This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leslie 147 240V

I have a 240VAC UK version Leslie amplifier. The rest of the cabinet is long gone. Original functional Leslie 6550s in there!

I want to rack up the amp and use it (with some kind of a preamp circuit obviously) but I would like to convert it to 110VAC. Does anyone know how different the components are? Is it just the transistor or is there more to this? (My Vox AC30 has a voltage switch, I wish the Leslie was as simple!)

Since the motors are gone, presumably, you don't have to worry about their voltage rating.

For 120VAC operation, you can either use a step-up transformer or install a 120VAC power transformer, which you can get from Classic Tone, model 40-18048. If you're only ever going to use it on 120VAC from now on, I would probably replace the power transformer.

I'm guessing you meant to type 'transformer' when you wrote 'transistor.'
    I'm David. 'Dave' is someone else's name.

Comment

Only difference is the power transformer. Even the motors are the same between 120V and 240V tube Leslies - all tube Leslies use 120V motors. The 120V is supplied to the motors via a "half-way" tap on the primary side of the 240V power transformer.
      Current organs: AV, M-3, A-100
      Current Leslies: 22H, 122, 770

Comment

Originally posted by enor View Post
        Only difference is the power transformer. Even the motors are the same between 120V and 240V tube Leslies - all tube Leslies use 120V motors. The 120V is supplied to the motors via a "half-way" tap on the primary side of the 240V power transformer.
        And, as such, you could probably sell the 240V PT you remove to someone in Europe who might need one, especially since replacement 230/240V PTs cost roughly twice what regular 120V PTs do.

So, whatever you do, desolder the old PT wires; don't just cut them like some folks do.
        I'm David. 'Dave' is someone else's name.

Comment

Working...
        X