Old Lowrey Lincolnwood 25 SSO has cipher/cypher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Lowrey Lincolnwood 25 SSO has cipher/cypher

When I press the tab for the harpsichord sound there is a leaky note cluster or maybe the proper word is cypher. It's the sound of somebody leaning on all the notes with both their arms and it's pretty quiet but annoying. Same problem when I press the accordion tab. Other tabs don't have this problem. I think this organ is from 1960. Does anyone have a suggestion for how to repair this?
    Last edited by myorgan; 06-19-2024, 07:05 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling of Lowery for benefit of future searches.

Cyphers/ciphers are a big problem on this early range of Lowreys, and probably explains why they went solid state. Are you sure it's only those two registrations that are ciphering? Usually, a cipher affects everything in the sustaining range, i.e., 8', 4', 2'. If you're hearing 'beehiving' – a kind of background interference that's audible, but not necessarily intrusive, then that's usually a capacitor issue. If you've got a drone on specific notes, say two or three, that's something else and could be a number of things. It's not an easy fix. You can check if it's beehiving or a cipher by looking at the exposed circuits of the generator board. If neons are lit whilst your Harpsichord tab is engaged, then it's a cipher. Both the Accordion and Harpsichord use harmonic-heavy synthesis (i.e., not much is filtered out unlike say, a Flute or Clarinet) so more beehiving will be apparent.

There are two people on this forum who can help. One is Drawbar Dave who like me is a keen vintage Lowrey enthusiast. The other is a chap who runs Crasno Electronics in Canada. He's also on here but posts only very occasionally but has deep vintage Lowrey knowledge. You can google his co.'s name and he may be able to help diagnose the issue.

Comment

Hello, you are right now I'm hearing it on more tabs on the upper manual. Also I'm noticing a pop when I click the tab switches.

Comment

The first thing I would do is apply Deoxit D5 to the pins on every one of the 80+ tubes in that beast.

td
        Servicing electronic organs since 1969.

Comment

Originally posted by samarkandy View Post
          It's the sound of somebody leaning on all the notes with both their arms and it's pretty quiet but annoying.
          I am following this thread with interest because my DSO-1 exhibits the same issue. I had pretty much come to the determination it related to the neons, but didn't know how to test them as Lazlo outlined above.

Also I'm noticing a pop when I click the tab switches.
          Not to hijack the thread, but I've had the same issue with my DSO-1, but know the felts under the side of the rocker tabs closest to the organist have come unglued. Does anyone know:
          1. How to remove the glue from the existing felt?
          2. What would I use to re-glue the felt to the metal bracket?
          3. Should I buy different felt? If so, would it be wool felt?
          I do realize the tab noise samarkandy is describing is most likely different than that I've discovered with my organ (felt issues).

Michael
          Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
          • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
          • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
          • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

I should point out that if the neons are glowing DO NOT REPLACE THEM. They are merely exhibiting a symptom of the problem in as much as the voltage flowing through the generator is not being sufficiently cancelled upstream.
            Last edited by Lazlo; 06-18-2024, 03:19 AM.

Comment

I'm losing felt as well. I feel your pain.

I think it is beehiving as opposed to cypher/cipher. Thank you for all the suggestions I will try them.

The guy from Crasno is very helpful too. In the United Kingdom there's a place called vintage keys and that guy has offered to help my electrician over the phone for a small fee . He does these great YouTube videos where he demonstrates old Lowery organs and other endangered organs. I think he's really smart about maintaining them for the studio. (And so are you guys) Thanks

Comment

• tucsondave
                tucsondave commented
                Editing a comment
                When discussing the problem with the guy in the UK, be specific as to the issues. Avoid words such as "some" or a "cluster of notes."
                Check to see if the noise is on the sustained voices or the non-sustain or both. Some keys leaking or entire keyboard. Test one stop at a time. Write down the results. If there are small lights inside the chassis make sure they are lit.

Felt-- Hot glue, contact cement, or Gorilla Construction Adhesive.

• myorgan
                myorgan commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by tucsondave
                Felt-- Hot glue, contact cement, or Gorilla Construction Adhesive.
                Thank you, Dave. That's exactly the information we needed. OTOH, how do you remove the old glue–scrape it off with a blade?

Michael
                Last edited by myorgan; 06-19-2024, 07:03 AM.

Also I'm noticing a pop when I click the tab switches.
              My DSO had a similar issue when I got it. Engaging any one of the upper manual 8’ tabs (including the “Special effects” voices except Music Box) would produce a loud pop. Adding more 8’ voices did not cause more noise. Also, no registration would produce any sound on any clavier, unless at least one of those upper manual 8’ voices was engaged.

When I restored the organ, I found that the 8’ shorting relay had a damaged wire, and had no connection to ground. Replacing this wire solved the issues I described.

If you are troubleshooting inside the “quality control” section, I suggest checking around that shorting relay.
              Hammond A-100 console, Lowrey Heritage DSO spinet, Yamaha YC-45D combo, Leslie 145 w/ Tornado SSR-147 relay

Comment

Thanks Abrahamian. What does the shorting relay look like?

Comment

Working...
                X