11 pin to 9 pin or Hammond XK3 to Leslie 760

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11 pin to 9 pin or Hammond XK3 to Leslie 760

Has anyone tried connecting an 11 pinned clone to a 9 pin Leslie?

My two concerns are Leslie sensing - can I reduce the B+ on the green wire to 12 vdc to do this? And secondly the issue of signal ground/control ground - can I share signal ground to both pins?

Any advice gratefully received!
    Hammond C3, M102, H112, XB3, XB5, X5, TTR-100
    Lowrey Heritage DSO-1, Yamaha E70
    Farfisa Compact Duo Mk2, Vox Continental 300, Gibson G201, Korg BX3 Mk1
    Leslie 122 x2, 145 x2, 910
    www.drawbardave.co.uk

11-pin. To. 9-pin
    Pin 1. Signal Pin 2
    Pin 4. Ground Pin 1
    Pin 8. Slow. Pin 7
    Pin 7. Fast. Pin 6
    Pin 11. B+. Pin 5

The B+ is around 30Vdc. A voltage divider in the XK3 will handle it.
    The two grounds are connected in the XK3. A 9-pin only has one ground. Pin 4 is audio ground in the XK. I would try that one first for the sake of keeping hum down. If there is hum, try pin 5.
    Of course the 9-pin Leslie gets its AC power directly from the mains, not from the XK.

Geo

Comment

Thank you very much George! I had hoped it would be that simple. I was going to add a separate power cable to the Leslie anyway. Just waiting for another plug to arrive now.
      www.drawbardave.co.uk

Comment

George if I changed the 9 pin in the 760 to an 11 pin then added a power. It’d what type relay would I need for power on and what pins would activate it.
        Thanks jimikeys

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Conley View Post
          George if I changed the 9 pin in the 760 to an 11 pin then added a power. It’d what type relay would I need for power on and what pins would activate it.
          Thanks jimikeys
          You don’t need to add a relay. See above, it can be achieved without making the Leslie non standard. The only change is to add an external power cable and disconnect the ac from the 9 pin receptacle on the power supply.
          www.drawbardave.co.uk

Comment

Wouldn’t the Leslie be on all the time when it is plugged in?

Comment

Yes it would. You would unplug it when you needed it off. The relay proposition is an option that is doable but complicated. It would be a totally custom job. For example, you would need a standby circuit in the Leslie which doesn’t currently exist.

Geo

Comment

11 pin has a switched AC cable as well as a Leslie cable, the 760 gets AC from an organ or the wall(or CMP pedal) and has no AC cable per se.
                Which is why I have an on/off switch on my 760 interface boxes. Also have an RFI filter AC cable receptacle because the 760 is hi-z single ended!
                It works fine with halfmoons or foot switches. Common to both is all 1/4" stereo plugs. You can use the modern Hammond CU-1 with it.
                I have one floor switch set to fast/off and another fast/slow.

Refer to the pinout assignments of the 760.
                The ability to switch on/off the AC is with a switch on pin 4 IIRC.
                A100/251 A100/147 A102/222 B2/142 BV/147 BCV/145 M3/145 M102/145 M111/770 L101/760 T222/HL722 M111/770 no B3/C3!

Comment

Thanks guys for the input. Very helpful.

Comment

Hello all,

I have a question about this wiring.
                    Pin 1. Signal Pin 2
                    Pin 4. Ground Pin 1
                    Pin 8. Slow. Pin 7
                    Pin 7. Fast. Pin 6
                    Pin 11. B+. Pin 5

This is to connect an XK5 (11pin) to a 760 (9pin)
                    It is clear that it can work if the speed control is done by a contact (Half moon or =)
                    But the HK5 speed controls are open collector NPN transistors which operate with a positive voltage or zero (ON).
                    And it seems, on the 760, the control voltages are negative or zero (ON).
                    Is it really compatible?
                    Shouldn't you add a coupling device such as a relay or a transistor powered by B +?

JP
                    The XK5 Leslie interface is similar XK3 for speed control.

Comment

Hello.

With a point-to-point connection, the speed control does not work.
                      This is explained here : http://www2.cs.uidaho.edu/~rinker/msckt.pdf (Thank's Bob Rinker).
                      But the proposed solution seems a bit complicated.
                      For those who are not familiar with electronics. There is the relay solution. Indeed the transistors of the XK3 (or HK5) can switch 50V under 2A. That's more than it takes to control a relay and provide the 760 the contact it needs.
                      And this exists all the way among the Chinese.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	2ChanelRelayModule.jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.3 KB ID:	758318
                      Just add an auxiliary 12V power supply and I think it should work.
                      JP

Comment

I use a circuit with relays such as JP suggests to interface my 11 pin Viscount Legend to the 760 ecosystem. No problems at all, should work equally well on a Hammond.
                        Current organs: AV, M-3, A-100
                        Current Leslies: 22H, 122, 770

Comment

That is what I thought.
                          And, in my opinion, this problem can be solved with only 2 transistors and 5 resistors. I did the project.
                          I don't think I forgot anything.
                          -Motors control using basic transistor design.
                          -Audio output level of the organ Pin 1/11 can be adjusted up to 10V Rms. That's more than enough for the 760.
                          -Leslie detect Pin11/11