This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kawai SR4

Forgive me for starting yet another thread in my quest to find a new organ seeing as I can't get pedals for my Baldwin Cinema II.  I gave up on the Thomas after the advice I received on here, now I am looking at a Kawai SR4.  </P>

From what I have read on the forum, andyg, designed the Kawai SR4.  I have come across a Kawai SR4 for $150 Australian.  Andy and anyone else, are you able to tell me if it is worth buying?  It is apparently in excellent, hardly played condition.  It has the RAM card, instruction manual and stool.  What can you tell me about it?  When was it built?  Is the MIDI real MIDI or is it a proprietary Kawai MIDI like the early Yamaha MIDI, and not compatible with true MIDI instruments?</P>

Re: Kawai SR4

Whitley Bay Organs based in the UK have one for sale . Seems as best offer secures</P>

You will need to collect or pay for delivery</P>

http://www.whitleybayorgans.co.uk/cheep%20organs.html</P>

Hope this helps</P>

Len</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Comment

Thanks Len, but I have already found one, that's why I am asking about it.  And I am in Australia, so delivery might be a problem for that one!!

Comment

[quote user="WendyH"]

now I am looking at a Kawai SR4.What can you tell me about it? When was it built? Is the MIDI real MIDI or is it a proprietary Kawai MIDI like the early Yamaha MIDI, and not compatible with true MIDI instruments? [/quote]</P>

G'day Wendy,</P>

The SR4 was realeased in 1988, sold for AUD$6595 RRP, and formed part of the last Kawai range sold in our country. In the scheme of things it sat at #4 from the top in a range of6 instruments, ie. 3 above &amp; 2 below. It's an all digital spinet (44/44/13) instrument, so it will soundclean, crisp &amp; clinical, lacking the warmth you would be used to from your analog Cinema II.</P>

If by "real midi" you mean general midi, then the answer is no. It's the same as the "H" series Yammys from that era, ie. UK Channel 1/LK Channel 2/Pedals Channel 3.</P>

Given our used organ market (or lack of it) the price is pretty good. (Andy, that's less than 70 quid in the current G Dubya Bush forex rate!)</P>

Happy Hunting,</P>

Ian</P>
        sigpic
        Hammond X77GT & Leslie 77P
        Lowrey C500 & Leslie 720/540
        Hammond T524 & Leslie 710
        Gulbransen Theatrum & Leslie 700
        Yamaha EL90T

Comment

Hi Wendy</p>

The Kawai SR4? One of my designs, and part of the best series of organs Kawai ever made (OK I haven't played their Japan-only current models).</p>

1988 it is. Sorry Ian, I have to disagree about the sound. Clinical indeed! [:@] This is partly my voicing and we took great pains with it. It is 100% digital but unlike every other make around at that time, it's not sampled, with all the crispness and clinicality (I've probably invented that word) that that usually brings. Instead the sounds are formed by a very powerful realtime additive synth engine, everything's built from multitudes of sine waves. The flutes (they're mine) are the warmest you'll ever find in a small Japanese organ - only the SR5/6/7 were better - and the same generator was in fact used for the flutes in the much larger and more expensive US - made Lowrey NT series. It will hold its own against any American organ, including the Cinema II.</p>

Strings, brass, winds, solo voices etc, are fine, not in the same league as today's keyboards, but better than most other organs of the time. Rhythm section is all-PCM. Automatics are perhaps a bit basic. The Yanks messed up the design of the previous X series IMHO, with their 'overkill' automatics, chasing the Lowrey MX-1 and, in hindsight, we over-reacted.</p>

All in all, it's a very sweet sounding organ, and we were very pleased with it. If there was one near here for £70, I'd buy it for myself. They're going for a bit more than that in the UK.
          </p>

Disadvantages? Well, the memory cards needed for registration back-up are rarer than hens' teeth and the registration memories always hold the rhythm settings - they took off the 'D' for disable button that I specified.</p>

As for MIDI, deliberately basic. Transmits and receives just as Ian has said. No General MIDI voices - they came later - but it will reliably interface with other MIDI gear and the preset pistons can transmit basic Programme Change messages.</p>

Andy
          </p>

</p>
          It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
          Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
          Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
          Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Thank you Ian and Andy, you have both been very helpful! [:D] I ended up buying the organ before either of you posted because it was on eBay with a Buy It Now price of $150, and I was worried someone else would buy it before I did!</P>

This is the auction -</P>

http://cgi.--------.au/KAWAI-SR4-Dig...1%7C240%3A1318</P>

Andy, it's good to know that you would buy one yourself, now I know I made the right decision to buy it! And you have both confirmed what I thought, $150 is a good price for it, so that's good. As you say Andy, the memory cards are scarce, but I actually think we have some old ones floating around here. I will have to compare them with the one that is with the organ, but I am almost positive they are the same. They will need new batteries though.</P>

It lacks the character as a piece of furniture that the Baldwin does, but I still don't have pedals or a music stand for the Baldwin, which is really frustrating when I am playing it. There are also a couple of things not working on the Baldwin (including the Leslie, which is not rotating), so whilst the Kawai isn't a theatre organ and doesn't have 61-note keyboards, I think it will be a great starting point, andI can work my way up to something better. [;)]</P>

We are picking it up later today if it stops raining, and I am really excited about it! I will let you know how I go with it.</P>

Thanks again for your replies!</P>

Wendy</P>

Comment

Well Andy, you certainly designed a beautiful organ in the Kawai SR4. [:)] We picked it up today and I am absolutely thrilled with it. And a bonus - it looks brand new! There was some masking tape on the G pedal (used by the owner to help him identify it) which I had to clean off, but it came off without a problem and I haven't found a mark on the organ or the stool. </P>

Everything works, except the F# pedal for some reason. Is that something that is easy to fix? My husband is a panelbeater (who can turn his hand to just about anything) and my son is a bit of a computer and electronics buff (as well as having a Bachelor of Music and a Master of Teaching, and teaching high school music) so between the two of them if it was something simple they could probably fix it.</P>

I have spent a wonderful afternoon fiddling with it and trying different registrations. It even impressed my son who loves his top of the line Yamaha Clavinova!! [:D]</P>

So thanks again, I am very thrilled with my new toy! [:D]</P>

Comment

Glad you like the organ!</p>

Chances are it's just a pedal contact. I know the keyboard contacts can sometimes suffer from getting dust inside, cured with a squirt from an air can, so maybe that will do the trick. I've never had to take one apart, and we're talking about 20 years ago, so I no longer have any of the service manuals.</p>

Andy
                </p>

</p>
                It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
                Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
                Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Yes, they figured it was probably just a pedal contact. There was a bit of dust under the expression pedal which my husband blew out with the air compressor before we brought the organ inside. I'll get him to do it around the pedals and see if it fixes it. </P>

Thanks Andy I love it! [:)]</P>

Comment

Just got an sr4 today. Not at all clinical it has a lovely round mellow tone but can also be registered sharp n punchy too. Drum machine seems a little quiet but I'm not one for using it much so no problem there. Super preset theatre organ sound. So much easier to change registrations than my ex35 due to well laid out n colour coded controls. I'm gonna have great fun on this. Already set up a great Glenn Miller sound with Brass n sax mix

Comment

Glad you like the sound. 'Non clinical' and mellow, as designed! :->

Drum box should be nice and loud, sounds like a small issue there.

Comment

Working...
                      X