Leslie 145 - Horn has no sound

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leslie 145 - Horn has no sound

Hey, another thread about no sound in the top rotor. Checked the horn, it's not blown, surprisingly quite clean. Even took the signal leads and connected them to a working speaker and no sound. I still get lower frequencies in bass rotor.

My next step is the crossover, right? I know nothing about it, where do I start looking?

As an aside, last night will be the last time I let someone use my rig...

crossover is pretty basic, check it out visual first
    1956 M3, 51 Leslie Young Chang spinet, Korg Krome and Kronos

Comment

Sometimes the crossover connectors are pretty heavily oxidized, enough to cause a bad connection.
      I'm David. 'Dave' is someone else's name.

Comment

So, my capacitors have a neat little bulge at the top. Logic says to me this is no good and probably the reason for no sound in the top horn.

Tell me that it's easy to replace them.

Comment

It's easy to replace them
          Current organs: AV, BC, A-100
          Current Leslies: 22H, 142, 147, 760
          Organs in the past: L-100 (several), M-100 (x2), T-100, E-100, CV
          Other keyboards: Roland FP-4, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha TX81Z, Yamaha Motif ES Rack, Korg Krome, Novation Mininova

Comment

The original capacitors were two capacitors in one unit that looks like a large bar of soap.

It's possible that someone replaced them with electrolytic capacitors to try to save a few bucks.
            I'm David. 'Dave' is someone else's name.

Comment

Re: "Tell me that it's easy to replace them."

Originally posted by enor View Post
              It's easy to replace them
              LOL ! Good job, Mr. Enorson !
              Roger Memphis
              C-3 with O-M, 145, 122RV, 2 PR-40's, PSR-36
              CV with HR-40, 2 B-40's

Comment

The original capacitor is still there, just disconnected, wires cut off, actually.

Someone definitely used electrolytics and the values are all wrong, too. Two 6.8uf in parallel and then a single 6.8uf.

I've ordered the replacement cap kit from tonewheel general and I'll install them tomorrow.

Thanks for reassuring me that it's easy, enor.

Comment

Not sure if anyone is still monitoring this threadl but I have a Leslie 147 and no sound is coming out of the treble horn. Bass horn is fine, rotor speeds are fine, tubes all illuminate and seem to be set in well.I have 2 combo preamps and 2 cables and the same thing is happening with every combination. When I unplug the treble horn from the dividing network I still get sound, but when I unplug the bass horn I get nothing. I took out the preamp, and looked underneath, and while some of the connections seem a little jiggly, they all seem to be intact. (The bass connections seem as jiggly as the treble and the bass is working fine.) If anyone has any thoughts it would be greatly appreciate.Thanks!

Comment

Hello,

If the bass works well, it indicates that the amplifier is in good condition.

But, like all tube amps, it is dangerous to make it work with no load.
                    For safety, leave the bass speaker plugged in and let the volume minimum.

It may be a cutted wire or a short in the horn circuit or in the worst case a smoked horn.
                    Unplug the horn and try to follow the treble sound with a small speaker. Any speaker can be suitable as long as the power is low.

JP

Comment

Hi JP,

Thanks for the response. I think I have an EV, and I'm pretty sure the diaphragm is shot. I'm not even sure I can get a replacement, even if I could figure out how to remove it. I think I'm just going to get an Atlas or a Selenium and call it a day.

Thanks again,
                      Dave

Comment

Hello,

A cross-over whose capacitors have drifted can let the bass pass in the tweeter and make it burn.
                        Cross over problems with old paper capacitors are well known and explained on this forum.

JP

Comment

Working...
                        X