Lowrey parts availability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowrey parts availability?

In another thread I talked about trying to repair a Thomas Coronado for friends of friends who are now aged in their eighties. The repair attempt was a bust and I looked for another to replace it only to find that it (a freebie model 821) had exactly the same problem!

So, I've been looking around for some sort of replacement and have come across a Lowrey A200 Encore for a pretty good price, having regard to the steep price drops associated with used Lowreys and the apparently excellent condition of the organ. It strikes me as just the sort of organ that would suit them -- button operated (as opposed to menus) and a good selection of rhythms, etc.

However, I'm a little leery about such transactions as, almost inevitably, I'll become the defacto support person if problems arise.

What is the situation these days with availability of Lowrey parts, especially for the A200?

And, dare I ask, any chance of finding an A200 service manual?
    -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
    Leslie 147 #F7453.
    Hammond S-6 #72421

Schematics are available from Kawai. They are not service manuals so no troubleshooting or disassembly instructions.
    Power supply parts are available from Digikey or Mouser.
    Kawai no longer has any legal obligation to support the Lowrey brand so CPU, panel driver, or mixer boards may or may not be available.

td

Comment

Originally posted by tucsondave View Post
      CPU, panel driver, or mixer boards may or may not be available.
      Those and any proprietary chips are the parts that I have in mind. Are they usually procured through Kawai direct?
      -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
      Leslie 147 #F7453.
      Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

Originally posted by gtc View Post

Those and any proprietary chips are the parts that I have in mind. Are they usually procured through Kawai direct?
        Only from Kawai and only boards, no chips.

Comment

Originally posted by tucsondave View Post

Only from Kawai and only boards, no chips.
          So board swap-outs? That sounds expensive.
          -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
          Leslie 147 #F7453.
          Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

Originally posted by gtc View Post

So board swap-outs? That sounds expensive.
            Yes, but only if available, which is apparently becoming an issue on even the later models. :(
            It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
            Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
            Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
            Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Lowrey as did Technics, produced a 1% overrun on PC boards. So if they built 1000 A200's there were 10 spare boards available. Lowrey announced years ago that there was no longer any support for the pre "A" models.

td

Comment

Said it before and I’ll say it again, this is why the future of the organ is software driven instruments running on generic hardware. Anything else is an expensively ticking timebomb.

They may go bust with the regularity of a Kennedy funeral, but Wersi is the safest bet now.

Comment

If PCB's are stored in a dry, pest free, climate controlled environment then they really should last at least a few decades and even then your most likely failure points will be capacitors just like in the old organs. Obviously if a chip does fail in those then you're pretty much screwed, but with proper care they should last a good while. I have computers from 1995 that run no problem, aside from the LCD displays slowly losing brightness I think.
                  Lowrey Heritage Deluxe DSO-1
                  Lowrey Holiday Deluxe w/ Automatic Rhythm TLO-1/AR (w/ manual)
                  Lowrey Holiday Deluxe TLO
                  Lowrey Holiday LSB
                  Wurlitzer 4075, Silvertone 4782 (w/ manual), Yamaha Arius YDP-V240 (w/manual)

Comment

The organ I had before the Roland was a Kawai SR6, from 1988. Worked perfectly and all the e-caps were sound when checked. Only issue was the usual one - dust in the rubber/carbon key contacts. Once sorted, it was as good as gold. I still have the Kawai K1m sound module from 1989 and that's still fine. What surprised me was that the Kawai Q80 disk drive/sequencer also worked OK when I dug out my old disks from 1989 and loaded in my own sounds!

So things can last, but the analogue organs from the 1960s and the 1970s - before 'custom' chips became the norm - may well outlast the more modern ones!
                    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
                    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
                    Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
                    Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Love the optimism, lads —does it go far enough to take a punt on a Lowrey of recent vintage at anything other than a giveaway price?

Comment

• human-potato_hybrid
                        human-potato_hybrid commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Haha, nope. I believe all comments were made assuming that context.

• andyg
                        andyg commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Absolutely not. In any case I'd prefer "h-p-h" 's Heritage!
                    Working...
                    X