X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrim cloth replacement

1964 A-122 / 21H
    XK1-C / Neo Ventilator

I've never tried to put on a scrim cloth without removing the rotor. Sounds like a nightmare. Unless you have children or pets that might get hurt by the spinning drum, you might just leave the scrim off or put a lower louver panel in place. (Valhalla Woodworking can make a 21H style louver panel if it's missing.)

The reason the spindle won't come out is because the rubber grommets have glued themselves to the metal shaft over time. I'm not sure what to suggest, but I'd think that something could un-stick them, like some detergent or something of that nature. But it is certainly better not to crack the drum.
    I'm David. 'Dave' is someone else's name.

Comment

If the spindle grommets are already dry beyond service soaking them with WD40 or brake cleaner will get the spindle out of there.You would need new grommets anyways.
      The scrim 'ties' are put on wet which explains the tight wrap.Wet it down and get it as tight as possible.Wrap it in a quilt,put it in the clothes dryer,or grab a hair dryer!
      sigpic A100/251 A100/147 A102/222 B2/147 BCV/122 M3/145 M102/145
      Various modern keyboards and modules.

Comment

So, wet the entire scrim cloth, place it on the rotor and dry it with a hair dryer? Or just the tie parts? Or wet and dry the scrim cloth then put it on the rotor?
        1964 A-122 / 21H
        XK1-C / Neo Ventilator

Comment

With the scrim already on the rotor,take a spray bottle with water to the top where the string ties the fabric together.
          Then, after tightening as much as possible shrink dry it with a hair dryer.
          If that doesn't shrink it enough,try wetting the whole scrim and using the quilt/clothes dryer method.
          sigpic A100/251 A100/147 A102/222 B2/147 BCV/122 M3/145 M102/145
          Various modern keyboards and modules.

Comment

Aces Pete. First mission is to get the spindle out. Thanks a bunch.
            1964 A-122 / 21H
            XK1-C / Neo Ventilator

Comment

Success!! Thanks David and Pete. Played with it enough to pull the spindle out. Cleaned her up, put in new bearings and scrim cloth...replaced the belt and put it all back together and it runs really smooth!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1391.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	603908Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1396.JPG
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	603909
              1964 A-122 / 21H
              XK1-C / Neo Ventilator

Comment

Looks great! Was debating whether to put a scrim on mine and this makes the debate (in my head) even tougher. Really looks good but I have no small animals or children to worry about. May do some recording but I will probably just wait till then to decide if I get too much turbulence without the scrim. I'm basically lazy and this looks like a lot of fussing and fretting I may not need. Anyway, nice work bsquared!

Comment

Thanks Einstein!! Actually, it was fairly quick once I got the spindle free of the grommets. I'd do it again if this tears....but I'm hoping I'm dead before this needs replacing again! I don't know how big a deal it really is. A lot of guys don't have them and to be honest, if you couldn't se the back, I don't think anyone could tell....I just was trying to keep my 21-h as traditional as I could.
                  1964 A-122 / 21H
                  XK1-C / Neo Ventilator

Comment

I need to replace the scrim on my 145. i've read these threads and want to make sure I put the new scrim I have on correct. Am I to wet only the string ties and put the cloth on the drum and then hit it with a hair dryer? Or should I wet the whole cloth and put it on drum then hit it with hair dryer?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by carioca100 View Post
                      Am I to wet only the string ties and put the cloth on the drum and then hit it with a hair dryer? Or should I wet the whole cloth and put it on drum then hit it with hair dryer?
                      Here’s my process:

Soak the entire cloth in warm water and gently squeeze out the excess until it’s no longer dripping.
                      Blot the cloth inside and out with a paper towel.
                      It’s important to keep track of the strings throughout the process. Keep the 4 lengths even.
                      Iron the cloth on a medium heat, no steam setting by hanging the cloth over the pointed end of the board.
                      You should only be ironing one ply at a time. The cloth should not be folded on itself.
                      Rotate the cloth and continue to iron until all creases are gone. Again, keep track of the strings.
                      When you’re done ironing, the cloth should still be a little damp.
                      Important: Don’t let your wife see you do this or you’ll be assigned a new chore.

Now you’re ready to pull the cloth over the lower rotor. Again, keep track of the strings. When tying the strings, leave the loops about 3” long and cut the ends so they’re just about even with the loops. This will allow you to smoothly tuck the strings under the edge of the cloth. Your double knot should rest in the little notch provided in the edge of the cloth.

It’s important to buy a good fitting cloth. I like the one ClassicHammonds sells on eBay. I think they’re the same as Rick’s at TGH.

I never use a hair dryer. I allow them to air dry.

Name:	3C20ADD2-5EB1-4648-9C2D-D0AE5C393072.jpg
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	606449

Name:	8C0EEBA4-46F6-4E7C-806E-9C86FF8C6195.jpg
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	606450

Name:	B656A930-85B1-4CBB-9A7B-EEB22EC8BC45.jpg
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	606448

Comment

Thanks so much MarkM. I was going to tackle this tomorrow and I hadn't received a reply from anyone so I was going to wing it and according to your very good directions, I would have done it wrong. Excellent explanation. I will let you know how it goes.
                        you have an interesting Leslie. I am not familiar with your model and the motor to drive the rotor. Look very clean too. Un like the design of my 122 or 145.

thanks.

Comment

The scrim installation technique should work with any lower rotor. I've installed dozens on 122/147/251, shorties, and single speed. They're all the same. The pictured Leslie is a 30C. The Leslie was upside down during restoration for the second picture. It was upright for the third picture but the picture was 90 degrees off. Good luck with your installation. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

Working...
                          X