Forum Top Banner Ad

Collapse

Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leslie 251 reverb boxes desperately needed.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leslie 251 reverb boxes desperately needed.

I purchased Leslie 251. Unfortunately guy ripped me off. It was my first Leslie and I just trust people too much. I didn't unscrew and open the back of the Leslie speaker. After playing a while I noticed lack of low end. My A-105 internal speakers sounds good. They have really nice deep bass. After talking to couple techs I got more info. Those boxes are quite important actually. They block and isolate the bass sound. The openings should be closed. I am missing upper motor casing as well. Any help is appreciated.

If you have a 251 there should be a couple of 6X9 speakers mounted on the inside of the Leslie below the horn section, in most cases these were connected to a separate channel in the Leslie amplifier, these 6X9 speakers were connected to the reverb amplifier in the Hammond like a A100, but there is no reverb unit in the Leslie, the 251 Leslie did have a dual channel amp, most players didn't use them......Having said that, there is a crossover box that separates the signal between the horn and main speaker sections.....The Crossover box was not connected to the 6X9 so called reverb speakers because they were on a separate channel in the Leslie amp.......I believe the 251 was designed for Conn Organs, but a lot of them were used on Hammonds, I had a 251 for a while, I never actually connected it to my A100, it was setup to be used by lead guitar players, Peter Frampton used Leslie's all the time.....So there is NO reverb unit/ Box in a 251 Leslie to my knowledge......If you are missing the Crossover box you would not have a full sound, in fact I am not sure how it would work much at all without the crossover box distributing the hz level to each speaker.......

Click image for larger version

Name:	page3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	606098

Comment

Hey JIm
      251 was specifically designed for A series Hammond
      yes i have two 6x9 reverb speakers on the sides
      they are connected to 251 amp which is 2 channel
      so we are on the same page
      everything works fine however i am missing woodwork/inside parts

please have a look at that

http://www.organmusiccenter.com/leslie.html

you should see 2 black boxes on the sides and railing
      they are covering reverb speakers, they also cover two round holes on each side on the upper baffle (board)
      i am missing third box as well (the one covering the upper motor)
      it is also important but i can buy it new for $50
      the other two i have no idea how to get them

those 3 boxes together separate completely middle section from top section.
      now part of my bass is going wrong direction
      leslie is a bass reflex cabinet. everything is designed properly

thank you

Comment

The 251 was designed for 'most 2 channel organs'. Conn being the one that specifically wired some of the organs for the 251. It matches the A100, M100 and E100 very nicely, though.

I would suggest that you buy some plywood and make the covers, it will cost you less than $50. Perhaps a 251 owner might measure the parts and give you the dimensions!
        It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
        Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
        Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
        Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Do you have a picture of the inside of your cabinet ????? A picture of some other cabinet is only some what useful when trying to determine issues with your cabinet.......

Comment

Originally posted by woocaash View Post
            ...everything works fine however i am missing woodwork/inside parts

you should see 2 black boxes on the sides and railing
            they are covering reverb speakers, they also cover two round holes on each side on the upper baffle (board)
            i am missing third box as well (the one covering the upper motor)
            it is also important but i can buy it new for $50

--> the other two i have no idea how to get them
            thank you

Click image for larger version

Name:	6x9-cover.jpg
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	606110Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0758.jpg
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	606111Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0761.jpg
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	606112

Reverb box external dimensions
            ------------------------------------
            Values given in real numbers and those strange 'merican units... :)

Height: 207mm (8 1/4")
            Width: 287mm (11 5/16")
            Depth: 89mm (3 1/2")

Thickness sides: 15mm (5/8")
            Thickness cover: 12mm (1/2")

HTH,
            Peter
            Last edited by peterb_2795; 07-23-2018, 09:16 PM. Reason: typo
            1966 C-3 / 925
            1965 M102 / 145
            1967 M111A / 330

Comment

Thanks for giving the dimensions, Peter, but ,er, since when have good old 'Imperial Measurement' inches been American? :D
              It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
              Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
              Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
              Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Originally posted by andyg View Post
                Thanks for giving the dimensions, Peter, but ,er, since when have good old 'Imperial Measurement' inches been American? :D
                Oops, yup certainly originally pommie Imperial Measurement units...

But, methinks that unless you are playing with nuts, bolts and threads that use every measurement system known to mankind, then there are only the laggards on the other side of the pond that actually still regularly use them thar strange 'Imperial Measurements'. Poms went metric in 1965, Oz were 9 years later in 1974 yet the US seems to steadfastly hang on to the old feet and inches.

Has anyone here tried explaining imperial measurements (or even worse), the old pound, shillings and pence to a 15yr old post-millennial? They give you a most strange look... I once told my young feller that my school bus fare used to be a 'penny three farthings' and he thought I was talking martian!

Aviation is even more bizarre, height in feet, speed in knots, distances in metres, fuel in litres, USgals, ImpGal, Llbs, Kgs and (tonnes), pressure in Inches, Millibars and Pascal. That's the beauty of standards ... everyone has one !

:) P
                1966 C-3 / 925
                1965 M102 / 145
                1967 M111A / 330

Comment

thank you very much Peter
                  all help is appreciated

i was thinking of building the boxes but it was common practice to remove reverb speakers and install new reverb that goes to the main speakers
                  maybe somebody still has them

A100 JIm - that was funny / my cabinet is missing those boxes so you simply cannot see it inside of my cabinet ;-p

Comment

The set of 'through bolts' that fasten the boxes? Do you have those? Or will you be needing them ?
                    The bolt retainers are similar to drum lugs with a lip to fasten the right angle.
                    Noticed a small rattle on my 251 before I turned the bolts a bit tighter!All good now.
                    My second channel isn't hooked up,but the speakers and boxes AND bolts are still in there.
                    Had the P15LL reconed and it's great!
                    A100/251 A100/147 A102/222 B2/142 BV/147 BCV/145 M3/145 M102/145 M111/770 L101/760 T222/HL722 M111/770 no B3/C3!

Comment

i don't have bolts / i need them
                      otherwise i will have to take different approach to mount them

Comment

The "bolts" are just threaded rod...if you have access to a drill, hacksaw, and a vise...you should be able to duplicate the factory mounting system with a quick trip to your local hardware store for about $10.00.
                        1963 C-3 147 Leslie
                        1972 X-77GT 2 - 77P Leslie
                        Kurzweil K 2000

Comment

Originally posted by woocaash View Post
                          i was thinking of building the boxes but it was common practice to remove reverb speakers and install new reverb that goes to the main speakers
                          maybe somebody still has them
                          If you find or build boxes and need the hardware, IM me.

Comment

There you go. Someone already has what you are looking for!
                            251 is one of my favorites,more iron on those trannys!
                            My A100 has been thanking me ever since i got it......
                            A100/251 A100/147 A102/222 B2/142 BV/147 BCV/145 M3/145 M102/145 M111/770 L101/760 T222/HL722 M111/770 no B3/C3!

Comment

i would like to thank you guys for your help
                              enjoy the summer

Comment

Working...
                              X