This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shortening a cable

I have a cable from the B3 to the 147 which is split/broken about three feet from each end. I was thinking of cutting off the plug part and re soldering on the plug again to get rid of the breaks . So I have a couple questions.

Are these ends reusable? Can the old solder be removed enough so insert the wires and harness it to the phenolic ends well enough.
    Is there an easier way to repair the break in the cable now without removing the end pieces - with perhaps and over sleeve and what suggestions would you have for a material to do this?

Thanks for looking and for your help

PGR
    Practise the theory...realize the practical
    Hammonds L100 /A100 /B3 Leslie 147 and 122 Yamaha E352 Key board driven in OVATIONS 15" 40 watt power

Yes - you can reuse the ends. If the wire conductors are OK you may be able to wrap it with electrical tape, but since I'm the anal type I usually fix it the right way.

Jim

Comment

The plugs and sockets can be re-used if you have the tools and soldering skills to desolder them without damaging them. For example, you need to get enough solder out of the plug pins to be able to reinsert the new wires. And it's easy to damage the socket contacts with too much force. A typical 25W soldering iron is probably not quite hot enough to do a good job on the plug pins.

And do check the condition of the insulation on the individual conductors inside the cable.
      I'm David. 'Dave' is someone else's name.

Comment

Hi Guys

Thanks for the notes That at least gives me the incentive to try to repair the cable. If I get the pin hot enough on removal I should be able to shake out a little more solder than the wire is carrying and that will help when I go to re solder the new section of wire back into the pin or on the female tab. I really don't want to lose the 3 feet from each end and shorten the cable but I don't want a broken cable even more

PGR.
        Practise the theory...realize the practical
        Hammonds L100 /A100 /B3 Leslie 147 and 122 Yamaha E352 Key board driven in OVATIONS 15" 40 watt power

Comment

Exemple of cable repair using rislan and heat shrink sleeve (Leslie 760)

Click image for larger version

Name:	5_Controls.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	603963

And now the cable is much more flexible.

JP

Comment

Google “solder sucker”

it’s better to use a higher heat and work quickly.

Comment

Nice work Jyvoipabo and better than the original

Comment

Originally posted by PGR View Post
                Can the old solder be removed enough so insert the wires and harness it to the phenolic ends well enough.
                I find that using a solder sucker/blower bulb to be more effective in removing the solder from the amphenol connector pins when compared to the typical spring loaded solder pump. This is mainly because the hole in the end of the sucker bulbs are of a larger diameter and you can get a good volume of 'suck' happening to draw out the 'large-ish' volume of solder in the pins. I normally heat the pins twice, first to pull the wire out from the rear, and then again when using the solder sucker (bulb) to clear the pins from the front. Gets them clean 95% of the time. The remainder, I have to fiddle with but have tried dropping them onto their pins (whilst hot) with some success.

Cheers,
                Peter
                Last edited by peterb_2795; 03-13-2018, 02:42 AM. Reason: clarity
                1966 C-3 / 925
                1965 M102 / 145
                1967 M111A / 330

Comment

Working...
                X