Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leslie 760 modification

Hi yall,

I am going to mod my 760 because I need more volume and easier transport...

Advice is appriciated concerning the following:

- Anything regarding ways to split the leslie into two parts, so it will fit in my Saab

- Ways to make the volume louder, new driver is a must I think, and experiences with bi-amping are welcome

- I would like the horn to accelerate and decelerate slower, its the inbetweens that sounds nice to me...

Thank you in advance...

Originally posted by MetaTapir View Post
    Hi yall,

I am going to mod my 760 because I need more volume and easier transport...

Advice is appriciated concerning the following:

- Anything regarding ways to split the leslie into two parts, so it will fit in my Saab

- Ways to make the volume louder, new driver is a must I think, and experiences with bi-amping are welcome

- I would like the horn to accelerate and decelerate slower, its the inbetweens that sounds nice to me...

Thank you in advance...
    Do you drive a 9-3SS, a convertible, or a 9-5 Sedan? Because all other SAABs (at least if we're talking 1994 or newer) fit a Leslie 760 without problems (I have experience)

If the 760 isn't loud enough for you, it needs a rebuild - not modifications. A 760 that's working right, with the stock woofer and driver, is _VERY_ loud. More than enough to scare off any guitar player.

Haven't got a good answer for #3 - I've never heard that request before. Weighing down the horn seems like the way to do it, but maintaning balance while doing so is a challenge.
    Current organs: AV, BC, A-100
    Current Leslies: 22H, 142, 147, 760
    Organs in the past: L-100 (several), M-100 (x2), T-100, E-100, CV
    Other keyboards: Roland FP-4, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha TX81Z, Yamaha Motif ES Rack, Korg Krome, Novation Mininova

Comment

Recapping my 760's PSU, amplifiers and crossover made a big difference for me.
      Hammond BC/Leslie 147
      MK2 Farfisa Compact Duo/Binson Echorec 2
      Yamaha KX88
      MK1 Korg CX3/Neo Ventilator

Comment

hi enor,

A 9-5, but I need other stuff in there as well
        A lot of people talk about replacing the Jensen driver as it supposedly wont last if you blast it at full volume all the time?
        Most digital versions of the leslie lets you decide the de- an acceleration ratio, because most leslies are different. Im super picky with that, and unless i can get a stepless leslie controller (yes, i know), then id really like to have slower accelation...

Comment

Originally posted by MetaTapir View Post
          hi enor,

A 9-5, but I need other stuff in there as well
          A lot of people talk about replacing the Jensen driver as it supposedly wont last if you blast it at full volume all the time?
          Most digital versions of the leslie lets you decide the de- an acceleration ratio, because most leslies are different. Im super picky with that, and unless i can get a stepless leslie controller (yes, i know), then id really like to have slower accelation...
          Yah, but .. the horn?

Most of the neat acceleration effect comes from the drum. And that acceleration is adjustable by means of varying the belt tension.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Drawbar Dave View Post
          Recapping my 760's PSU, amplifiers and crossover made a big difference for me.
          New power transistors make a huge difference too.
          Other keyboards: Roland FP-4, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha TX81Z, Yamaha Motif ES Rack, Korg Krome, Novation Mininova

Comment

I changed my power transistors. There was an "H" version higher power or something.
            Hammond BC/Leslie 147
            MK2 Farfisa Compact Duo/Binson Echorec 2
            Yamaha KX88
            MK1 Korg CX3/Neo Ventilator

Comment

Most of the neat acceleration effect comes from the drum
              Yes, definitely...and things start to sound really weird if the horn accelerates and de-accelerates too slowly, IMO. One of my horn-added 120s had an upper motor that took a while to work right if it sat unused for too long and it sounded really strange when getting up to speed until it got loosened up.

Comment

To improve the sound and volume of the Leslie 760 it needs more serious amplifiers than the originals which to my personal opinion are two pieces of crap. Primarily they have a lot of vane sounding - crossover and ill sounding harmonics - distortion and secondary they are too small. Demount or disconnect them, but maintain the filter and make outputs for the 15” and the horn driver, install - or in case of lack of space - put a good and powerful PA amp on top, feed it with the signal from the filter and connect the outputs back to the speakers. You won’t believe your ears : it can play VERY loud and clean without distortion and without burning the units, in fact it gets very close to the 147 sound and MUCH LOUDER !!! The balance can be done on the pots of the amp.

Comment

Hello,

To have more power, it is necessary to take amplifiers that work with a higher voltage. Or use bridged amps..
                  This will surely improve the bass.

But it is especially in the treble that you have to work.
                  I managed to mount a reverb amp that came from a 147RV on a 760 for the tweeter.
                  And compared to before the difference was huge.

JP

Comment

I would find a way to transport the unit as a whole rather than chopping it up. Otherwise, you could remove the upper horn section leaving the lower section's interior dimensions intact. The unit is already essentially biamped and rebuilding the crossover with better, low-noise transistors may help. Going to a ferro fluid driver might also help, being careful to match the impedance and crossover point based on the driver's low end specs. Replace the power supply filter caps and bridge rectifer. You might consider going to a toroidal style transformer with a higher current rating. Going to matched 2N3055 output transistors will also make a difference. Hope this helps and please keep us posted on your progress.
                    Over the years: Hammond M3, BC, M102, B3, four X77s and three PR-40s, a Thomas Electra and a Celebrity, three Fender Rhodes, Roland HS-10, HP-2000, HP-600, RD-600, JV-880, a thing made by Korg (?), two Leslie 910s, 122, 257, 258, 247, two 142s, and three custom-built Leslies. Wow, way too much money spent!

Comment

Guys - it's a 2 year old thread. I'd guess he's chopped it up already.

Comment

Working...
                      X