This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake or not to brake ?

I'm bringing back to life a 22h Leslie. Should I hook up the brake circuit? I'll replace the diode if yes.
    Its got the 5u4 tube.
    I'm not a player but love the sound.

A better question is, why was the brake disconnected to begin with?

Comment

I just bought it,so I'm not sure.It was a estate deal. It came with a Leslie combo preamp for a 147.So who knows what its been doing. One of the 6550s was white,caps bad,busted sockets.But other parts o.k so far.

I think the sound of the horns slowing down longer is a good thing in alot of players style. Maybe because it was popping and they didn't want to fix it right...

Your opinion means alot! Thanks for your reply

Comment

Originally posted by muckelroy View Post
        A better question is, why was the brake disconnected to begin with?
        I rarely find the brake circuits in 22H/47 amps functional at this point in their history. Usually the diode or capacitor has failed, or a wire has broken. 1959 silicon diodes are very fragile compared to today's.

As for braking or not braking, I've never used braking on my 1950s Leslies, but I do like to have the lower louver panel in place on single-speed Leslies since, otherwise, you do hear a difference when the opening of the lower drum is pointed out the open side. When the drum is turning very slowly, it's an odd sound. With the louver panel in place, the slow-down is even in tone.

But you can repair the brake circuit and see if you like it. If not, disconnect it.
        I'm David. 'Dave' is someone else's name.

Comment

Thanks David!
          The orange wire to the relay has been cut at the board end and at the relay.Is that all I need to do to disconnect correctly?

I replaced the 200/50 cap and the diode has continuity only one way.The coil (or inductor?)looks good also. If I replace the orange wire to the relay it should work right?

I would love any tips on how to improve this leslie from you or anybody else! Different caps,tubes,resistors,etc.

I dont think I'll change it to 2 speeds.

The new crossover caps made a huge difference! Easy too.

Comment

If you hook up the brake according to the schematic on the side of the amp, it should work. I don't have the wire colors memorized.

The most important tip I can give you on a 22H amp is to replace all red tubular "Tiny Chief" capacitors immediately if this hasn't already been done. I wouldn't turn the amp on with any of them still in-circuit due to their high failure rate.

Comment

What do you do to disconnect?Just cut the wire at/to the relay?

Yes. I recall a post about Tiny Griefs!

I just replace all caps.Some of the others were split open!

The ceramics are usually good.(the one in the "dog house"was bad and the one on the relay was way off)

Comment

Originally posted by wdog View Post
                What do you do to disconnect? Just cut the wire at/to the relay?
                There are a number of ways to disconnect the brake. Removing the wire to the relay is one. If I were permanently disabling the brake, I might remove the diode and the capacitor.

Comment

Is it at all viable to try to clone the 22H brake circuit? I'd like to get a brake in my 21H - I have one of the original plug-in brake units, and it's alright, but I've heard the 22H circuit was a better design. I have also heard good things about the Trek II solid state relay for one-speed Leslies (which I've heard has a good brake).

Comment

Originally posted by snacks View Post
                    Is it at all viable to try to clone the 22H brake circuit? I'd like to get a brake in my 21H - I have one of the original plug-in brake units, and it's alright, but I've heard the 22H circuit was a better design. I have also heard good things about the Trek II solid state relay for one-speed Leslies (which I've heard has a good brake).
                    I'm sure there are many ways to emulate this, but the 22H brake circuit relies on a 25 VAC winding on the primary of the Power Transformer. The 21H does not have this winding. I suppose you could make it work by swapping a 22H power transformer in, if it will fit, which I think it will. Then build it out from there.

Comment

Originally posted by muckelroy View Post
                      I suppose you could make it work by swapping a 22H power transformer in, if it will fit, which I think it will. Then build it out from there.
                      ...or add a small 24 volt doorbell transformer from the hardware store.
                      Roger Memphis
                      C-3 with O-M, 145, 122RV, 2 PR-40's, PSR-36
                      CV with HR-40, 2 B-40's

Comment

Working...
                      X