X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammond B3 and Leslie - low volume isuue

Hammond B3 and Leslie 122 low volume issue

Hi

I am hoping somebody out there can point me in the proper direction. Up until this week my B3 and Leslie have been working fine. Today I powered everything up - the B3 came to life and the leslie kicked in. As I was getting ready to play a loud "crack" sound came from the Leslie (one crack only). From that time on all sound is at a very low volume.

All of the functions of the B3 are all there - the expression pedal does work - it's just like everything is sounding like the leslie is set at it's lowest volume possible.

I do have a meter but am not familiar with tubes, resistors of caps. I live in a remote area of British Columbia, Canada where it is almost impossible to get any kind of an electrical person to come in to look at it. Any suggestions as to if it the organ or the leslie?

I do have electrical diagrams for both units but I don't know where to start.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Scott
    Hammond B3 with Leslie 22H (converted to 122 amp)
    Roland KR5 piano
    Hammond M3 with Leslie 145
    Hammond Aurora 8222 with Leslie 710
    Hammond X5 with Leslie 760

Pull out the first four drawbars on one of the keyboards. Put your meter across the GG terminals of the organ preamp. With the volume pedal all the way down, or full volume, press the middle C note and measure the AC volts on your meter. You should get around 4Vac. If not, the problem is in the organ, if so, it's in the Leslie.

4vac is not exact, just in general. If it's 3.5Vac for example it's OK. If it's 1.2Vac then it's a problem. It can be higher as well. I've measured as much as 7~8Vac. It should be at least 4Vac (close) or more. -divide and conquer-

Geo

Comment

Thanks Geo

I will get my meter out and get to work on this problem today. Thanks for your information and I will keep you in the loop as to what I find. thanks, Scott
      Roland KR5 piano

Comment

Fixed! Problem solved!

By following your great instructions I determined that the problem was "in" the B3, not the leslie 122. So I hauled out my prints and started looking at tube locations. The very 1st one I checked was at location V3 (12BH7). Pulled it and replaced it - no change. Then I pulled out the adaptor for the reverb unit I had installed years ago and took it out of the circuit. Replaced the tube and everything came back to life!

Thanks to your suggestion Geo the problem was resolved quickly! Thanks to you for reaching out to help me and thanks to those who maintain this website.

Scott

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=CSP;461159]Fixed! Problem solved!

By following your great instructions I determined that the problem was "in" the B3, not the leslie 122. So I hauled out my prints and started looking at tube locations. The very 1st one I checked was at location V3 (12BH7). Pulled it and replaced it - no change. Then I pulled out the adaptor for the reverb unit I had installed years ago and took it out of the circuit. Replaced the tube and everything came back to life!

Thanks to your suggestion Geo the problem was resolved quickly! Thanks to you for reaching out to help me and thanks to those who maintain this website.

Scott
        Roland KR5 piano

Comment

Working...
        X