV>
                <DIV></DIV>
                <DIV>I appreciate everyone's help here. I'm just a synth guy - these organs are new territory for me. After I tackle the Yammy, I've got an Eminent Solina P275 that needs some attention. For a while, the upper manual could only play E-G#, so I thought I had a osc divider issue, but I fired it up a couple weeks ago and all keys played. The rhythm section still does not work. I would like to rig up a 1/4" direct out to record the organ - at least the Solina String Ensemble that's built in.</DIV>

Comment

Working...
                X